The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
gravsie
Hi, just a question for any one thinking about going to surrey or probably more helpful anyone already there.

Im applying for halls at university and I have chosen university court but now realise the ensuite is pointless.

But is it needed or its just a luxury? And is Catherdral court a good choice? It looks really good just concerned its not as close to the central hub.

Thanks for any help.

Depends on the person, as your a lad im gona asssume its more of a luxury. It is good to have your own bathroom though, it just makes life a lot easier. University court is proper good tho man, its close to town and the railway station. Its also close to the uni bar and the union. but far enough away so that the noise isn't that bad. Cathedral court is good as well, and its closer than you might first think to the central hub. If u get university court though you'll like it there. What course are you doing btw?
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Im a geek and going to do civil engineering :biggrin:

Im thinking of going to change my choice to cathedral first and university second though because cathedrals got a pool table plus it seems a lot more socialable from what people say just dont know what its actually like at surrey in particular.

Also, yeah essentially catherdral or university as no.1?

And how cosy is cosy for the kitchens in cathedral if anyone knows?
Reply 3
gravsie

Im thinking of going to change my choice to cathedral first and university second though because cathedrals got a pool table plus it seems a lot more socialable from what people say just dont know what its actually like at surrey in particular.

Civil engineering ftw
On the tour I went on on the interview day we saw some rooms in cathedral court. The kitchen is small, they had had to put all their pots n pans n stuff on the actual table as there wasn't enough room elsewhere to put them.
You could always apply to go in one of the shared flats in uni court or twyford, onli 4/5 people sharing 1/2 bathrooms and a kitchen so not too bad. Also it's £18 per week cheaper than ensuite.
Hiya I'm a current student at Surrey and I lived in Stag Hill during term and then moved into Cathedral court over the summer (I have a teaching job in g.ford).

Cathedral court is in my opinion the worst band C accomodation of the lot. The kitchens are tiny, in most if not all other halls you get one large and one small cupboard for food/crockery storage in the kitchen plus a shelf space in the fridge and in most halls a shelf space in the freezer. In Cath court there is only 5-6 shelves in the fridge/freezer and you get 2 small cupboards, if you're lucky one big, one small. The kitchens are definitely 'cosy'!!!
Cath court halls are also one of the last to be updated, they're due to be renovated next year and as a result some houses are in need of a bit of a repair. My room this summer had a large recurring black mouldy patch on the ceiling above my bed due to the flat roof leaking...niiiiice.

Stag Hill is often overlooked as it is so close to the union, I lived in the second row of houses and wasn't disturbed by the noise, yes you can hear the union, (particularly on 'bling' RnB night!) but its not a loud enough level to keep you awake. Stag hill is popular because the rooms are divided into pairs and each pair (of the same sex) shares a bathroom. The bathrooms are literally outside your bedroom door so it makes it practically ensuite, much better than sharing 4 toilets/showers between 14 as in Battersea/Surrey court.

There are some Band C rooms (non-ensuite) in University court but there aren't that many so tend to get snapped up quickly. I think you share two bathrooms and a nice newish large kitchen between 5 or 6 people.

Whether you take an ensuite room or not is entirely up to how you feel about sharing showers/loos with a large number of other people.

The liveliest halls of residence are probably Battersea/Surrey court.

With reference to being close to the central hub, Cath court isn't really the most central - Battersea is probably the closest to the centre of campus. Cath court is really convenient if you're a PATS student (Music/Dance/Sound Recording etc) and is the closest to the library and the laundrette.

Twyford, International House, Millenium House and University court are the newest halls of res (on campus) so are generally the nicer looking, better condition halls.

Stag hill and Surrey court were being renovated over the summer so should be in good condition (i.e no mould, new fittings etc) for 08 freshers.

Hope this helps!
Oh and one more thing, if you live in en-suite accomodation, your bathroom is not cleaned for you (although loo roll is provided by the cleaners) and in Millenium and International house you're expected to take out the rubbish in the kitchen yourself (in all other halls the cleaners do it). This is normally the biggest cause of arguments unsurprisingly cos no one ever does it!
Reply 7
gravsie

Of the two choices, University court by far.

Battersea also has a pool table, but it costs £1 a go... so not fantastic. Snooker is free, however. Afaik, the pool table in Cathedral is no longer working.

The problem with Cathedral is the size. The rooms are ok (provided you don't have a lot of desk based equipment). But the Kitchens are impossibly small. This is because they used to be actual bedrooms back when Cathedral was catered accomodation. The showers are tiny too! But if you like a cozy atmosphere, then it is perfectly fine :smile:.
If you want sociable, battersea/surrey (they're one and the same now after the recent refurbs) are the way forward, if you want to live a bit more comfortably go for university court ensuite. Although I was in battersea last year and found sharing showers toilets fine and found them to be always clean (although that might just be my flatmates).

Latest

Trending

Trending