The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
jismith1989
That's quite some certainty; especially considering that, as I'm sure you know, only around, on average, a quarter of applicants are accepted. And yes, that of course is where the potential problems lie: performing to one's optimum in the interview.

Though I just have a chip, fracture or break, on my shoulder as my grades weren't good enough for Oxbridge (AABa). I would like, if I do well enough in my initial degree, to do a Law degree there, however.

She means she thinks he'll get rejected, you know.
rkd
She means she thinks he'll get rejected, you know.

:p: Ah, me and my assumptions; her and her corrosive wit.
Reply 42
jismith1989
:p: Ah, me and my assumptions; her and her corrosive wit.

A Classicist not recognising irony; now that's ironic.
Reply 43
Aconite
He's so academic, he'll be fine.

Absolutely; you just can't argue with a username like that.

Sorry, I'm done being a beast now. It's because I'm secretly in love with him, and very, very bored. Although, I don't think there was any irony - I said everything exactly as I meant it. :wink:.
Reply 44
Rubberband
Sorry, I'm done being a beast now. It's because I'm secretly in love with him, and very, very bored. Although, I don't think there was any irony - I said everything exactly as I meant it. :wink:.

Ah, but you said it with language which suggested you thought he'd get in; and that apparently counts. I did check on Wikipedia (as I always do before I say 'ironic') :p:
Reply 45
What makes them so special?

Massive Organs

Reply 46
rkd
Ah, but you said it with language which suggested you thought he'd get in; and that apparently counts. I did check on Wikipedia (as I always do before I say 'ironic') :p:

Bah, you're right :p: - although I suppose either inference would serve my original purpose of getting the OP to STFU about every little (greatly premature) detail of their application to complete four masters degrees at Oxbridge. Maybe that's the irony...
Rubberband
Bah, you're right :p: - although I suppose either inference would serve my original purpose of getting the OP to STFU about every little (greatly premature) detail of their application to complete four masters degrees at Oxbridge. Maybe that's the irony...

Or maybe the irony is on us -- and he will get in. :eek:
Boolean Julian
i hate organ scholars

:cry: you hate meeeeee :eek:
Reply 49
jismith1989

In which case, I tip my hat.
Reply 50
jismith1989

At least then, half of Oxford will envy your Manchester place :p:
rkd
At least then, half of Oxford will envy your Manchester place :p:

:biggrin:
jismith1989

Are you addressing it to me! Oh yeah! :party:
im so academic
Are you addressing it to me! Oh yeah! :party:

Well no, it was about you though. Why, however, the Oxbridge obsession, mon ami?
jismith1989
Well no, it was about you though. Why, however, the Oxbridge obsession, mon ami?

Mon ami? My _______? What does that mean?

And I'm not Oxbridge obsessed, but I have this weird feeling that if you won't got to Oxbridge, you won't get employed by employers in the City, or even worse, you are at a disadvantage when getting a job. I've heard that employers prefer graduates from Oxbridge that did a pure science 2:1 degree (e.g., chemistry, natural science) compared to someone who got a 1st in imperial college london in a pure science degree.
Reply 55
im so academic
And I'm not Oxbridge obsessed

I feel compelled to break it to you that you most certainly are Oxbridge obsessed. :p:

Also "mon ami" = "my friend"
Reply 56
im so academic
They can apply for both cambridge and oxford for an undergraduate degree, while the rest of us has to suffer! Yes, even if we were allowed to apply for both we would have to make a descision in which uni we want to go, but I'm saying organ scholars have double the chances of going to the most elite unis in britain, whislt we have less of a chance than they do. It's so unfair! sorr, for going on a bit, but I don't know why people that can play an oversized instrument have the privledge in applying for oxbridge.

Very simple. There aren't nearly enough organists of a good enough standard to go around. They're already taking people who have barely done their grade 8 at some of the less prestigious colleges, and nobody wants to risk losing one of the few sufficiently good organists by fluke. Very few people apply for the organ scholarships, so it's barely any extra paperwork or time spent - it's just not feasible to have an additional 10 000 applicants to each university.
Reply 57
im so academic

And I'm not Oxbridge obsessed, but I have this weird feeling that if you won't got to Oxbridge, you won't get employed by employers in the City, or even worse, you are at a disadvantage when getting a job. I've heard that employers prefer graduates from Oxbridge that did a pure science 2:1 degree (e.g., chemistry, natural science) compared to someone who got a 1st in imperial college london in a pure science degree.

My friend. I thought you spoke French, cherie?

In all seriousness, you need to decide what degree you actually want to do, first. There are many alternatives to Oxbridge, but this is going to vary, depending on what you do. Also, from your posts on "How many masters degrees shall I do?", etc, I think you're looking at degrees from a very skewed and uninformed perspective right now. It's not like A-levels, totting up as many as you can to flash on your UCAS form/very impressive TSR signature.
BJack
I feel compelled to break it to you that you most certainly are Oxbridge obsessed. :p:

Also "mon ami" = "my friend"

No wonder I didn't recognise it as "my friend" in french is spelt "mon amis". (The "S" is silent"
im so academic

Well, it does help, but it's by no means a rule: I was talking yesterday to a City lawyer who studied at Essex. A first from any university is highly regarded. Don't you think it's best to have a contingency plan? As if you invest so much in this and you aren't accepted, surely it will hit you very hard?

And yes, as has been said, mon ami is French for my friend!

EDIT: it's only spelt amis when it's a plural (and then it's mes amis) -- there's nothing wrong with not knowing French, so don't ********!

Latest

Trending

Trending