The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
PQ
That's the main bit - west quay joins onto Above Bar St which also houses the Marlands Centre (a bit pants) and in the other direction the bargate centre (which has a few nice shops (including shakeaway) but also houses "segaworld" or summit equally naff and so tends to be full of 12 yr olds smoking:rolleyes: ).

Past the Bargate is East St which houses a lot of the independant shops and charity shops (basically the shops are too small to attract in the big names)...if you walk down east st (past the nicest newsagent in the world and a strange shop selling lab coats) then you get to Debenhams (and also the maisonnette that I lived in for a year :smile:).

In the other direction - behind west quay there is the west quay retail park (you know the sort of thing - halfords staples and sofas). A bit further on is LeisureWorld - housing the Odeon and Icon/Diva

If you follow above bar st down towards the docks past the turning for east st there are loads of nice foody places/pubs and if you're in the car then you can keep on going down towards the docks and Ocean Village (which isn't all that great but does have a nice tapas bar that does great BBQ chicken wings)

Thanks. I'm going by train so I won't be able to check out all that stuff. I just want to get a feel of the city I *might* be spending three years in :smile: Anywhere on campus you think I should check out? My mate's on an official open day for psychology, I'm just tagging along to keep him company and to look around for myself. I'll have a lot of free time while he's at the psych department, I want to go to the student union of course! And take a walk to the avenue campus because that's where I will be situated.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
PQ
If you check out the student union then make sure you go downstairs to the coffee shop (they were doing christmas dinner in there today and it looked gorgeous - I chickened out and got curly fries). And visit both buildings (they're connected underground via a tunnel) - the glass one contains the coffee shop, the new nightclub/cinema bit and the "bridge" bar as well as the "Piazza" eating place (run by business services)- the brick building (looks a bit like a prison and labelled "refectory" :confused: on the university map) contains the "old" SU bar (through the door and turn left - it's a bit hard to find (some people don't find it for years) but you can always cheat and go through the seperate entrance opposite the shop) and "Garden Court" another eating place run by business services and the best place for pizza on campus.

Definitely check out the library (it's all shiny and new reopened after the refit) including a nice coffee shop:smile:.

The walk down to the avenue is lovely - from the SU follow the cycle path down the hill past the shackleton building (home to geography and psychology) and past the physics building (and my car (don't forget to wave:wink:)) up the steps and along the footpath through the common, over the road at the crossing and down the road directly ahead and you get to the avenue campus. If you go in the first entrance and go down the side of the building you can get in the second entrance (instead of walking all the way round to get in the "main" entrance) the lecture halls are then off to your left and the cafe and seminar rooms to your right (in the old school part of the building), the homes of the various departments and academics are up the stairs behind reception (in the new wing).

Definitely check out the new sports centre (it's all shiny and full of sweaty people) and wander up through the campus to the Gower building where the banks and the bookshop live.

If you've got time on your hands and don't mind a quick walk it's not far up to Glen Eyre - just follow the stream of students...you might even get luck and find someone willing to show you the inside.

Thanks :smile: I don't know what I'd do without you! Nice to see there's a lot of coffee shops! I keep having cravings for hot chocolate with whipped cream :smile: I've got to go now. But I'll make sure I wave to your car tomorrow!
OMG West Quay <33 Can i come? :biggrin: You'll like it Sam!
Reply 4
I'm back! Southampton was really nice! :biggrin: And the buses are the best thing in the world! I didn't have to wait more than about 2 minutes for one all day. I'll just give a quick account of my day for anyone who cares...

Got to Soton about half 11 after waiting at Reading for about an hour because the train was delayed :rolleyes:. Once we got on the train though it took less than an hour which was good. West Quay is soooo cool! There's like everything you could ever want (I got very worried though because I couldnt find a TopShop. Please tell me there is one!)

Got the bus to the main campus. Went along to the psychology talk with my mate and then had 'tea and biscuits' (and nice bakewell tarts!) and went on a tour of the campus. It's really nice and there were Xmas trees everywhere :smile: Checked out the Library, SU and the Gym, which all looked good. Were then taken on an accomadation tour. Went to Glen Eyre and Hartley Grove (which was nice). Didnt have time to go to the Avenue Campus, will save that for next time.

Overall I had a really great day. I liked the fact that the uni is a campus but it doesnt feel as claustrophobic as other campuses that i have visited. The people showing us round were really nice too, and I was really impressed by the city itself and the good transport links (i live somewhere where the bus only comes about every 2 hours :rolleyes: ). Unless I get blown away by UEA, Southampton will def be my insurance, and depending on the other offers I recieve, it might be my firm :smile:
Reply 5
I live in Hartley :d It is lovely. I'm glad you liked the uni, it's a great place to be and if you do come here you will enjoy it..it's pretty hard not too. (P.S. Congrats on beating Spurs with the youth team last night!)
Reply 6
Sophdoph
I live in Hartley :d It is lovely. I'm glad you liked the uni, it's a great place to be and if you do come here you will enjoy it..it's pretty hard not too. (P.S. Congrats on beating Spurs with the youth team last night!)

Thanks. Liverpool rule :biggrin: (And so do Palace! They're my '2nd team')
What are you studying at Soton?
Reply 7
PQ
Top Shop is (or was last time I went shopping (too long ago)) just outside the main doors of west quay - so not actually inside but only about a 30 second walk outside:smile:

I looked outside and couldnt find it :frown:
Reply 8
i used to live there it's bloody excellant! :smile:
~Sam~
I looked outside and couldnt find it :frown:

I'll have to go and investigate for you tomorrow :wink:

It's looking like Southampton will be my firm at the moment. I've also looked round GE and HG (I think it was HG!). :smile:
Reply 10
Bah Hartley Grove. Expensive but shiny looking. Monte is better! Well it has better bus links....

Never been to Avenue Campus because i don't have any lessons there...but its meant to be nice.

There is a topshop, it isn't that big (but then i'm comparing it to Oxford St. :rolleyes: ) Its very near Boots outside West Quay.

SHAKEAWAY!!! Yeahhhhhhhhh
Reply 11
SiAnY
I'll have to go and investigate for you tomorrow :wink:

It's looking like Southampton will be my firm at the moment. I've also looked round GE and HG (I think it was HG!). :smile:

Southampton might be my firm too. Maybe. Probably not. I don't know. Lol. It's gonna be so hard to choose! (well, actually it will be really easy if get rejected from my last three)
Reply 12
Sarky

There is a topshop, it isn't that big (but then i'm comparing it to Oxford St. :rolleyes: ) Its very near Boots outside West Quay.

Oxford Street Top Shop is the best thing in the world!! :biggrin:
~Sam~
Southampton might be my firm too. Maybe. Probably not. I don't know. Lol. It's gonna be so hard to choose! (well, actually it will be really easy if get rejected from my last three)

Exactly. Rejection from Durham = Southampton 1st choice. Offer from Durham = harder decision. Not sure about whether I care about Nottingham really.
Reply 14
hey sam, when did u go to the psych open day?! i was there 2..hmm duno if it was the same one but i had the lovely cherry bakewells as well!! hehe, i went on the 8th so maybe was after you. Did ur mate like it?
Nima
Southampton City Centre Sux, totally. :tsr:

Why?
Reply 16
i went on the 2nd
marcus.williams
Why?

It doesn't suck at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending