The Student Room Group

19 marks off a B for English lit, worth remark?

I just got my results and although my university accepted me I was a bit annoyed at my english result, I got 401 and 420 is needed for a B.I got 72 an A for my c/w, 45 for Unit 4 (a D-but I was expecting this as our teacher was terrible) but I got 60/120 for unit 6 and a week before the exam I did a mock and got 27/40 which was one mark off a B, so I was expecting much better.HOWEVER, the text I got I found to be quite difficult so this may be why, still I'm quite shocked.

Is it worth a remark for unit 6 (the war unit) or should I just let it be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Usually even if they do amend your mark, its only by a couple of marks so imo not really worth it.
Reply 2
Hmmmm, I was 7 marks off an A in my English AS level and got it remarked - nothing changed. :frown: 7 marks is a lot in AS/A level, and 19 marks is even more.
I wish you lots of luck, though. Did you uni place depend on it?
19 marks sounds like a rather large jump. I think you should just accept the grade and be happy that the uni has accepted you :smile:
Reply 4
Hmm...19 marks up is a lot....I would be sceptical of you gaining a B grade through a remark-but hey, you have nowt to lose by submitting it!
Reply 5
i am off A in two subjects by 3 and 5 marks, so i should remark obviously right?
Reply 6
If it was for 1 or 2 marks then it would be worth it. But you'll never gain 19 marks, and you've got into uni so is there much point anyway.

When i get my results later i'm gonna be a couple of marks off an A but as i only need a B to get into uni i'm not gonna bother sending it off. Its too much hassle.
Reply 7
No it's not. You won't get marked up by 19.
i was 3 marks off an A in my English AS and I got it remarked and it didn't change. VERY annoying, since I was applying for English 2008 and missed my top three choices. they can all suck it though cos i got all As in my A2 modules with full marks in unit 5 :P

it's worth remarking if you think it could make a big difference to applications. if not, it's probably not worth it.

remember it can go down as well as up.
Reply 9
Yeah I've decided to forget it, on the other hand I only just scraped an A in french by 6 marks so overall it's fine!
I understand your sheer absolute annoyance about this ¬_¬ But if you feel like you want to, then you should...but obv it can go down...¬_¬

Can I also ask... in the theme of this topic whether I should get my French remarked for the sheer principle I'm one mark off an A...I'm def. going to my uni so.. it makes no difference but....It's just the principle!!?!?!?!?!?!

Do you think it's worth paying 38 pounds odd just to see if I can get an A? Or should I just...bite my lip and be all "I'm still A standard"? As...I'm thinking it's not worth it but,...at the same time I'm just so annoyed!

Sorry if I sound all pretentious!
Reply 11
tissue shoulders
i was 3 marks off an A in my English AS and I got it remarked and it didn't change. VERY annoying, since I was applying for English 2008 and missed my top three choices. they can all suck it though cos i got all As in my A2 modules with full marks in unit 5 :P

it's worth remarking if you think it could make a big difference to applications. if not, it's probably not worth it.

remember it can go down as well as up.

No, this is A2, last year I got a B (219) and I resat AS unit 2 and went up by 5 marks lol.And despite resitting unit 1 TWICE, I never improved my mark atall lol.I got 54 last summer, 36 this January and now 54 again.At least I can throw away all my english notes and I never have to do it again thank god!!
Reply 12
Bennomajenno
I understand your sheer absolute annoyance about this ¬_¬ But if you feel like you want to, then you should!

Can I also ask... inthe theme of this topic whether I should get my French remarked for the sheer principle I'm one mark off an A...

Do you think it's worth paying 38 pounds odd just to see if I can get an A? Or should I just...bite my lip and be all I'm still A standard?

Sorry if I sound all pretentious!

AS or A2?
Louisdf
AS or A2?

Sorry! Had to edit my post as I forgot to mention it! It's for A2...and I'm accepted into my Uni so...it won't make a big difference but...it's the principle!:smile:
I'm 1 mark off an A for english lit, i might see about getting a remark. Would really love that A!
Reply 15
Well usually the marks for the listening/reading/writer paper are usually very accurate as the mark scheme is very objective.Apparently, if you get the oral exam remarked then a senior examiner will remark it and they are very harsh as they tend to concentrate on what you HAVEN'T said.But coursework can change, it depends on your circumstances.My coursework got moderated down from a low A to a high B.What did you get for each module?
Reply 16
Dreamy_whisper
I'm 1 mark off an A for english lit, i might see about getting a remark. Would really love that A!

I'm so sorry!!But I was 4 marks off a C in GS, damn science paper lol.
Reply 17
I got a B in Philisophy, History and Economics and an E in Computing.

feeling pretty meh, history really happy, philosophy really happy as I got two As and a B in the grade breakup so I can retake the B, economics pretty gutted as got an A in first module in January and in summer exams got a D and B and computing...wut. predicted an A.

what does the E say about me? I want to go to edinburgh which is 3 bs. Should I get it remarked?
Louisdf
Well usually the marks for the listening/reading/writer paper are usually very accurate as the mark scheme is very objective.Apparently, if you get the oral exam remarked then a senior examiner will remark it and they are very harsh as they tend to concentrate on what you HAVEN'T said.But coursework can change, it depends on your circumstances.My coursework got moderated down from a low A to a high B.What did you get for each module?

83/105 for the Oral- which is 1 mark off an A
80/90 for the coursework - A
82/105 for the listening/reading/writing-2 marks off an A
Reply 19
Yeah 19 marks does seem like a lot, probably not worth it, but if it makes you feel better then go for it.

I wish i'd got mine re-marked last year, didn't even think about it, i was only 1 mark off an A last year! Silly. Oh well I got an A this year so all is well :smile:

Latest