The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi, I received my A-level results yesterday, and was fairly disappointed. I ended up with CCD, and the D came with chemistry. I was expecting a B, so i was shocked that i came out with a D. Anyway, every Uni that i rang, said that i could transfer from pharmacology (or something like that) to Pharmacy, if i achieve more 60% in the first year. However, i asked the Uni's such as Demontford, LJMU, and Bradford, what were the chances of me transferring. They said its all up to the student and how hard he works. I asked on average how many people transfer a year, they answered that only on average a quarter of people transfer (i.e. 20 out of 80 people),

Anyway, i was just wondering is it worth repeating the year and improving my chemistry grade or doing the transfer? To be honest, i dont really want to repeat my a-levels but my parents are against the transfer as they say it's too risky.
I would say repeat your a levels. If it is a quarter, that's a small number.
Reply 62
zaza107
Hi, I received my A-level results yesterday, and was fairly disappointed. I ended up with CCD, and the D came with chemistry. I was expecting a B, so i was shocked that i came out with a D. Anyway, every Uni that i rang, said that i could transfer from pharmacology (or something like that) to Pharmacy, if i achieve more 60% in the first year. However, i asked the Uni's such as Demontford, LJMU, and Bradford, what were the chances of me transferring. They said its all up to the student and how hard he works. I asked on average how many people transfer a year, they answered that only on average a quarter of people transfer (i.e. 20 out of 80 people),

Anyway, i was just wondering is it worth repeating the year and improving my chemistry grade or doing the transfer? To be honest, i dont really want to repeat my a-levels but my parents are against the transfer as they say it's too risky.

I would personally chose to resit the A-levels. You have already done the material so the course will be exactly the same as what you did this year. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to revise, and make sure you resit a load of AS modules as well to pull your grades up even more.

If you really really don't want to resit your A-levels then doing the Pharm sciences route is another option. Yes, you have to get 60% but if you put in the effort you should be fine. Again, make sure you give yourself plenty of revision time and put a lot of work into your coursework.

Regards
Reply 63
since i was only 10 ums off getting a C in Chemistry, if i repeat a few modules and get that 10 ums, will any uni accpet me with 3 C's? For me to get a B, i would need 80 ums to be sure. To find 80 ums, i personally think its hard.
it will be easy if you resit most modules. 3c's is a big gamble and I would say would maybe get you somewhere in clearing next year. 80UMS over 2/3 papers isn't much.
Reply 65
zaza107
since i was only 10 ums off getting a C in Chemistry, if i repeat a few modules and get that 10 ums, will any uni accpet me with 3 C's? For me to get a B, i would need 80 ums to be sure. To find 80 ums, i personally think its hard.

I doubt any uni will accept you with CCC to do pharmacy, sorry.

Most Schools of Pharmacy now ask for BBB minimum (some ask for ABB and higher). This is when they make the offer by the way - most unis will accept you with slightly lower grades when you get your results. I know LJMU wavers the grades to BBC but you usually have to get the B in chemistry.

I think if you resit every first year module you can get the extra points you need.