The Student Room Group

Help with Topics for Math Studies Internal Assessment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You know these are all good topics but they are all from statistics. I need to write IA in 2-3 days and I don't have a topic but I'm pretty positive that it cannot be statistics. That's the only chapter I truly dont get and hate and suck at it.

Any ideas how to find a topic for other chapters? Especially logic and probability would be nice. Or maybe financial or something. To be honest anything's fine as long as it's not statistics.

The only three sample works I was able to find are also all from statistics ;(
Reply 21
hey guys i need help with my math IA SL....i would like to do it about probabilities but i cant define the example...thanks!
Reply 22
hey guys i need help with my math IA SL....i would like to do it about probability but i cant define the example...thanks!
HELP! S.O.S.

Tomorrow I have to give my teacher completed version of my Math project and I just understood that I have to change my topic!!!! my topic was: How does the CO2 amount in the air depend on the area of forests in Lithuania?
And there is not data on amount of CO2!!! only emission. I am sooo lost.
Maybe someone could suggest me a topic which would be very easy and with wich I would get at least 10 points?

seriously, help!!!
Originally Posted by seeblueforever
my topic was if the height and weight of an NHL player affected how many goals they scored in a season. it was really easy and i got a 19/20 on it- lost a point in the conclusion apparently. hope that helps

Hey can you tell me what calculations you used? I'm supposed to turn in an Intro by friday and I don't have a clue what to do my project on but this sounds pretty good. I'm probably gonna do it with baseball players though. Any kind of help would be really appreciated :smile:
Reply 25
What's the difference between 'information/measurement' and 'mathematical processes'?
Reply 26
Hey guys! Please please please help me choose a topic for my math IA. I am thinking of doing the hours spent watching tv and school averages but my teacher says that it is too common. I need to start working on it this week itself. Thanks in advance.
Reply 27
Original post by kate 25
I did a stats report - comparing the literacy rates of 50 countries and their birth rates. After doing geography I already knew there would be a correlation, so I just did tables, scatterplots, regression analysis, box and whisker plots ... whatever you can think of. I got a 7. To be honest, I would suggest getting your data from elsewhere rather than collecting it yourself. The IB aren't looking at how well you can collect data (and it takes up so much time). As long as you can verify its validity (i.e. I emailed the editor of the book I got the results from and asked him some questions about sources etc) they're happy.

Hi, what do you mean by regression analysis? Did you find the line of best fit or something? Thank you!
Reply 28
Original post by seeblueforever
my topic was if the height and weight of an NHL player affected how many goals they scored in a season. it was really easy and i got a 19/20 on it- lost a point in the conclusion apparently. hope that helps

Hey, I'm doing something similar but with soccer players, what was you What did you measure? and what was your Correlation?

Any
advice?
Reply 29
Hey I have a question, What type of math did you use for this topic?
Original post by kate 25
I did a stats report - comparing the literacy rates of 50 countries and their birth rates. After doing geography I already knew there would be a correlation, so I just did tables, scatterplots, regression analysis, box and whisker plots ... whatever you can think of. I got a 7. To be honest, I would suggest getting your data from elsewhere rather than collecting it yourself. The IB aren't looking at how well you can collect data (and it takes up so much time). As long as you can verify its validity (i.e. I emailed the editor of the book I got the results from and asked him some questions about sources etc) they're happy.

Would you mind sending me the name of the book?
Reply 31
Im cursing Math Studies and for my Internal Assessment i chose to analyse the mathematical aspect of why do bees honeycombs are made up of little hexagons and not triangles or squares, but i think it doesnt have a lot of maths involved in it, apart from the basic of geometry. Any comment? advice? Thanks!!
Original post by kate 25

were you taking hl? no idea on exploration. please give me a hand.
Reply 33
How do you organized your data ? Do you find the birth rates by year or how did you collected it ?
Hello!
I've already come up with a topic, actually, but my teacher want us to think of backup topics :s-smilie:. . .do anyone have any suggestions/tips?
I'm fresh out of ideas.
I've just completed my Maths studies IA and I did the distribution of Smarties colours and anaylsed the results to see if it was random. It was mainly a stats project but I had fun eating them after!
Reply 36
hi I really need help with my math IA it's due tomorrow my investigation is about "dining in and out a restaurant "I wanted to use tables and graphs but I don't really know what to write
Reply 37
can anyone plz help me with my mates ia my subject or investigation is on
Reply 38
I have a subject but I don't know how to start or what to write I wanted to do tables and graphs but what equation should I use and how
Reply 39
could you send me a copy of what you've done so it (hopefully) inspires my writings ? I would be very gratefull if you could do that ( as you probably guessed i got deadlines coming up^^). In case you are ok with this pm me.
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending