The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
bar and hospitality work is very very easy to find in London as long as you have experience, have a look on Gumtree to get an idea of what's available and hourly pay.
Reply 21
So a very consistent theme here is the need for experience. This doesn't bode well for me (no experience).

Bearing this in mind, what else is available?
yeah i only have experience in retail (and cleaning and working with children/ the elderly). But i'd like a job in a bar or waitressing i think
Whilst this is true, it is still possible to 'get in' many have proved it, no-one is born with 'retail experience' which is a load of BS in my view.
Reply 24
Sweep
So a very consistent theme here is the need for experience. This doesn't bode well for me (no experience).

Bearing this in mind, what else is available?

without any work experience you can normally:

- work in a supermarket
- work within your student union
- sign up to temp with a hospitality/catering events agency, this will get you bar/waiting experience so you can apply for jobs in good bars, clubs, restaurants...
- volunteer in a charity shop on the weekend for a few months, to get the 'retail experience' normally required by flagship stores
- work in a call centre (sounds crap but flexible hours and normally good pay!)
- sell tickets in your halls or hand out flyers promoting club nights
Personally, I've got a year's experience as a silver service waiter and seven months as a bar tender at a bustling hotel. I still fear this isn't enough experience or enough to convince bars/pubs to take me on at just 18, but I suppose it's better than having nothing to go by at all? Also, quite a lot of bar jobs actually say no experience necessary as training is provided etc. Tbh there's not that much to learn for bar work, unless you work in a vodka bar or are a professional bar tender and need to know thousands of c ocktails (why is tsr trying to block this word?) I'm just going to advertise the fact I can pull pints/use tills/handle money/change beer barrells/have a laugh with customers.

Where do we go from there though? Just walk into bars/pubs and hand out CVs or phone places up first?

Latest

Trending

Trending