The Student Room Group

Starting my GCSE's next month :)

For my options, I chose Drama, History, Geography & French. Does this sound good? I was originally going to do IT instead of Drama, but changed it at the last minute. I adore drama & realised I could do much better in it and enjoy it more, rather than doing okay in IT. My grades are quite important to me and my favourite subjects are English & Drama. I've always loved writing so yeah, I know it sounds odd - but I love more essay based/coursework subjects! Haha. I asked some of my teachers and they predicted my grades:
Science: B's, probably. But I'll have to work at that, because Science was basically my talking lesson all through Year 9 :s-smilie: but my teacher said it was definitley acheivable.
English: A*
French: A/A*
Geography: A*
However, my Maths isn't great. I'm much better at essay based subjects, like I said before..

Basically - what I'm asking is;
Anybody who did these subjects.. what are they like? :smile: x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's nothing wrong with those subjects. I'd say Drama is superior to IT if anything.
Reply 2
i wish i was doing gcse's
Reply 3
french was great, i got an A easily.
Also if you do want to do It you can take it up at A level. I hadn't done IT since yr 9 until this year, (12), and i'm predicted at least a C at AS.
You'll do fine =]
Reply 4
Those are good subjects. For GCSEs, it doesn't really matter which subjects you take as long as you have the core ones and you don't close your options for A-levels. :smile:
Reply 5
Drama was amazing, it's so different, and I managed to already have a Grade B, without even sitting the exam! Just when you do group work, get into a group who love Drama, not one who took Drama because they think it's a soft option.

French just requires hard work, but I'm sure you'll manage. And you're lucky to have escaped IT, I took it, and loathed it with a passion.
history is.. fun :ninja:
Reply 7
I did all of those subjects apart from Drama.IT is sooooooooooo boring.We had to do short course ICT and we spent most lessons playing games lol.History is really interesting.My teacher did talk a lot though.We got to go to the Somme battlefields in France.Geography again is interesting ,even though the coursework was pretty boring.I prefered the human geography to the physical.French was my favourite subject.Hence,why I am taking it for A Levels.It wasnt too much hard work at all.It was sort of a laid back lesson.We'd play lots of games and basically,there was less pressure.We did do work,but not much.We'd do exercises from the textbook from time to time.
Reply 8
Thankyou for all your quick responses! Really wasn't expecting that many so soon! :smile: Haha, I'm glad I've escaped IT too! I don't know what I was thinking anyway, Drama is my passion?!

I'm taking:
AS Theology (Early) :biggrin:
Drama and Theatre Arts (AQA 3241)
English & English Literature (AQA 3702 / 3712)
French (Edexcel 1226, with AQA Modular 3652)
Geography (OCR: Syllabus B. Avery Hill 1987)
History (OCR 1937)
Mathematics (OCR 1966)
Science Double Award (AQA 4461)
If that makes sense to anybody? Lol,
Reply 9
^We did the same board for English lol....A bit of advice,get your English coursework done early lol...
Sine
^We did the same board for English lol....A bit of advice,get your English coursework done early lol...

Oh gosh. What did you have to do for yours? Obvs gonna be different but just to give me an idea of difficulty?? :smile: Thanks!
Reply 11
If grades are important to you, perhaps check the drama exam board?

I think all of them except AQA have RIDICULOUSLY high grade boundaries. I'm not sure though.

EDIT: See you're doing drama with AQA. Didn't know it had theatre arts in the name. My one certainly doesn't. Maybe it's a new spec.
Reply 12
xoJessicaAnn
Oh gosh. What did you have to do for yours? Obvs gonna be different but just to give me an idea of difficulty?? :smile: Thanks!

We did one original writing piece...basically,we had to write a descriptive piece.

Another on 'Jekyll&Hyde' >> novella.

Another on 'Cream cracker under the settee' or something lol...>>dramatic monologue

Another on 'Let him have it'>>film :smile:

Thats all I can remember lol....
Reply 13
I did History and really enjoyed it, as much as you can enjoy a lesson :ninja: but it was hugely essay based and i excelled in that style of exam.

Just practise the exam techniques to do with analysing sources and you'll be fine.
DaveJ
If grades are important to you, perhaps check the drama exam board?

I think all of them except AQA have RIDICULOUSLY high grade boundaries. I'm not sure though.

EDIT: See you're doing drama with AQA. Didn't know it had theatre arts in the name. My one certainly doesn't. Maybe it's a new spec.

So, would you need to show an AWFUL lot of creativity and 'thinking out of the box' to get your A/A*? Cos that's definitley what I'm aiming for there. Anybody done Drama GCSE?
Sine
We did one original writing piece...basically,we had to write a descriptive piece.

Another on 'Jekyll&Hyde' >> novella.

Another on 'Cream cracker under the settee' or something lol...>>dramatic monologue

Another on 'Let him have it'>>film :smile:

Thats all I can remember lol....

Thanks! In year nine, I had a Media & English teacher, but she was more focused on Media than actual English, lol. It was a bit annoying, especially when English is your favourite subject and she's constantly making you watch movies & etc!
k823127
I did History and really enjoyed it, as much as you can enjoy a lesson :ninja: but it was hugely essay based and i excelled in that style of exam.

Just practise the exam techniques to do with analysing sources and you'll be fine.

Yeah, I've always been so much better with essays. I mean, I don't get all pressured or too nervous in exams, but I just prefer essays and coursework! You get more time to perfect it and I'm the kind of person who also likes to take care of presentation, lol :smile:
Reply 17
xoJessicaAnn
So, would you need to show an AWFUL lot of creativity and 'thinking out of the box' to get your A/A*? Cos that's definitley what I'm aiming for there. Anybody done Drama GCSE?

Nah lol I'm sure you'll be fine.

Basically like I've heard Edexcel is 97% for an A*, so nomatter how good you are, that's nigh on impossible.

AQA seems to have around 80% for an A* though.
Reply 18
My mates did Drama, they seemed to have loved it although they said it's realy realy realy hard to get an A* in GCSE Drama as your need to get 99% or something in CW.
Reply 19
History = The most rewarding subject you will take, just for the pure knowledge you learn from it. I did 15,000 word coursework on nazi germany :s-smilie: even the the maximum was 3000.

Geography = Equally good; the most boring coursework I have ever done in my life. But the stuff you learn is good, and generally good for buliding your general knowledge base.

Drama = So good, it is the lesson where you will think oh a break. It is so good/ funny / challenging, The coursework is brilliant and so is the exam. A* isn't too hard if you put your mind to it and just stay confident.

Considering you are taking my 3 favourite subjects all I can say is enjoy :smile:

Latest