The Student Room Group
Reply 1
:eek: an ex-council house. It's going to fall down and you'll get mugged!

Only kidding. It entirely depends where it is. There's some great council housing and not so great.

Much ex-council housing in urban areas is quite mixed, with a selection of working class and middle class. Fairly safe. Council housing is also a lot more generously proportioned that a number of private houses of the same parent (and of a very solid build).

Unfortnately there is also some council housing, particularly that in the more deprived areas, that isn't of a great quality (but still better than most modern housing.

Are you looking to buy it, have a survey done if considered (it'll cost) or the home information pack thing may do. Or are you just renting?
Reply 2
Opps, I'm hoping to rent it for 10 months during Uni term time next year. Its near Barbican tube station, 10 minute walk, and the street is called Cyrus street. Its been done up and looks nice inside. The land lord said its nice and safe, but he would say that :-p. Its the ground floor of a flat. I'm mainly worried about crime, I don't want my precious musical instruments stolen =(
Reply 3
Zophixan
. I'm mainly worried about crime, I don't want my precious musical instruments stolen =(

You get crime everywhere. The key thing to remember is that it's ex-council (which most of the surrounding area is probably also). Not that all council estates were areas of deprivation and crime.

Chances are it's as safe as traditional private housing is just two streets away (if there are some).

Here's the Up my street profile (for what I think is the street in question).

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/my-neighbours/neighbourhood-profile/l/EC1V+0AF.html
Reply 4
Barbican sounds like in in the centre somewhere.If so,I would say its relatively safe.And yes,depends on the area.Some council houses are in really nice areas.:smile:
Reply 5
Oh wow thanks, how did you get a post code, I've never been able to work out how to find postcodes online! I used to just type in the area name on upmystreet. Yeah crime is everywhere, I'm just trying to make it statistically less likely for me to be burgled. At the moment, I'm thinking I should go with it, but views are still welcome.
If you get a chance, wander around the area at different times of day, then you will get a better idea. I'm living ex-council and it is in tower hill and next to million pound apartments, so it really depends on the area. Definitely check out the area, as Westminster sounds safe, but there are some very dodgy streets there. Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
how is the flat accessed? is there a door/gate before you get to your front door? is it key fob or pin code entry (key fob being preferable to a pin code you can share...). Maybe google the estate?
I used to live in one in camden which had a HUGE drugs and prostitution problem. It was horrible living there tbh. Our neighbours were really really weird. But we had a big gate before getting in so it was pretty safe

Latest

Trending

Trending