The Student Room Group

Working and Applying for a job at GAME

I would honestly love a job at my local GAME. it would be a dream come true.

I called earlier in the summer and lone behold they didn't need any staff (expected in the summer period tbh) but I'm going to submit my CV in the next few days so I have it on record for when they start needing jobs in the Autumn/Winter

But honestly, what's it like working there in general? The staff at my local store seem awesome and I obviously love games and feel i could generally give some sound advice to customers.

What're the chances of me being accept or considered and if so, when? I'm currently 16, 17 in September and I know some GAME stores do employ a few under 18s, some don't. If I did get a job there, what would I likely be doing (as i can't sell 18 rated games can I?) and although it doesn't really matter, what would the pay be like?

God I'm desperate for a job there although I'm going to have to accept likely rejection. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I worked there for Work experience and it is fab. That's if you're into gaming. And during your break/lunch you can play the latest game out on the latest console.
Reply 2
Van der Zak
Well I worked there for Work experience and it is fab. That's if you're into gaming. And during your break/lunch you can play the latest game out on the latest console.

I worked for GAME for 4 years (2003-2007). You'll either be behind the counter (unlikely if you are under 18), on the shop floor, or in the back storeroom. If you're behind the counter you will have to make sure that games are rung up correctly, giving people trade-in prices for games, and you'll have to push the reward card. If you're on the floor you'll be keeping the shop tidy, advising people on games and consoles, and bringing out new stock. If you're in the back stores you'll be dealing with the deliveries and keeping the stockroom tidy.

The guys I worked with (and it really is vast majority guys, I was quite often the only female staff member in a store with 2 managers, 2 full-timers and 6 part-time staff) were always really nice and friendly, and knew their stuff about gaming. We always had at least one console in the back room to play games at lunchtime, though some managers took it to excesses (we had one manager who was a serious Pro Evo addict and would frequently be seen challenging the other staff).

All I'll warn you is that it will be difficult to get a job there as one who is under 18, both branches that I worked for (Tallaght and Dundrum) would never employ under 18s as they couldn't put them on the till to sell 18-rated games, though that could just be an Irish thing.

And in case you're wondering - yes, I am a massive gamer.
Reply 4
I went into my local Game and Gamestation recently and they said to me they would start recruitment for xmas in october and to hand in my cv and then keep hassling them about it to get an interview otherwise they'll not take much notice.
Reply 5
Jemma1389
I went into my local Game and Gamestation recently and they said to me they would start recruitment for xmas in october and to hand in my cv and then keep hassling them about it to get an interview otherwise they'll not take much notice.

When you say hassle, what do you mean? Just constantly phone them going "hi...erm it's me again.....got a job =D?" then call and repeat every few hours.

I'm handing in my CV tomorrow.:biggrin:
Reply 6
Ha when I asked about it they just said to keep coming in/calling and asking about it as it would show how interested you are to work there? Hell if it gets me a job there I'll call every few hours!
Nemezys
I can't explain how into gaming I am. I much as I would prefer it not to be labeled as it is, I'm a proper geek/nerd when it comes to gaming.

You don't even need to be good with games. I asked for halo 3 in game the other day and got asked xbox360 or ps3 lol..
Reply 8
trance addict
You don't even need to be good with games. I asked for halo 3 in game the other day and got asked xbox360 or ps3 lol..

LOL I've noticed that.

Some employees there know there stuff and are general gamers (2 guys at my local store are awesome) and others are just there because it's a job that pays....

I don't know about you but as a customer I'd want to go to that store and be able to ask staff about games and get a generally educated reply.
Reply 9
I got a job at the GAME Retail Outlet in my town without an interview! Was on friendly terms with the manager since I worked for a store across the way and I just handed in my CV and got the call a few days later.

A good way to get into working for them is to apply over the Christmas period when they're taking of temporaries, work your ass off, upsell the accessories and take on as much overtime as you get - Then they'll ask you to stay on.

As for gaming knowledge, i'd agree with the overall opinion that has been put forward already - You don't need to know much about gaming to work there. My manager who worked for Loss Proventions for a few years didn't know much about games. He had a Nintendo DS, that was about it.
Reply 10
Nemezys
When you say hassle, what do you mean? Just constantly phone them going "hi...erm it's me again.....got a job =D?" then call and repeat every few hours.

I'm handing in my CV tomorrow.:biggrin:

"Hi, I'm just enquring about my pending job application to see if you know anything new."
Reply 11
How to you apply? Did you just go into the shop and ask if there were any job openings?
IRJesoos
How to you apply? Did you just go into the shop and ask if there were any job openings?

I'm sure you've found out since you posted that comment, but i believe you go in and ask, although whilst on holiday, i saw an advertisement on the window of the town's local GAME. It is worth doing both, asking and keeping an eye out for a job advertisement. I imagine the competition with be immense. So many people of a similar age will go for that job.
Reply 13
hi, when you hand in your cv, do you just hand it in and thats it or can you do it online? if so can someone give me a link?
There's no online system for Game, go hand your CV in :smile:

The other Game thread I've posted some info on there, cos I had an interview with them recently.
xMelx
hi, when you hand in your cv, do you just hand it in and thats it or can you do it online? if so can someone give me a link?

Unfortunetly you cannot apply online for a sales assistant role or whatever the official title is, which is a shame as applying online is becoming more popular. You can apply online for a store manager, deputy manager or a concession manager job. As i've said, if your looking for an assistant job, you can't apply online. But stores do advertise, so keep an eye out. Here's the link to the GAME careers site.
http://retailjobs.game.co.uk/
Reply 16
oh thats a shame...thnx anyway :smile:
Reply 17
Sorry to dig this thread out of its grave. But im in a similar situation.
I have turned 16 and quiet a few of my friends have already got jobs when they turned 16 near the holidays at the peak time of employment.
Anyways, im looking for a job and would love to get it at a game shop, either game or gamestation. I have a great knowledge on games and i am sure i would love the job if i got it. anyway the problem is all the jobs i have applied until now didnt require a cv since they were all filled out online and didnt require one. how do i go about creating my first cv so i can apply at my local gameshops? And has anybody at the age of 16 got a job in a game shop? Idc if i have to handle the deliveries as long as im in the game shop :biggrin:. Thanks guys
Reply 18
..... help please :s-smilie:
I do like to know this too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending