The Student Room Group

How important is the reference on UCAS?

Just wondered, because I'm getting my reference from someone not from my school, who probably hasn't done many/any UCAS references before, would it affect on me if they don't write a very good one?

Scroll to see replies

It's almost as vital as your Personal Statement, really, when you take into consideration that the person writing it is also considered.
Its probably best to get someone at your school to do it. This is because the university does usually expect the reference to be academic and come from someone like a personal tutor.
Its also important for the writer of the reference to have practice and knowledge about UCAS and what the Universities basically what to see in an applicant.

The reference is possibly even more important that the Personal Statement. Most admissions tutors will read it, whereas not all will sit down and read every PS.

If you let someone inexperienced write a reference on your behalf you could easily be shooting yourself in the foot. I really wouldnt recommend it.
What MM said, get someone academic to write it because it will look better coming from them. Good luck with the application.
Reply 4
mollymustard
Its probably best to get someone at your school to do it. This is because the university does usually expect the reference to be academic and come from someone like a personal tutor.
Its also important for the writer of the reference to have practice and knowledge about UCAS and what the Universities basically what to see in an applicant.

Well I left school in 2006, they wouldn't do it for me when I asked, and to be fair probably can't remember who I am really

I've just dropped out of uni after 1 year, and am reapplying for different courses and unis. The course convenor from my original course has agreed to write it for me - so they are academic, but I don't think they really know how UCAS works, and also can be a bit hyperbolic and OTT (the course was Theatre Studies though, so I suppose it's to be expected); when I originally told them I was leaving, and gave my reasons, she emailed back saying she admires that I'm going to go out and change the world :s-smilie: (I'm going for Politics this time). So that's what I'm worried about really.
Reply 5
RightSaidJames
It's almost as vital as your Personal Statement, really, when you take into consideration that the person writing it is also considered.

Get someone at your school (ie. one of your teachers) to write your reference.
Reply 6
To be honest, in my opinion, it doesn't help you get a place at university because virtually everyone's reference will be really good such that it doesn't act as a discriminator. But to not have a good one in the first place does put you at a disadvantage.

My point is that the reference (unless it mentions exceptional things/things you weren't able to mention on your UCAS form (like 100% modules or something)) only really brings you up to a 0 level. A bad reference, however, brings you down into the negatives.
Reply 7
I would have said more important than your PS.
Swayum
To be honest, in my opinion, it doesn't help you get a place at university because virtually everyone's reference will be really good such that it doesn't act as a discriminator. But to not have a good one in the first place does put you at a disadvantage.

My point is that the reference (unless it mentions exceptional things/things you weren't able to mention on your UCAS form (like 100% modules or something)) only really brings you up to a 0 level. A bad reference, however, brings you down into the negatives.

Yeah, this. :smile:

I would try to get an academic reference.. but if that's really not an option, OP, then it might be an idea to ask around to see if any past applicants on TSR are willing to PM you their own references. That way, you could show it to your referee as a sample reference, which may give them a better idea of what needs to be included. Just a thought.

*shrugs*
Reply 9
*pitseleh*
Yeah, this. :smile:

I would try to get an academic reference.. but if that's really not an option, OP, then it might be an idea to ask around to see if any past applicants on TSR are willing to PM you their own references. That way, you could show it to your referee as a sample reference, which may give them a better idea of what needs to be included. Just a thought.

*shrugs*

I'm kind of in the same situation as the OP. None of my teachers has experience with writing references for UK unis and neither they nor I know what should be included. If someone would be so kind as to link me to a sample reference or PM me their reference, I'm sure it would be of great help ^^
Refer them to the UCAS reference guide which will give them an idea of the things to write about.
Reply 11
Ah excellent, thankyou silent ninja :smile:
Reply 12
Very important but not as important as your PS in my opinion.
Very important. It doesn't all have to be written by one person by the way. At our school you could get a section from a tutor and the head, also subject teachers I believe. You could always get this reference to write part of it and send it to your main referee at school/college to add it in?
Reply 14
Very important? :frown: 7 of my teachers left over/after the first year of sixth form, and this year I have 6 new teachers out of 9 (some of who are new to teaching and all of who are new to the course). When they were asked to write my reference they barely even knew my name yet alone what I'm like so it was all very generic. I saw a part of it a while ago, and it could have been about anyone...
I was hoping that the reference wouldn't be too important :frown:
Reply 15
More important than your PS, I'd say. Because you could making up a bunch of lies in your PS, and they want someone with authority to show more about the student
Reply 16
Is the reference really that important..? because i got my reference written a week ago from my old principle who i always got on with and i was really happy with it and sent it off last week. And now today i found out that one of the girls in the course that im doing who was in my year at school has the exact same reference as me...word for word..:mad: can anyone tell me will this effect my application really badly? im so worried about it now especially as we both happen to have some of the same universities down to do the same course..:frown:
is it important for your reference letter to include points about why I should be accepted into a certain program? I applied for medicine but my teacher didn't bring up medicine at all in my letter......................................... is this going to put me at a disadvantage?
Reply 18
It is good if someone who taught you wrote it.
Reply 19
It is important, but I highly doubt that it will prohibit you from studying a particular course just because your statement was not the best. Make up for it by an amazing personal statement.

Quick Reply