The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter and Exeter Cornwall Campus - What's the difference?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
And ironing boards!! I love Charlie, total legend. Its walkable from Campus to the harbour at Penryn and theres loads of coastal paths around there for walks, and yeah Gylly & Swanpool are about 10/15 mins 50p bus ride away
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
initiation
When it snowed I was like WTF snow in Cornwall!! Was fun though and a good chance to try out my new camera, was speaking to Charlie on the tuesday morn when we had it and he said he had never seen snow that deep, and then when everyone pulled surf/body boards from no where :biggrin: and went sledging on them down by the path to Penryn.

hahhhaha my sentiments exactly :yep: ..before it snowed, our cleaner Jenny was saying how it never snows in cornwall and i shouldnt be hoping for it to snow..hahahaha was screaming like crazy when it starts to snow that heavily :biggrin: ..hahaah i saw that, it looked like fun but haha too scared to try..would do it next tym it snows :wink:
cornwall campus is grotty =/
i hated it when i went to visit.
i drove 5 hours to get there and only stayed 3 hours.
call me a snob but no way am i paying 33 grand for 3 years to study at a grimy place like that
Reply 23
.pushing.charlotte.
call me a snob but no way am i paying 33 grand for 3 years to study at a grimy place like that

Hahaha jokes?? Grimy?? Where are you going instead then!! doesnt sound like you gave it much chance...
technically, TECHNICALLY, there is no difference in education standards because they fall under the same umbrella of the University of Exeter, and as we all know, Sexeter is the bee's knees.

however, the Cornwall Campus is located in a not-such-a riotous location, Falmouth or something like that? all i'm saying is if you're slightly more of a city/clubs kinda person, then real Exeter's the place to be. it's fun, come come come.
Reply 25
aggieisthesex
technically, TECHNICALLY, there is no difference in education standards because they fall under the same umbrella of the University of Exeter, and as we all know, Sexeter is the bee's knees.

however, the Cornwall Campus is located in a not-such-a riotous location, Falmouth or something like that? all i'm saying is if you're slightly more of a city/clubs kinda person, then real Exeter's the place to be. it's fun, come come come.

Technically? ....Would you like to expand? There obviously is no difference in teaching standards as for a start we share a lot of lectures, there are fewer students in Tremough so smaller class / lab sizes which is generally acknowleged to be beneficial for learning and the location is completely great considering the nature of courses down here, especially sciences where theres a lot of field trips & conservation voluntary work.
You've obviously never been to the Cornwall campus if you dont know quite where it is! but yess Falmouth, which okay isnt quite as riotous as Exeter (no ones gonna argue with that!!) but we certainly do still have a good nightlife here, plus beaches and lovely places soo close to campus - the social life isn't lacking at all - i think anywhere where theres a load of uni students on campus is going to have a social scene & Cornwall is no exception!
Sarahl89
Technically? ....Would you like to expand? There obviously is no difference in teaching standards as for a start we share a lot of lectures, there are fewer students in Tremough so smaller class / lab sizes which is generally acknowleged to be beneficial for learning and the location is completely great considering the nature of courses down here, especially sciences where theres a lot of field trips & conservation voluntary work.
You've obviously never been to the Cornwall campus if you dont know quite where it is! but yess Falmouth, which okay isnt quite as riotous as Exeter (no ones gonna argue with that!!) but we certainly do still have a good nightlife here, plus beaches and lovely places soo close to campus - the social life isn't lacking at all - i think anywhere where theres a load of uni students on campus is going to have a social scene & Cornwall is no exception!

of course i haven't been, Cornwall and i don't get on.. long story..

but yeh was just my opinion was all, Exeter suits me more as a person than Cornwall could, was a pretty throwaway comment though aha.
aggieisthesex
but yeh was just my opinion was all, Exeter suits me more as a person than Cornwall could, was a pretty throwaway comment though aha.

oh please tell :biggrin:
Toxic Tears
oh please tell :biggrin:

ahaha.. NO.
aggieisthesex
ahaha.. NO.

lol why not?
Reply 30
aggieisthesex

Haha ohh i wanna know the story too now! You should know that throwaway comments get ridiculously over-analysed by prospective students!!!
Reply 31
paddy__power
how far are both campuses from the sea?

silly question perhaps.

CC is very close, you've got the Falmouth beaches like Castle and Gylly just a couple miles, and a bit more of a trek to the Newquay beaches (which are some of the best beaches in the world! and absolutely wonderful)

Exeter... dunno. But any beaches there just wouldn't compare to the ones on the North coast of Cornwall.
.pushing.charlotte.

Just out of interest why would you consider the place to be bad? specifically I really can't understand the use of the 2 bold words above to describe a campus which is 5 years old.
Reply 33
initiation
Just out of interest why would you consider the place to be bad? specifically I really can't understand the use of the 2 bold words above to describe a campus which is 5 years old.

Thiss. I dont really understand it... its like the most beautiful place to study ever & all the lec halls are really nice & modern.. plus shes doing zoology... charlotte have you any idea how many great field trips you'd get to go on here?? :s-smilie:
Ehmo
CC is very close, you've got the Falmouth beaches like Castle and Gylly just a couple miles, and a bit more of a trek to the Newquay beaches (which are some of the best beaches in the world! and absolutely wonderful)

Exeter... dunno. But any beaches there just wouldn't compare to the ones on the North coast of Cornwall.

hmmm, ithink ill be applying to cc then XD
As a student at the Cornwall Campus for the last three years almost I can safely say that it is really good. There is a really vibrant life with everyone from miners who like to drink through to crazy arty people.

As for the teaching standards at Cornwall Campus being less, I feel if anything they are more. Lots of my lecturers on renewable energy (and I know it's the same for other courses) have decided to move to Cornwall from other well respected universities eg Durham, Warwick, Edingburgh etc and I think the main reason is because of the area being a nice place to bring up kids/have a family. I'm not saying other places aren't good but I definately think Cornwall is the sort of place a lot of experienced staff will want to move to once they hit their 30s/40s/50s.

As for Falmouth being dull I take it you didn't go out on a night? There are a number of traditional clubs, and then loads of pubs/bars with dancing areas etc which also stay open well past midnight. Also there is a wide variety of venues in terms of music from Cornish/folk music through to dub through to drum and bass through to rock through to trance with practically everything in between.
Truro is only 9 miles away although its mostly fairly twisty roads, in a car i can do it in <15mins, bus takes 30mins for a couple of pounds IIRC, you could also take the train which leaves basically from the bottom of campus to Truro, 15 minute ride for about £1.50.

Truro is the only city near, but it is not big at all, but it does have all the usual shops. Admittedly I don't know too many people with part time jobs but I don't know anyone who goes to Truro to work mainly i presume because you would waste a good % of your money getting there and back.
Asteron
How far away is Truro on the bus? I heard it has all the major facilities/shops like Topman, River Island etc.

Also, what do people do for part-time jobs? Does anyone go to Truro for them?

I would definately recommend taking the train to Truro as it is cheaper and quicker (even including walking to the station). As you quite rightly mention it has all the major highstreet chains (although Falmouth does have a few).

Most people I know haven't got part time jobs, but those that have tend to work in Falmouth or Penryn. I know of very few who work outside these areas. There is still work available down here despite the current economic problems, particularly in the summer months.

PS: For more information see my review on the Tremough Campus. It is set as my homepage (haven't posted address here in case its not allowed).
Reply 38
initiation
Truro is only 9 miles away although its mostly fairly twisty roads, in a car i can do it in <15mins, bus takes 30mins for a couple of pounds IIRC, you could also take the train which leaves basically from the bottom of campus to Truro, 15 minute ride for about £1.50.

Truro is the only city near, but it is not big at all, but it does have all the usual shops. Admittedly I don't know too many people with part time jobs but I don't know anyone who goes to Truro to work mainly i presume because you would waste a good % of your money getting there and back.

Truro is beautiful! Definitely my most favourite place in Cornwall :smile:
Asteron
I've looked on your profile and I can't seem to see a web address?

Just regarding accommodation, when do you usually apply and is it online?

Also are you allowed a mini-fridge in your room?

Thanks.

I believe (If I have done it right!) you click my name and then click on something like 'view Bristolboy's homepage'.

I applied through the post, and if you have applied for the Cornwall Campus you should hear something soon I should imagine! From memory (although it is a bit of a while back) I got the information about the rooms in Glasney Parc around March/April, but if you don't hear anythind soon it may be worth ringing or sending an email just to check.

Technically fridges weren't allowed in the rooms whilst I was there, but the rules may have changed. However, as I have said in a review of Glasney Parc, there is plenty of room in the fridges in the kitchens and so I can't personally see that much of a need for ones unless for medical reasons (once again I'm not sure if I am allowed to post the link here so haven't but it can be accessed through my Tremough Campus review).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending