The Student Room Group

Gap Year scholarships/funding/paid work in Fr/Sp

Hey everyone!

Basically, as results day draws nearer, I realise I still haven't done anything about a gap year and have very little money left in the bank. I am planning on applying to uni next year for Spanish and French and so I preferably need something in France, Spain or a South American country.

I know there are many companies around where, if you have £1000 or so to spend you can have a great time with turtle conservation or working in an orphanage etc. but I need to find something that earns me enough money to cover flights and living costs so that I come back at least not any worse off than I left.

Basically, does anyone know of any funding or grants available at this late stage that I could apply to or has anyone found work in France or Spain without the help of any gap year company who would be willing to share their experiences with me and give me some advice on who to approach because, although I am doing A-level and AEA's in both and expecting A's, I wouldn't say my French or Spanish is good enough to start ringing round random companies and expect them to be at all impressed!

I'd be so grateful for any help anyone can offer...panicking slightly since its nearly results time!!! :eek:
Reply 1
Or you could get a job and save up to fund your plans?

On a more helpful note, look up Leonardo Da Vinci Compass/Horizon schemes. Although they haven't updated their site for a while. Hmmm...
Reply 2
Try the EVS
If you want a job in France/Spain, google siblu, eurocamp, canvas, PGL. Try www.seasonworkers.com and search for jobs in France/Spain. I'm working for siblu in France atm, a lot of the customers and at least half of the staff are French, but because there's a lot of english customers they employ English people who don't speak French. It's great because you can get a job with limited French skills but still have a great chance to learn. They pay for you to get here and you get accomodation and stuff aswell. The moneys pretty decent and the jobs not hard. This is all summer stuff, you could do a winter season in the alps or something aswell/instead, I've never done this so I don't know much about it but look on the seasonworkers site if you want to find out more.

Latest