The Student Room Group

Am i doing the write subjects??

I just finished my first year of A-Levels, my AS results wer ABBB
A in Economics
B in Chem, Bio, Maths

As i am really interested in pursuing a career in pharmacy and hope to apply to this year, i was wondering whether economics is accepted by universities for A level because i know they prefer Maths? i want to take Chem, Bio and Economics for A2 because tbh im better at economics then maths but im just a little unsure whether it will effect my chances of getting into MPharm course.

Thanks n sorry for the trouble

p.s i spelt right wrong in the title lol sorry about that
Reply 1
You're not taking the write subjects. You may however, be taking the right subjects.
Reply 2
moody28028
You're not taking the write subjects. You may however, be taking the right subjects.

sorry about that i realised after
If you are really serious as pursuing it as a career, you really have to drop economics - no matter how well you done at AS, as it will not be beneficial by the time you study pharmacy. If I were you, you should take chemistry, biology and maths - that way you will be a stronger candidate by the time you apply for unis. Maths be helpful when you do pharmacy as there could be modules where a strong knowledge of maths is helpful. Even if there is no maths involved whatsoever in you uni course, an employer will prefer someone that did maths to the full a level compared with economics.

Anyway, all is not lost, work hard in your A2 year and concentrate on your maths, but also on your biology and chemisty - who knows, you might even get 3 A's with a bonus AS Level in economics.
Reply 4
im so academic
If you are really serious as pursuing it as a career, you really have to drop economics - no matter how well you done at AS, as it will not be beneficial by the time you study pharmacy. If I were you, you should take chemistry, biology and maths - that way you will be a stronger candidate by the time you apply for unis. Maths be helpful when you do pharmacy as there could be modules where a strong knowledge of maths is helpful. Even if there is no maths involved whatsoever in you uni course, an employer will prefer someone that did maths to the full a level compared with economics.

Anyway, all is not lost, work hard in your A2 year and concentrate on your maths, but also on your biology and chemisty - who knows, you might even get 3 A's with a bonus AS Level in economics.

So if i continued economics would the chances of me getting excepted into a Pharmacy course at better universities be reduced, right now maths really isn't an option as i just about scraped a B :s-smilie:
no it wouldn't. you don't need maths tbh as long as you have bio, chem and an academic subject which economics is.
moody28028

Wow, spelling bee right here.
Reply 7
member9876
no it wouldn't. you don't need maths tbh as long as you have bio, chem and an academic subject which economics is.

thanks alot, one more question lol sorry for the hassle it's about work exp, i've got work experience in a pharmacy already, i just wanted to know if more work experience would be beneficial, i know that it can only help but will it be beneficial in the sense that it would increase my chances of being accepted by better universities?

Thanks again
Reply 8
2008 Mo
thanks alot, one more question lol sorry for the hassle it's about work exp, i've got work experience in a pharmacy already, i just wanted to know if more work experience would be beneficial, i know that it can only help but will it be beneficial in the sense that it would increase my chances of being accepted by better universities?

Thanks again

Firstly, you don't have to drop Economics if you don't want to. You're more likely to do well in a subject you enjoy. The main subjects that count are Chem and Bio. I didn't do Maths A-level but i was fine getting a place in Pharmacy. You can always use the economics thing to your advantage because there is a branch of pharmacy called Pharmaco-economics. I am sure it explains itself, but putting something about it into a personal statement couldn't hurt - and you'll be hard pressed to see it on any other Pharmacy personal statement so yours may be more noticeable.

Secondly, Work experience is good as it shows unis you are looking into the careers properly and can even become a good discussion point when you're in your interview. You don't need too much work experience to be honest, i only had 2 afternoons in Boots and i was fine.