The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
i didn´t get a lot of encouragement, only questions, questions, questions and a lot of help which gave me the feeling that i was carried towards the answer :| oh well, i was too nervous but after the interview has ended, professor gowers asked me where i had learnt my english :biggrin: that was something to lighten up but i was and i am still thinking about how unsatisfactory my way of solving the questions had been. ARGGH

oh well, i ended up learning more maths than in 3 weeks worth of school lessons :smile: :smile:
Reply 61
Adhsur
Hello!! I'm sure you're all eager to hear how I've done (!). Ok maybe not but here goes.

Well I was, I saw you were online so I waited to walk to lab so I could read this first (ok so I may be using this as an excuse to shirk work but it's a good excuse :wink:).

Sounds like your first one went fine, I don't know why you didn't have some kind of banter for the vain and pompous thing in the second though as it would seem like an obvious thought for them. As us old timers tell everyone, just because an interview seems to go badly doesn't mean that you won't get in. Maybe the other interviewer was doing that to everyone, who knows, maybe their spouse burnt their toast in the morning?
The point is you can't really know until you know!

I'm sure you all did fine! There's normally so little to differentiate candidates by anyway.

A.
Reply 62
My interview was not good. I am not even just saying that...
It was for NatSci at Trin. The test wasnt as hard as the pilot, so I could do 2 of the 10 questions and squiggle diagrams for the rest... Yes, I am obviously stupid I have now learned that! 2 of 10, on that basis alone they could reject me...

Then you have the discussion, with the chemistry woman (Khimyak) seeming particularly unimpressed and frustrated at my slowness. The physics woman was horrified when I multiplied something by 0 and didnt get 0.. I corrected it quickly, but that last error just summarised the entire day for me, a trainwreck in slowmotion...

Most im hoping for is to be pooled... fingers crossed though:s
Reply 63
Had my interviews on the 7th at Trinity, for Economics.

The first one, the general one, went incredibly well.. we talked about why I wanted to study in England, why at Cambridge, why economics, Then he went one with some questions about prices and the market. At the end of the interview, he told me something like "I can't tell you anything yet, because you must be in the top 15 to get a place here, and there are still lots of people to interview, but you did really well". So I was VERY VERY happy and confident at the end of my first interview.

The second one, was about an article. Well, it wasn't really an article, but there was a screenshot af a price listing website, with some questions related to price listing, and then a graph, with further questions related to price listing again (they were quite different, though). This interview went very very badly. I think I had a couple of questions wrong, but the thing that makes me sure I'm not going to get a place, is that he, instead of guiding me through the right answer, nodded at whatever things I was saying (things I realized afterwords were wrong) as if I was so stupid that he had already given up on me. Very depressing. I'm not going to get a place, I'm sure.
Reply 64
MadNatSci
Should I perhaps regret letting on to my embarrassing interview howler now?!

Aww no it gave me mucho confidence (and a good laugh :biggrin:). And the compsci applicants in the JCR a good laugh too :biggrin:
BTW I waved at Sidney when I was passing it in a "Hello Nicky" gesture.

Arcadia - What was your passage on? Mine was a John Stuart Mill thing (I just googled it).
I got asked why SPS? too. That was the first of many random stories I told her :biggrin:.

Update on my earlier post - I now know what suffrage is! My dad says not knowing that would be a handicap to understanding the passage. Oops! :biggrin: I don't think it was that bad, I got the gist of it I think. Parents thought the passage was really hard though.
Reply 65
*cough cough* I hope you waved at me, as promised :wink:
Reply 66
Had mine last week for Law at sidney, solid but was expecting that neway!
First interview was okay, answered all of the questions okay, but second should have come with a health warning- really difficult and twisting everything you sed! Some people thought they handled it well, some where in a bit of a state- me included!- cuz they play confidence games with you. seems the trick is to keep your cool, take your time, and answer with as much confidence as you can- but dnt be arrogant!
Good Luck!!!
Reply 67
Alaric
Well I was, I saw you were online so I waited to walk to lab so I could read this first (ok so I may be using this as an excuse to shirk work but it's a good excuse :wink:).

Sounds like your first one went fine, I don't know why you didn't have some kind of banter for the vain and pompous thing in the second though as it would seem like an obvious thought for them. As us old timers tell everyone, just because an interview seems to go badly doesn't mean that you won't get in. Maybe the other interviewer was doing that to everyone, who knows, maybe their spouse burnt their toast in the morning?
The point is you can't really know until you know!

I'm sure you all did fine! There's normally so little to differentiate candidates by anyway.

A.

Hehehe, thanks for taking an interest!

I just implied that what I was asked was a horrible question, not that I had a particularly bad answer :wink: But yeah, he said he was really tired at the start "This is the last of umpteen candidates!!" and it was evening time...can't blame him! I just hope he takes his questions into account when judging me.
Reply 68
RobbieC
The physics woman was horrified when I multiplied something by 0 and didnt get 0.. I corrected it quickly, but that last error just summarised the entire day for me, a trainwreck in slowmotion...

oh man, you are like me! i had troubles with 0 too.

i said: "...because 0 divided by 1 is infinity"

ah!!!! i wanted to bury myself afterwards, the biggest cock up of my interview, the interviewers looked at each other, i corrected myself of course realising it was the other way round (1 divded by 0 is inf.)

the rest of the itnerview was cool though, i totally didn't get a "grilling" as so many people put it.

still, i think it's all still so uncertain, i know how well i should have done, but i also kow that hoe you feel you've done is often totally different to how you have done.
Reply 69
OK here is my story. I applied for NatSci (phys), BTW.

I had the TSA in the morning. I thought the time limit on this one was much tighter than the practise one on the website. I answered all the questions but didn't have time to go back to the 'starred' ones that I wasn't sure about. And I am certain I got a particular question wrong. I know that probably isn't important but GODDAM its so annoying when you know you have made a mistake.

My first interview was with a chemist. This is my weaker subject, I was expecting a tough time. As it happened, I thought it went OK. I was asked to draw isotopes of C4H6, a few molar calculations, general discussion about bonds, proto-AS level questions. I thought this was a bit odd since I have finished A2 and was expecting some questions on more advanced material. But I am not complaining :smile: Came out feeling good, slowly thought worse of it when I realised I had done a calculation wrong, I was out by a factor of 10. The interviewer didn't seem to pick up on this, what does this mean :confused:

Next was physics interview with a little maths thrown in. The maths was v straightforward, partly because it is my best subject, partly because they asked the same question to me as I 'overheard' being asked to the guy before me, partly becuase I had been asked the same question in the interview from a year ago! Few general physics qs about forces, one really hard question about torque in a bicycle (can't believe many students could have solved this on their own?? I certainly didn't !) Random mumbling about 'me', biking in the alps, football. Boring crap.

Overall, I think I did as well as I could have hoped for, made a good fist of it etc. Now we wait.
Reply 70
Alewhey
The interviewer didn't seem to pick up on this, what does this mean :confused:

THey were paying attention to how you were thinking, not the innocuous little question they were asking you?
Maybe they're all lizards and the whole thing is a government cover-up.
Reply 72
blissy
*cough cough* I hope you waved at me, as promised :wink:

I kinda waved in a general direction because I couldn't remember which college you were at. I thought you were Newnham but Jacob said you were New Hall so I got all confused :frown:
But I was talking about you if it was any consolation :biggrin:
Had my interview for Geography at Downing on the 6th. They were both subject-based, no general interview at all. Not gonna go into huge detail or I'll start stressing again!

First one - based on my personal statement, with the Director of Studies. When I came out, I thought it had gone really well so I was quite pleased. On (excessive) reflection, however... 'I could have said this', 'I should have said that', 'Did I explain this well enough?' etc. :rolleyes:

Second one - with a 'historical geographer'. Bit of a nightmare really. He used really pretentious language, and most of the time he was just blabbing on and on - I couldn't get a word in edge-ways, and whenever I did get the chance to actually speak he'd interrupt me mid-flow and say 'Yes, [blah blah blah blah x 52]'. I feel I would have done much better if he had let me finish my answers! The last question I didn't understand at all - it was about 2392 words long and contained all this vocubulary that was completely beyond me. By the time he'd finished the question, I'd forgotten it! Didn't really enjoy that interview, especially when I couldn't open the door to leave the room afterwards! :redface:

Just gotta wait for that rejection letter, I guess. :frown:
Eternal Fantasy
On (excessive) reflection, however... 'I could have said this', 'I should have said that', 'Did I explain this well enough?' etc. :rolleyes:

I think we're all feeling like that; at least, I know I am!
Reply 75
Acaila
Arcadia - What was your passage on? Mine was a John Stuart Mill thing (I just googled it).
I got asked why SPS? too. That was the first of many random stories I told her :biggrin:.

I don't know who it was by, what it was from! :redface: Venus and Mercury were allies against another planet,but I can't remember which, when the Mercutians betrayed Venus. Cue long passage from a citizen at an assembly meeting- we had to say what they didn't like about democracy. Hope I got the right side of it and not totally misinterpreted it. Considering that my interview wasn't the best it could have been, I was hoping I would do well on the test. But I have never done anything like that before so I don't know how to judge my own performance. :rolleyes:
Reply 76
Argh my interview is tomorrow! - NatSci Biological at Emma! :eek: Have NOT done the reading I should've done! Have NOT looked at the maths I should've looked at. ARGH!

And I heard that the senior tutor, presumbly at Emma, said firstly they look at grades :frown: - I got a C in chem AS eek :frown: then secondly they look at submitted work - I'd submitted an absolutely RUBBISH essay on Intelligence. And finally they look at the interview.......... and no doubt I'll screw that as well :frown:

Ah well I'm gonna go in and try and enjoy myself - I might as well, and hopefully go in thinking I'd get in and basically let myself collapse and panic later.
Reply 77
Iris, calm down sweetie. Just enjoy it :smile:

Arcadia
I don't know who it was by, what it was from! :redface: Venus and Mercury were allies against another planet,but I can't remember which, when the Mercutians betrayed Venus. Cue long passage from a citizen at an assembly meeting- we had to say what they didn't like about democracy. Hope I got the right side of it and not totally misinterpreted it. Considering that my interview wasn't the best it could have been, I was hoping I would do well on the test. But I have never done anything like that before so I don't know how to judge my own performance. :rolleyes:

Wow that sounds like a cool passage :biggrin:
I know what you mean about not being able to judge performance, I feel just the same. Fingers crossed we'll be seeing each other in lectures come October :wink:
irisng

And I heard that the senior tutor, presumbly at Emma, said firstly they look at grades :frown: - I got a C in chem AS eek :frown: then secondly they look at submitted work - I'd submitted an absolutely RUBBISH essay on Intelligence. And finally they look at the interview.......... and no doubt I'll screw that as well :frown:

Hi, the senior tutor at Emma is Dr Barnes and he was one of my interviewers for medince last Thursday. He is one of the nicest people I have ever met. I really liked him. If he is one of your interviewers then don't worry!

As for grades, I have a feeling they are quite important. In Scotland Highers and Advnaced Highers (ant Int1/2 for that matter) are divided up into bands so while you see A/B/C/D on your certificate you actually get awarded a band which you aren't told unless you speak to your examinations officer. Dr Barnes was very interested in what bands I got, he wanted as many band one As as possible. I got 6 As at higher: 4 Band 1 As and 2 Band 2 As.

I was also told by another interviewer at Emma (Dr Henderson who is also very friendly) that they take everything into account when deciding on offers - apparently you can "screw up" on one thing, but you are "pushing your luck" if more than one aspect of your application is not perfect.
Reply 79
well being at emma and having sat opposite the senior tutor for xmas dinner, i know what order they take things into account when it comes to applications - i was disgraced to discover your personal statement is at the bottom of the pile...and i spent ages doing that!

Latest

Trending

Trending