The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

To clear things up:

1) When you apply to UCAS, you do not put your choices in order of preference.
2) Until you have accepted your offers, the universities will have no idea who else you applied for. I snuck a peek at an admissions tutor's form from UCAS in one of my interviews, and only their university was listed.
3) Once a university has given you an offer and you have accepted it as firm, accepted it as insurance or rejected it, it's too late for them to reject you because of what order you've put them in.

So basically, unless you tell them what else you've chosen yourself, it's impossible for any of your choices of universities to affect the decision of any other university.

Any questions?
Reply 21
Yes, thankyou I understand.
I realise that the order is not preferance, although I wasn't aware it was alphabetical, and thought it was common to assume that the university put 'first' would be your first preferance. I'm also aware that universities shouldn't know your other applications but had heard lots of stories seemingly contradicting that, from graduates who thought there may be discussions between universities.
:smile:
o00o
Yes, thankyou I understand.
I realise that the order is not preferance, although I wasn't aware it was alphabetical, and thought it was common to assume that the university put 'first' would be your first preferance. I'm also aware that universities shouldn't know your other applications but had heard lots of stories seemingly contradicting that, from graduates who thought there may be discussions between universities.
:smile:

A lot of these stories are scare stories, or they make assumptions. A friend's sister got turned down by Oxford and Bristol, and the assumption that everyone made was that because she'd applied for Oxford, Bristol turned her down because they knew they'd come second fiddle. The idea that she wasn't suitable for either university wasn't even considered, apparently. When I was planning to apply for Oxford, my sister yelled at me not to because of what happened to this girl. But it's ridiculous that this would happen, it would just be unfair. The universities don't talk to each other about their applicants, for a start there's so many of them that they'd have to set up some kind of secret database to share them, which would be no doubt illegal. If the universities you're applying to are indulging in this kind of thing, they're not worth applying to. So don't worry, you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 23
Thankyou, that is very reassuring! :smile:
I know that a lot of people jump to conclusions about this sort of thing and was concerned because it seemed that everyone felt there was some sort of conspiracy, even my tutor at sixth form (who usually gives very good advice) warned me to put cambridge first!
My parents are a lot keener on me applying to Bristol, so it is very reassuring to know that i won't feel that I may have "compromised" on either application if it is alphabetical and strictly regulated :smile:
However, remember that even though they can't see who else you've applied to they can guess. The fact that you have submitted your uni application early as Oxbridge have a much earlier deadline, means the others unis will probably work out you have applied to oxbridge.
Reply 25
ah yes, thankyou
I'll be applying for medicine (veterinary) though, hopefully, so it will have to be in by Oct 15th anyway :smile:
Out of curiosity, do people not generally get their applications in early? We recently had a talk telling us to aim to get them in at around September time...
People are always advised to get applications in early, as "the early bid catches the worm". Basically, the sooner you get it in, the quicker the unis will start processing your application and considering whether to offer you a place.

However, people often leave it late, and till december to complete their applications. I only just got my application for cambridge in on time, so it's not too surprising that people don't get them in around september time. The only way to get them in that quick anyway is to be really prepared during the summer holidays and do lots of work, and also be sure about what kind of results you will get etc.
Reply 27
A lot of the ******** stories you hear are made up by people who get rejected from the unis and are too ashamed to give the real reason (either that they're not good enough, or that the uni is oversubscribed); so they make up some outlandish excuse to cover it.
acrosstheuniverse
However, remember that even though they can't see who else you've applied to they can guess. The fact that you have submitted your uni application early as Oxbridge have a much earlier deadline, means the others unis will probably work out you have applied to oxbridge.

They can only guess though, if they were found to have guessed wrongly and rejected an applicant because of it (and this fact was leaked to the press) they'd be ripped apart.

Latest

Trending

Trending