The Student Room Group

How long would you expect a winter coat to last?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Every winter I buy a new coat, normally around the 80-100 mark

but i may get a better designer this time.
Reply 21
i know it's not a wintercoat, but this thread made me look around websites for a new coat and came across this:

drool!
http://www.principles.co.uk/fcp/product/-/JACKETS/Oyster-Black-Trim-Mac/9130
Reply 22
Adarah
i know it's not a wintercoat, but this thread made me look around websites for a new coat and came across this:

drool!
http://www.principles.co.uk/fcp/product/-/JACKETS/Oyster-Black-Trim-Mac/9130

I love Principles in general...awesome store :smile:

It's not so much that I couldn't afford a new coat but more to do with the fact I'll get shouted at for wasting my money. In any case I'm yet to see a proper coat I want. However, I do anyway want a short black coat like the one I have my eye on at DP. So s'all good :teeth:
Reply 23
minimo
I love Principles in general...awesome store :smile:

It's not so much that I couldn't afford a new coat but more to do with the fact I'll get shouted at for wasting my money. In any case I'm yet to see a proper coat I want. However, I do anyway want a short black coat like the one I have my eye on at DP. So s'all good :teeth:

yeah, i southwest england you don't always need a proper coat anyway in winter. it's normally wet weather that gets to me in England, never really the cold (apart from silly friends trying to get into exclusive clubs and dragging me along to wait outside a club for hours without a scarf and still not get in... grrr...)
I bought a Berghaus Goretex one for £250.

I expect it to last a very long time.
i wait for the sales and then i buy a really good quality one that lasts for years and years. i have some coats that i literally bought 8 years ago and they still look like new because they're great quality and a classic style.
tip: buy real wool only.
Reply 26
I got a really nice pure wool coat from Zara for £110 a few years ago, this'll be my 3rd winter and it's still in great condition.
The thing I really like about is that the texture is really smooth, rather than some wool type coats which don't feel as nice to touch.
Reply 27
Black New Look coat- lasted 6 years.

The coat I have now came from H&M which I bought last year, and hope to have it for many years to come!
Reply 28
i was in love with this coat from portobello market last year... i think I'll go back their this year and hope the same designer has a stall again with even better coats! :smile:
Reply 29
Salain
I got a really nice pure wool coat from Zara for £110 a few years ago, this'll be my 3rd winter and it's still in great condition.
The thing I really like about is that the texture is really smooth, rather than some wool type coats which don't feel as nice to touch.

I tried on a lovely, classic black coat in Zara today, which was £119, but I couldn't decide whether it was worth the money. I didn't think to check, but I suppose it must have been pure wool at that price. Do pure wool coats tend to last longer?

Thanks for the helpful replies. Unfortunately, I am still stuck in a state of indecision! I guess I'll just keep browsing.

Can anyone tell me what brands like Karen Millen, Miss Sixty, Diesel etc, are like in terms of quality? I've never shopped there, but I know French Connection's prices don't really reflect their quality, which is fairly average. Any suggestions of good quality brands would be appreciated!
Reply 30
looosey
I tried on a lovely, classic black coat in Zara today, which was £119, but I couldn't decide whether it was worth the money. I didn't think to check, but I suppose it must have been pure wool at that price. Do pure wool coats tend to last longer?

Thanks for the helpful replies. Unfortunately, I am still stuck in a state of indecision! I guess I'll just keep browsing.

Can anyone tell me what brands like Karen Millen, Miss Sixty, Diesel etc, are like in terms of quality? I've never shopped there, but I know French Connection's prices don't really reflect their quality, which is fairly average. Any suggestions of good quality brands would be appreciated!

my zara coat was cheaper, but as i said, the lining ripped and it's gone a bit bobbly and threadbare in places. not noticable since it's black, but still... grrr...

Miss Sixty tends to be good quality on jeans and clothes, I don't know about coats though. I think you'll find they'll be massively over priced though. everything from miss sixty seems to be 3 times the normal price in the UK compared to the rest of Europe.
Reply 31
I have gorgeous ones from Primark which have lasted me....three years this season. And I know that I will be definately be wearing 2 of them this autumn/winter.
i just acquire winter coats, i have a lot.
i have a fantastic quality one from stella mcartney for h&m that's two years old? that's still great. another wool one from h&m which is three years old.
err, i have another which is a year old and i bought a few a couple of months ago.
errrrrrrrrrrrrrr, and then copiouss amounts of blazers and macs. i wish blazers lasted better- i have one from topshop boutique which i love but i only got it at christmas and the lining is already trashed :/
Gosh, so many of you spend like a good amount of £££ on coats! I think I might save up and get a good coat, seeing as the one's I buy each year, I get bored with and they all look too chavvy. My mum makes me buy 2 sizes bigger to get the arm length I need (I have long arms) so all my coats look like the house of joy. . . . but then again when I layer in the winter - prob is better to be slightly bigger in the coat. . . hmmmm :?:
I've had mine for about 4 years now. Cost about £30. It's not even that nice, but it does the job.

Meh.
Reply 35
year
I only buy cheap, because I can never be bothered with Karen millerand whatnot.
Reply 36
i expect my coats to last around 2-3 years

and it isnt as hard as it seems to get one that will last a long time for a cheap price, i have a coat from h&m (£35) that has lasted me 3 years now.
I have two coats a smarter one and a casual one which i think is good as i dont feel like im wearing the same thing everyday throughout the winter.
Reply 37
Ilora-Danon
I can never find one I like. :frown:

Same, so I end up settling for one which I least dislike.

Usually just a warm, simple mac...
I like to buy a new winter coat each year if I can, and then stop wearing an older one that has got a bit shabby. It means that I usually have 3 coats that are still in good shape to wear. I buy from Dorothy Perkins, Next and Zara and usually spend between £50-£90. I don't think I need one this year though, depends if I see one I really love or not.
Reply 39
Coats don't suit me, I hate wearing coats :p:

I'm going to be buying a new coat this year though, mine have lasted for quite a while (although they are horrifyingly ugly). The one that's lasted longest was from USC (or whatever the shop is called) and was on sale for about 30 pounds. It's a chavvy bomber long coat type thing filled with feathers. It's like wearing a duvet!

I'd like a similar but less puffy coat. Some sort of black, tailored, very thin bomber coat in the shape of a trench coat type thing but I'm not sure where to look for one. Maybe one that closes high up on the waist with just one or two buttons :p: That's my dream coat anyway, it probably doesn't exist.

Quick Reply

Latest