The Student Room Group

AQA AS Philosophy..strange grades

heyy
just wondering if anyone else got the philosophy grades they weren't expecting?
I was expecting an A/B and came out with an overall D :frown:
I got a C in theory of knowledge
D in moral philosophy
and E in Sartre
everyone in my class at college were expecting really high grades but came out quite disappointed
has this happened to anyone else?
j_riley
heyy
just wondering if anyone else got the philosophy grades they weren't expecting?
I was expecting an A/B and came out with an overall D :frown:
I got a C in theory of knowledge
D in moral philosophy
and E in Sartre
everyone in my class at college were expecting really high grades but came out quite disappointed
has this happened to anyone else?

I did Edexcel - Philosophy of Religion and Religious Ethics.

I too was expecting an A or B and was on track to it, unfortunately I recall sometimes using non-curricular arguments and facts in the exam and came out with a C. I'm pretty disappointed there, and will be resitting - If you genuinely know your stuff and came out with those marks, its the mark scheme; you simply have to keep in check to whatever they have taught you.

Its damn hard because you have to basically dumb your answer down because they cant award you for the extra info you do know, and you then hence spend less time on what is part of the mark scheme.

Ill just have to bite the bullet when it comes to re-siting, I expect you will too.

Also: Going by your module titles, your course seems much more interesting than mine! Wish my school wasn't a faith school.. Most of the stuff they teach here has a religious spin on it, often pertaining to Christianity. Grrrr

My module titles are:
-Philosophy of Religion
-Religious Ethics

"Lol" :frown:, I might as well be studying Philosophy's inbred cousin "Theology".
Reply 2
A friend of mine was predicting A or B and got an A
Reply 3
Same thing happened to me. I was expecting a high B or low A.

I did bad in Epistemology (had no idea what the part C question was on about), I did the wrong b question in Philosophy of Religion, and thought I really nailed the Plato question.

However, I got an A in Epistemology, B in Philosophy of Religion and just scraped a C in Plato. Really unexpected.

This was for AQA as well.
Reply 4
I got some odd marks too. Was predicted A, getting over 90% in each mock paper we did. The exam went fine for me as far as I recollect, but:

PLY1: 80/100 A (theory of knowledge)

PLY2: 65/100 C (moral philosophy)

PLY3: 93/100 A (Descartes)

Giving a B overall. :frown: As I say, none of the papers was a nightmare, and I felt it was solidly an A. :confused:

I'm going for remarks on the first two btw.
Reply 5
I was getting A's in my mocks
It might just have been my class that were a bit rubbish and the teacher gave us false hopes
I generally tend to do well in the subjects I don't revise or care about
I guess getting the papers back will help me see where I went wrong...or why AQA seem to dislike me lol
Not sure what exam board I did but I did absolutely no revision, had a blank in the exam, my pen ran out and so had to use a crap biro from the front (put me off my flow) and I came out an A. Shocked!!!
Reply 7
I was quite good at philosophy AS but messed up the exam and got a U. It is a weird subject.
Reply 8
I did AQA philosophy and my actual grade was the same as my predicted - an A :smile:
I was on AQA as well. same thing happened to everyone in my class as well. Was expecting an A, ended up with a D. totally shocked..
Reply 10
I got 100% in philosophy AS (AQA) - that was pretty shocking!
Reply 11
Was predicted an A but only ended up with a B thanks to that bastard of a Moral Philosophy paper - I got good As for TOK and Plato, but only got a D for that! Luckily when I resit it I'll only need to get at least a C in order to bring the whole lot up to an A, but seriously, that paper took the piss...grrrrrr....
Reply 12
i got 100% in unit 1 and 2 and a high B in plato. i was expecting a C!! sometimes i think the whole thing is a big joke but hey i aint complaining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was predicting something like an E for myself, and that's what I got. One of my papers got a U. Bastards.

Dreading seeing my Philosophy teacher now. Oy, vey.
Reply 14
the AS philosophy seems to have been marked really harshly

no-one in my school got above a D (and we top the local league tables btw so its not cos we're thick, i was predicted high B and got a mid D)

does this seem to be a national trend?
Reply 15
well for pretty much the whole of year 12 i struggled getting As in homework essays and stuff, but somehow i miraculously got 300/300! i did do some serious revison though
Reply 16
I did AQA...and got an E. I did Moral Philosophy last year and got a D, so I was happy with that. TOK and Plato, however, were resits as I got U's in them last year. Loved both papers, was predicted at least C's in both papers, got E's in them both :frown: How did this happen?? :frown:
Reply 17
How did this happen??

Because AQA have BASTARD markers, that's how!! That and the fact that the questions were a bit dodgy I though.
Reply 18
lizzy_q
Because AQA have BASTARD markers, that's how!! That and the fact that the questions were a bit dodgy I though.

You're right, they do. I do AQA English Lang and Lit, and my school are contesting the grades because they were all so poor. The people expected to get A's got D's. I got a D, and the units went CEC. My English teacher said AQA's marking has been very poor this year...
Reply 19
lizzy_q

AQA are rubbish
for my english lang B AS i got a D in my first unit then resat it and came out with a lower D so i got to keep my first grade...but luckily i did well in my other exam and coursework and came out with a C :biggrin:

is anyone that didn't get what they expected thinking of getting their papers recalled?

Latest