The Student Room Group

Geography remark? 1 mark difference!

Hi all
I got my geography AS results this morning (Edexcel spec. B)
I got:
Unit 1 73/100
Unit 2 66/100
Unit 3 100/100
Therefore: 239/300

It is indeed a B, but 1 mark from an A :frown:
Is it worth putting the extra work in next year (I am sitting 2 units in January and leaving the "global challenge" unit until June) or shall i get a remark for Unit 1 (as i sat Unit 2 in January)?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Do it! I was one mark of an A with one of my January units, and I regret not getting the remark!
Reply 2
I think just retake unit two... it's worth trying for those extra UMS. Alternatively, you could just take the A2 modules and try to get nice/high A's in those, leaving you with an 'A' overall.
Reply 3
You may as well resit - one UMS will get it up to an A, but if you resit and get a higher A it'll make getting an overall higher grade in A2 easier, plus you'll have to revise unit 1 again for the synoptic anyway, and remarks are expensive & dont guarrentee(sp) the grade will go up!
Reply 4
Do as many retakes are you can possbly do. Not sure if the rules have changed on that though.

I did my A Levels last year and regret not retaking unit 1, I thought yeh only aim for a B.

Unit 1: 68/90 (B)
Unit 2: 76/90 (A)
Unit 3: 102/120 (A)
Unit 4: 87/90 (A)
Unit 5: 54/90 (C)
Unit 6: 91/120 (B)

Overall: 478/600 (B - 2 marks off an A)

Which is going to annoy me for the rest of my life.

Re-sits. Take them. :smile:
Reply 5
It be worth your while to get a remark and then retake also. If you get a remark and you got an A, uni's will see this instead of the B. Though, you will probably have still have a low A so you might wanna retake to push them up to high A's so you can afford to get a lower grade at A2 and still get an A. Best of luck!!
Reply 6
Thanks for the fast replies!
Well to be honest, i much prefer the content of Unit 2 (human geog). I found Unit 1 such a tough exam and yet i got a B.
Maybe i could resit Unit 2? Is that not in the synoptic? Will this affect my application to a university at all (i.e. Resitting)?
By the way, i am only in year 11, going into year 12 this september so i have done this a year early.
I got 232/300 grr. My only non-A.
Reply 8
luke512
Thanks for the fast replies!
Well to be honest, i much prefer the content of Unit 2 (human geog). I found Unit 1 such a tough exam and yet i got a B.
Maybe i could resit Unit 2? Is that not in the synoptic? Will this affect my application to a university at all (i.e. Resitting)?
By the way, i am only in year 11, going into year 12 this september so i have done this a year early.

Unis won't know that you've resat any if you do them while you're still doing A2s (not sure if thats true of oxbridge), and yes all topics you've covered are in the synoptic so unit 2 is aswell. If it was me i'd resit all of them - thats what i did last year & it worked okay for me! good practice aswell. I resat the skills paper twice, the second time i did worse than the first (when i got a C) but this time around i have managed to somehow get an A in it!! and if i hadn't resat that then i would've got a B overall rather than an A! I dont think it will affect your uni application at all, plus you have to get good at physical anyway for unit 4 so it'll help with revision.
Reply 9
I got an A in A-level geography. 120/120 in coursework.

I'm in a similar posiiton for A level maths, 1 mark off an A
Reply 10
I shall take this up with my geography teacher. But i do think i will end up resitting unit 2. As we are already doing 2 exams in January, the results in March will literally determine our predicted grade so if need be i can resit in June.
All is good, thanks for all your help!

Latest