The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Blackfriars Street?

So I finally found out my accomodation, but I'm completely lost - I got Blackfriars Street which the site says is for postgrads mostly. I applied back in May, with Edinburgh as my unconditional firm, and I requested places like Darroch and Warrenders... Does anyone know anything about Blackfriars? Like is it halls with one big kitchen or is it flats? ...I'm hoping they just ran out of space for freshers and needed to expand into other places.
http://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/accom_info/offers/0607_weboffer_Blackfriars.htm

I think it's one of the more modern self-catered ones (it's en-suite apparently!), and it's in a pretty sweet location, between the Royal Mile and the Cowgate (where all the clubs are) and only about 10 minutes from either George Square or Princes Street.

It's not uncommon for postgrad accommodation to be opened up to Freshers. This is exactly what happened last year with Nicolson street and, with the number of students applying for accommodation rising again this year, is likely to be the case here.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
It's my first choice, still waiting to hear after my results on Thursday :|
My boyfriend got it, it was his first choice, but he had a great chance of getting it as he has a diablility. I'm from Wales and was wondering what my chances are of getting it living so far away? Anyone know?
Reply 3
Menelwen
It's my first choice, still waiting to hear after my results on Thursday :|
My boyfriend got it, it was his first choice, but he had a great chance of getting it as he has a diablility. I'm from Wales and was wondering what my chances are of getting it living so far away? Anyone know?

Please look at my thread
Reply 4
PawPrints91
Please look at my thread

What thread?
I really wanted it but it wasn't even on the list of options when I applied for accommodation.
Reply 7
Blackfriars is a Hostel in the Summer- The Uni take over a wing from Sept to May and use it for students. Freshers are together, not mixed with Post Grads. The rooms are bigger than other Uni self catering- They are 4 bed rooms when it is a hostel ( 2 bunks). Each room has a raised bedwith 3 matresses under it which is good if you have visitors, a shelf unit beside the bed, a desk and 4 lockers which make a wardrobe where you can hang stuff. I had to buy some drawers( Ikea) as there was only a small one with the desk. The sink is in the room and the en-suite is a wet room with a toilet. There are two massive pinboards- cover them with a paper tablecloth to make them colourful!
Bedding is provided though I took my own duvet and pillow. The roomas are off a corridor, not like a flat. Each group of rooms has access to a locked kitchen, which has lockable cupboards in it. Our kitchen was small but some are bigger. Our seating area was not locked so we couldn't keep anything in it. Internet was good. TV reception did not exist.
They do food and drink in the bar down stairs and if you stay there you get a 10% discount. Handy for lunch/ tea.:smile:
Great position in Edinburgh but noisy until you get used to it. I had to buy ear plugs as there are sirens all the time. Really convenient for pubs and clus. Close to Robertsons close, Darroch and New Arthur Place.

Any questions just ask- I loved it!!!
Reply 8
Yay, I got my first choice in Blackfriars! If there are any flatmates out there, please drop me a message!
Reply 9
Hello everyone! I also got it as my first choice and I'm very happy about it. Didn't know it was noisy though :eek:

By the way, my room is 314. I'll be away for a week, so sorry if I won't be replying to any messages. See you in Blackfriars :smile:
Reply 10
I'm trying to figure out where to apply at the moment and I'm toying with either Balckfriar's or Kincaid's Court as my first choice - do you have anything that might help me figure this out?!
One question - so when there are students there during the year is it still also used as a hostel? And does it have more of a hostel feel than student accommodation??
Original post by C_Sty
I'm trying to figure out where to apply at the moment and I'm toying with either Balckfriar's or Kincaid's Court as my first choice - do you have anything that might help me figure this out?!
One question - so when there are students there during the year is it still also used as a hostel? And does it have more of a hostel feel than student accommodation??

This thread is five years old. They won't be there now. I suggest starting a new one.

Latest

Trending

Trending