The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
There is an ASDA in Morecambe, but it is awkward to get to. You have to get a bus from campus to the bus station, and another from the bus station (although, I can just walk to the bus station as I live in town). The bus does take a while though, and you have to wait around a while for the one coming back from ASDA. I have been once with a friend, and it was basically a mission.

They where also building a Lidl in Morecambe as well I believe! I love Lidl :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Lancaster City Centre - Somerfield (next to the bus station), Sainsburys (opposite the bus station).

Outskirts of Lancaster - Booths (Scotforth), Asda (Other side of the Lune), Aldi (Near Asda).

Morecambe - Lidl (Westgate - now open), Aldi (Morecambe Prom), Morrisons (Morecambe Prom), Tesco Metro (Morecambe Arndale), Netto (Lancaster Road).

There is also a Tesco in Carnforth.

My opinion as a local, not a student is to avoid Morecambe supermarkets, unless a one off. You would have to buy a day rider to get the bus from Lancaster to Morecambe (cheapest option, Stagecoach are a rip off) and this is currently at £4. Therefore, it is probably cheaper just to order your food online and pay for the delivery if necessary. Plus i would say its an hour on the bus from Lancaster Uni to Morecambe theyre so slow. If your going by car then its fine - free parking at all of the supermarkets but at morrisons you have to display a ticket now but get 2hrs free.

Asda deliver but if you wanted to go there by bus, to avoid getting two seperate buses get the 2/2A/4 and get off the bus at Morecambe Road (just before it turns to Scale Hall Lane). Then get onto the cycle track (i think its signposted) and it is a 2 min walk if that. Aldi is on Morecambe Road as well if you want to go there.

I think Tesco were wanting to open a supermarket near the university but i think that was kicked into touch by the Greens...

Jeez i really should write a book.
Reply 22
Farmfoods! Home of all cheap frozen stuff and an industrial size bottle of brown sauce for only 75p :biggrin:
Reply 23
Oh, and I found a Cool Trader hidden in Lancaster town centre in my last week!

It is hidden inside the indoor market!
You can get the 6A bus from town directly to ASDA.
Reply 25
Morecambe Jack

My opinion as a local, not a student is to avoid Morecambe supermarkets, unless a one off. You would have to buy a day rider to get the bus from Lancaster to Morecambe (cheapest option, Stagecoach are a rip off) and this is currently at £4. Therefore, it is probably cheaper just to order your food online and pay for the delivery if necessary. Plus i would say its an hour on the bus from Lancaster Uni to Morecambe theyre so slow. If your going by car then its fine - free parking at all of the supermarkets but at morrisons you have to display a ticket now but get 2hrs free.

Ouch and thanks for that. I did try walking to Aldi from the shopping centre but gave up out of exhaustion. xD

Does anyone know how cheap the asian supermarket is in town near the bus station, sort of behind somefield?
Reply 26
the chinese supermarket? relatively for what they sell. my ex-boyfriend bought a bag of spring rolls for two pounds and he said they were amazing.
I just checked the Asda website and it says it costs £4.50+ for delivery and the minimum order is £25. I guess that is okay if everyone in the flat orders stuff together (or just two+ of you) but I don't think it is worth it if you are going it alone. Unless you just order things that will keep every 3/4 weeks or something.

I was really happy to be self catered but it all seems so involved now lol.

:smile:
Reply 28
affinity89
I just checked the Asda website and it says it costs £4.50+ for delivery and the minimum order is £25. I guess that is okay if everyone in the flat orders stuff together (or just two+ of you) but I don't think it is worth it if you are going it alone. Unless you just order things that will keep every 3/4 weeks or something.

I was really happy to be self catered but it all seems so involved now lol.

:smile:

Nah, it's not involved, it just means standing on your own feet for the first time and getting yourself a bit organised. After a few meals of the scrapings from the bottom of the fridge, a couple of emergency pizza deliveries and a few late night dashes to Spar you learn to get your act together!

Latest

Trending

Trending