The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ramadulla
Why the hell is ‘pupils’ in quotation marks?
For effect.
(which requires the use of finger print recognition in order to go any further!). I don’t think you need that sentence. If you insist on it, I would go for ‘….evidence provided, which requires the use of finger print recognition in order to be taken further.
Okay, thank you.
Every year, surplus money is saved until enough is accumulated… for general use? Improvements?
That is explained in the next sentence (Laptops/iMac computers)
Such high technology sounds odd. Sophisticated technology?
Yeah, sure.

But... for what effect?

I know it's explained in the next sentence for that year. But I just think the sentence before would benefit from having a general explanation on the end. Like this is what we do, and this year the example is... kind of thing. Your call.
upturnedpalms
But... for what effect?

I know it's explained in the next sentence for that year. But I just think the sentence before would benefit from having a general explanation on the end. Like this is what we do, and this year the example is... kind of thing. Your call.

Ok, thankyou :smile: What grade do you think it will receive overall?
Ramadulla
Ok, thankyou :smile: What grade do you think it will receive overall?

I'm still going here! Let me do the rest.

But GCSE tends to be more about ticking boxes than anything, so if you get it sorted out technically then I think you can manage an A. A* needs something a bit special, usually. But hey, I know nothing.
Next chunk.

Network Issues:
We’ve always had an issue with the school network becoming congested with unnecessary files and folders. For this reason, we’ve decided on a scheme which may prevent this from happening.
Disk quotas (the amount of space one can store on a computer drive) are set up for use from this September. Students in years 7-9 are will be issued with a quota of 20MB, which is enough for a complete year’s work. The majority of year 10 and 11 students, who are undertaking coursework extensive courses such as Media Studies, will have their quota increased to 65MB in order to facilitate the extra amount of work. The option ICT group taking the OCR National course will have their quota increased to 100MB to compliment the extensive amount of work the course requires.
However, this schematic approach will cause problems if a pupil finds the disk space they have been provided with of insufficient size. This is because we are using the ‘one time option approach’. This means that, if a pupil asks for a higher quota, their current quota would be formatted during the increase. This is because the data will have to overwrite itself in order for the extra disk space to take effect.
It is therefore essential that a new external server is set up to freely allow IT teachers and technicians the flexibility of increasing and decreasing the size of quotas. After a long discussion, it has been decided that the ideal server to purchase is ‘Dell PowerEdge T105’, which costs £149 and is endorsed by Dell.
After installing the new server, students will be encouraged to use their quota effectively because extra space will cost money. This is done to ensure that requests for extra disk space will be genuine.

• What’re ‘coursework extensive courses’? Do you mean coursework intensive, as in there’s a lot of coursework? Or is it just something I haven’t heard of?

• I cleaned up that sentence about higher quotas as best I could, but it’s still not great.
You shouldn't post your c/w on the internet as other may copy it.
Last bit. You seem to have an issue with semi-colons.

ECDL:
Thanks to your support last year, we have been able to successfully enter and examine candidates on the ECDL Level 2 Qualification. The results of the practical units have been pleasing so far.
However, after candidates had been examined on the compulsory units Mr. Murden, and other ICT teachers have run into an unexpected dilemma which requires the financial aid of Beardwood associates.
Unfortunately, in order for candidates to complete the full ECDL Qualification, it is compulsory to take the ‘extra’ ECDL unit (formally known as ‘Unit E&#8217:wink:. However, candidates cannot be examined on this unit yet because, according to ECDL, Beardwood is not ‘certified’ to do so. After corresponding with ECDL and discussing this issue, we were finally informed about the entry cost. The cost for each candidate for this unit (hence, the complete qualification) is £3. There are at present 34 candidates which we hope to enter for this exam from the option ICT OCR National group, making the overall cost £102.

Exam Resources:
Exam resources are still causing difficulties this year, particularly in Mathematics. Although it is generally a candidate’s own fault if they forget their equipment for an examination, there are still unavoidable cases. Failing to provide the candidate with the equipment required would not only result in the failure of the pupil to achieve their optimum potential but will also mean that Beardwood, as a school, would have to take the burden of the pupil’s result, leading to third-party and parental complaints.
We are currently in need of protractors, compasses, tracing paper and scientific calculators. Our crucial aim, though, is to provide higher level candidates the access to a scientific calculator during their Section B calculator paper. We must, after all, be delighted with our pupils’ exceptional effort, and the minimum we can do is appreciate that forgetfulness is natural, especially during the stressful exam period.
Currently, 74 candidates will be entered for the higher modules and terminal paper, with their first exam(s) scheduled in January 2009. We clearly do not expect the majority of candidates to forget their scientific calculators and thus purchasing 20 is appropriate, as it will act as a safety net. These calculators will be kept and used for other examinations, including KS3 Maths and Science SATS.
A calculator which generally received a positive feedback from many scholars is the Casio fx-83-ES. The most distinctive feature that was commented on was how ‘user-friendly’ it is. This was clearly the case when Mathematics teachers observed students who have borrowed this calculator from them during lesson. The results obviously met the initial claims, as teachers commented that pupils used it ‘confidently’. This is a trait that will prove useful, especially under the intense exam heat.
Each calculator will cost £4.99 as a promotion for ‘bulk buy’, which will overall equate to approximately £100. The other equipment, listed above, can easily be obtained by an extra £20.

Hosted curricular activities:
This year, ‘Humanities Day’, one of last year’s accepted propositions which you gladly supported has been established as a successful way of raising our pupils’ awareness of everyday contemporary issues, such as drugs and safe sex.
However this year it has been decided that an English Language appreciation class should be introduced, seeing as English Language is the key area of under-achievement. These classes will mainly target D grade candidates who demonstrate C grade potential at times, but need that further ‘push’ to achieve a C in their final Foundation Tier English Language exam. Likely opening times will be during lunch and, mainly, after school. This is to ensure that students are given flexibility when creating a revision timetable. This makes this method not only a superior stress reliever, but also excellent for making students feel mature and independent in relation to their studies.
To make this curricular activity more interactive, and therefore fun, material produced throughout the extension sessions can be potentially used for Speaking and Listening assessment(s), giving pupils an opportunity to demonstrate their complete potential with competence as, unlike during normal lessons, performances are going to be in smaller groups to minimise pressure.
To fully accomplish this success, pupils will require the right equipment. Each pupil requires an English (Letts) revision guide. These guides will be used to tutor pupils during the lessons and are also expected to be used for post-classroom revision. Each guide will cost £5 and 25 pupils are predicted to join; thus the overall cost of the books is £125.
In order to ensure that books are returned in good condition, pupils are expected to pay a £5 deposit. If any of the following problems arise, deposits will not be returned:
• Pupil fails to return the book;
• Pupil wants to keep the book for any reason;
• Pupil fails to return the book in decent condition (i.e. notes are written on pages, or large extracts highlighted).

Reading club, the Library and the book-fair:
Pupils, as always, have not been intrigued by the supply of books the library has to offer. Asking a stratified sample by year group of pupils revealed why. Books were split into two distinctive categories: ‘too complex’ or ‘too easy’, with a few other participants evidently questioning the existence of this facility. A majority, though, have suggested that the library ought to improve its supply of ‘Sci-fi/thriller’ fiction narratives as opposed to the current History and Political books, if any improvements in terms of reading are to be witnessed at all.
In order to give pupils a chance to acquire a book which would interest them, Mrs Monaghan, The Head of Humanities, will hold a book-fair. It will open during lunch time and consoled by keen Year 10 pupils from Mrs Monaghan’s English class.
In order to enhance reading in Beardwood a sum of £400 is obligatory to cover the cost of book hire.
To support reading further, students, as they purchase items, will be referred to the ‘reading club’, which is held in Mrs Gaughan’s room. If successful, this link will not only improve the lingual skill of participating pupils but will also benefit all other areas of their curriculum.

• Honestly don’t know why you used ‘consoled’ in this context, or what it’s supposed to mean.
upturnedpalms
Last bit. You seem to have an issue with semi-colons.

Okay. Thank you. So overall is it, good, bad, fail?
Ramadulla
Okay. Thank you. So overall is it, good, bad, fail?

Okay. I just said "But GCSE tends to be more about ticking boxes than anything, so if you get it sorted out technically then I think you can manage an A. A* needs something a bit special, usually. But hey, I know nothing."

I don't know how to make it plainer.
upturnedpalms
Okay. I just said "But GCSE tends to be more about ticking boxes than anything, so if you get it sorted out technically then I think you can manage an A. A* needs something a bit special, usually. But hey, I know nothing."

I don't know how to make it plainer.

Thanks for your help! Rep's coming :smile:

Please remove the document as i'm done here...
Ramadulla
Thanks for your help! Rep's coming :smile:

Please remove the document as i'm done here...

Um... you posted your original work yourself, I posted all the corrections in separate posts and now you're worried about the word document attachment? Odd time to become logical! But as you wish.
upturnedpalms
Um... you posted your original work yourself, I posted all the corrections in separate posts and now you're worried about the word document attachment? Odd time to become logical! But as you wish.

I've removed it :smile: Thanks for your help again, it's really appreciated. If i get an A*; I'll give you a cookie! :dance:
Reply 51
Ramadulla
I've removed it :smile: Thanks for your help again, it's really appreciated. If i get an A*; I'll give you a cookie! :dance:

I already e-mailed a copy of this thread to your exam board, so it's a bit late to edit it. They've told me if they dont disqualify you, you'll at least have severe mark reductions. I'd be very cautious as to what I submit to them if I were you. I certainly wouldn't submit anything even closely relating to the piece that you were discussing in this thread (i.e. the piece your exam board now has a copy of).

Sleep tight :smile:.
Ghost
I already e-mailed a copy of this thread to your exam board, so it's a bit late to edit it. They've told me if they dont disqualify you, you'll at least have severe mark reductions. I'd be very cautious as to what I submit to them if I were you. I certainly wouldn't submit anything even closely relating to the piece that you were discussing in this thread (i.e. the piece your exam board now has a copy of).

Sleep tight :smile:.

Nice banter.
wow... erm... Ghost, that's a tad harsh isn't it? But you have a good point, posting coursework and asking for opinions ON AN OPEN THREAD TO THE WORLD WIDE WEB is indeed risky and kinda illegal to be honest. Illegal in a way that if someone is HELPING you then its secondary help, and when you have done your coursework you are always asked if you got any help from anywhere. Putting down "Helped by forum members from TheStudentRoom" isn't a good idea. Just warning you the next time you do it... atleast put a copyright on your work or something lol
Chicken777799
wow... erm... Ghost, that's a tad harsh isn't it? But you have a good point, posting coursework and asking for opinions ON AN OPEN THREAD TO THE WORLD WIDE WEB is indeed risky and kinda illegal to be honest. Illegal in a way that if someone is HELPING you then its secondary help, and when you have done your coursework you are always asked if you got any help from anywhere. Putting down "Helped by forum members from TheStudentRoom" isn't a good idea. Just warning you the next time you do it... atleast put a copyright on your work or something lol

It's on Coursework.info, thus it's safe.
ah ok good good, just be careful ok? just for your own sake. Erm and your coursework is pretty good, would say A/B, just remember not to repeat the comma and if necessary sometimes turn the comma into a semi colon if the sentence after the other is related in a sense that it is mentioned again. It sounds quite pleasant and visionary and i am moderately happy with that but remember to include hung-over pieces of information that have been left dragging and haven't been evaluated in elaborated detail :smile:
Reply 56
Ramadulla
It's on Coursework.info, thus it's safe.

Explain that to Mrs. Hussain :biggrin:.
lol wow.... Ghost you are cruel lol
Reply 58
Well i don't need to do my coursework now, thank you.
.... ouch?!?!?! omg people let him off man! :eek:!

Latest