The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Do any of you actually find text books helpful in the slightest, i never once looked at a textbook other than for practice questions, and my scholar books spent the whole of 6th year in my locker - i really despise them.
How did you learn stuff?
Reply 22
teachers taught you in class, then you copied down the examples that they did on the board.
Meteorshower
Nah i'd rather do something a little more sciency, hopefully involving some maths though! You?

Ooh sciency. At somewhere crazily amazing like cambridge? Mmmm I'm not really sure yet. Thinking about actuary, but I'm a bit weird. I'm taking AH english this year too so I may still go down that route :rolleyes:

Kayjay, I cant stand reading the notes and examples in textbooks. I don't learn the methods that way, but I do use them for practice questions once I've been shown how to do something. Consolidation and all that :smile:
indigoviolet
Ooh sciency. At somewhere crazily amazing like cambridge? Mmmm I'm not really sure yet. Thinking about actuary, but I'm a bit weird. I'm taking AH english this year too so I may still go down that route :rolleyes:

I would have liked to take Ah English, i didn't like the higher course but the AH one seems a lot better. Only so many hours in the day though XD

Yeah i'm going for crazily amazing, can't help get the feeling i'm setting myself up for a fall but oh well!
I think if you have a passion for something and you've got the right grades you may as well try. Somewhere like cambridge would be amazing to do all that mathsy, sciency stuff. I couldnt face leaving scotland though :smile:

Yea I wasnt too keen on higher english either, but AH has creative writing and a dissertation and none of that darn close reading (which probably helped me big-time in the exam this year, but I just cannot stand it). So i'm really looking forward to it. Bit worried about having to switch my brain from equations to essays in the space of one corridor but hey, it'll be interesting at least....:smile:
Yeah, creative writing is pretty much the main reason i wish i could do English this year! I love making stuff up :biggrin: Standard grade was great, the idea of just making something up in 75 minuts and being marked on it appealed to me :smile:
Reply 27
I'm doing Ah maths too. I was quite comfortable with the higher course and I quite like the Ah course - so far. We've only did Binomial Theorm and Partial fractions so far. Hoping to go in 2009 to do maths and statistics at Strathclye Uni :biggrin:
Reply 28
I'm doing AH maths this year. It's a terrific-looking course. With my only grade B in Higher being for maths (bloody 77% boundary), it's the only way to redeem myself. :p:
Cw.x
I'm doing Ah maths too. I was quite comfortable with the higher course and I quite like the Ah course - so far. We've only did Binomial Theorm and Partial fractions so far. Hoping to go in 2009 to do maths and statistics at Strathclye Uni :biggrin:

Although not to specifically rain on your parade, about one and half units in some people start to wonder why they chose the subject in the first place, especially with related rates, vectors and differential equations doing your head in. :mad:

But if you stick to it it's a very rewarding course. :biggrin:
Reply 30
If I'm being honest I actually quite enjoy maths 8-) Haha lol. Hoping for a maths based career :smile:. Hopefully AH doesn't put me off it though :P
Reply 31
Cw.x
Hopefully AH doesn't put me off it though :P

It's better to make that mistake in school than later in your career, which is exactly the reason I'm doing AH. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending