The Student Room Group

Which Subjects should I take if I want to study Law in University?

well, I'm a Hong Kong Student which would study IB starting next month.
I have to take Chinese, English and Mathematics, but what could I choose next?

Please help me to choose either:
Psychology or History,
then its Business Studies or Economics

lastly, I'm going to take ENS as well...

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

History!!!! The ability to structure an argument, argue a point eloquently and fluently citing evidence and challenging historical interpretations over time.... I seem to think it's the most relevant subject to Law.

But really, Universities are fine with any set of academic subjects for Law.
Reply 2
I agree with toiletpaper (lol). As long as you have strong academic subjects (of which History is definitely one), you will be fine. History is the most relevant for Law.
Reply 3
History and Economics are (as far as I know) more respected than Psychology and Business Studies.
Reply 4
Of your options I'd say do history and economics, but does that cover all of the necessary subjects to get the diploma? If not, you might want to reconsider, as the subjects on their own aren't as well recognised. What is ENS? And will you do English as a native language? To get the diploma you'll need to do: Native language, foreign language, a science, maths, a humanities and either an art or an elective (a 2nd from any other group).
I'm hoping to study law and I do English, German, history, psychology, maths and biology.
Good luck :smile:
Draconis
History and Economics are (as far as I know) more respected than Psychology and Business Studies.

Agreed. The toiletpaper man has spoken!! Further comments are useless.

Lol, but yea, seriously, History is definitely great for Law, and anything with "studies" in it (apart from Religious Studies, just so I don't incite a flame war) isn't considered academic by most universities.

E.g. General studies, Media studies, Business studies (weak version of economics only to be taken if 1.) you're doing economics at university AND 2.) economics isn't an available option), Theatre studies... you get the point...

So do Economics.
Reply 6
economics or history in my opinion
they both would work well with Law.
Reply 7
right...no subject is better for law than the other...they all have positives....for example, the sciences help for law because they involve logical and lateral thinking...you apply concepts you have learned to new situations....just like when you learn precedent cases, you apply these to new cases......equally, an Art subject like History helps you to learn how to properly structure an argument etc.....so all subjects have positives.
universities don't give a toss what subjects you do...all they care about, is that you get high marks in your chosen subjects...so just do a) what you would enjoy more and b) what you are going to get really high marks in....
i did a really random set of subjects and the universities didn't care!
Razzories
well, I'm a Hong Kong Student which would study IB starting next month.
I have to take Chinese, English and Mathematics, but what could I choose next?

Please help me to choose either:
Psychology or History,
then its Business Studies or Economics

lastly, I'm going to take ENS as well...

Thanks

Well...you know the format for the IB program right?

You would need:

Chinese A1
English A2 or English B
Mathematics
History
Biology, Chemistry, or Physics
Arts or another Science

By the way...what's ENS? :s-smilie:
Reply 9
dafunkyguy
Well...you know the format for the IB program right?

You would need:

Chinese A1
English A2 or English B
Mathematics
History
Biology, Chemistry, or Physics
Arts or another Science

By the way...what's ENS? :s-smilie:

He doesn't HAVE to do History. He can do any group 3 subject, plus another one which can replace group 6 (Arts). So he's trying to decide which two to choose. (I'd suggest History and Economics as well).

And he doesn't have to do Biology, Chemistry, or Physics for group 4. If they're offered, he can also do Design Technology or Environmental Systems & Societies (which, I'm assuming is what ENS means).
Mr. Shiver
He doesn't HAVE to do History. He can do any group 3 subject, plus another one which can replace group 6 (Arts). So he's trying to decide which two to choose. (I'd suggest History and Economics as well).

And he doesn't have to do Biology, Chemistry, or Physics. If they're offered, he can also do Design Technology or Environmental Systems & Societies (which, I'm assuming is what ENS means).

Well...in my opinion...I think History is the best choice out of the 4 options...that's why I put it there in the first place. :biggrin:

I didn't know that you can replace a group 6 subject with a group 3 subject...well...if that's the case...then Economics should be the second option.

I thought you could only replace a group 6 subject with a group 4 subject...never knew that it could be replaced by a group 3 subject. Oh well...thanks. :smile:
Philosophy! Never forget philosophy!
Reply 12
Group 6 can be replaced by any subject. You could do a second math course (usually Further Mathematics), or even a third language course.
Reply 13
It shouldn't really matter which subjects you pick. It's not like medicine where you're required to pick certain subjects.
Reply 14
Toiletpaper8
History!!!! The ability to structure an argument, argue a point eloquently and fluently citing evidence and challenging historical interpretations over time.... I seem to think it's the most relevant subject to Law.

But really, Universities are fine with any set of academic subjects for Law.

Can I use that for my PS?!
LOL
shamrock92
Philosophy! Never forget philosophy!

Well...maybe philosophy isn't offered at their school...though that's a good suggestion. :biggrin:
Reply 16
In my opinion history and econ is a great match, coz these 2 subjects hv a great link to each other.
my advice is that take HLs on econ and history --> ur group 3 subjects and the A2 or B language that ur taking.
Reply 17
thanks, i think I'll take:
A1: English
A2: Chinese
Mathematics (SL)
ENS (SL) (i forgot about the offcial name of it..but its something similar to geography and science....)
Economics (HL)
History (HL)
Reply 18
nice pick. and i assume you will take A2 chinese as HL right?

btw which HK school you are in?
Reply 19
jc_bach
nice pick. and i assume you will take A2 chinese as HL right?

btw which HK school you are in?

Actually, I'm not gonna take A2 Chinese as HL...
and I study at Yew Chung International School, what about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending