The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
go for what you can at first. even if its really rubbish.
jobs with low appeal will be your best bet at first
Reply 2
Like what? I left my CV at pretty much every single place I could this summer, I applied to numerous places using their application forms. I got a letter from ASDA to say I wasn't what they needed, a 100% automated letter from B&Q to say that I didn't meet their stupidly strict criteria, a letter from PC World to say that I wasn't what they needed. Finally in late July I got a phonecall from a Nisa Local store asking me to go for an interview but decided that the temporary position I'd requested in the covering letter was shorter than the permanent position they were trying to fill, whilst I was at the interview! Other than that they seemed to like me.
Reply 3
Btw I started applying for places towards the end of May, so it isn't as if I left it late.
Reply 4
fast food places?
In your teens and early 20s, employers are aware that you are unlikely to have huge amounts of experience. What they are looking out for are skills and competencies and your ability to demonstrate them through what you've done at school and college.

So if the competency is "teamwork", think how you can demonstrate that. Playing in a football team? Taking part in a drama production? Working on an academic project?
Reply 6
Have you done any voluntary work? If so that counts for something.
Reply 7
Prince Rhyus
In your teens and early 20s, employers are aware that you are unlikely to have huge amounts of experience. What they are looking out for are skills and competencies and your ability to demonstrate them through what you've done at school and college.

So if the competency is "teamwork", think how you can demonstrate that. Playing in a football team? Taking part in a drama production? Working on an academic project?

In my CV I did mention teamwork involving group projects whilst at uni. Due to circumstances, I never did drama. Also I don't participate in sports (and that includes watching!). They hold no interest for me.
Reply 8
I-said-haha
Have you done any voluntary work? If so that counts for something.

Admittedly that does sound like a good idea but it doesn't exactly put bread on the table and if I do it for a short period and then quit it just looks like I couldn't be bothered anyway :|
John@Staffs
In my CV I did mention teamwork involving group projects whilst at uni. Due to circumstances, I never did drama. Also I don't participate in sports (and that includes watching!). They hold no interest for me.

Have a look at http://www.do-it.org.uk/ - remember that a lot of the competition will be able to use examples from academia. The challenge is to find something that will help you stand out. You'll be surprised how seemingly innocuous things can go a long way.
Reply 10
Prince Rhyus

Thank you... I'll look into that :biggrin: .... but does anybody have any suggestions on how to obtain this mythical 'money'?
put on your redlight.
Its all about transferrable skills. Although how come you didn't work during uni?
John@Staffs
Thank you... I'll look into that :biggrin: .... but does anybody have any suggestions on how to obtain this mythical 'money'?

Get yourself on one of these - http://www.princes-trust.org.uk/Main%20Site%20v2/14-30%20and%20need%20help/team%20up%20on%20a%20course.asp

I did one back in 2003 after graduating in 2002 because I'd come to a dead end. just over 3 years later I found myself on the civil service fast stream. The amount of useful CV material you'll get from these is huge. My 3 months with the Prince's Trust was harder than my 3 years at university. Uni was a walk in the park compared to working with a team of people, many of whom had left school with next to nothing and had problems with the police and authority in general.

You are still eligible for benefits even if you are on a Prince's Trust team.
Reply 14
*Star*Guitar*
Its all about transferrable skills. Although how come you didn't work during uni?

My parents helped me out and my student loan carried me some way. I did try and find work after I'd settled in but failed since all the jobs had already been taken. Plus I don't drink/smoke/take drugs and existed solely on 20p Lemonade from Tesco, so there wasn't much spent in that sense of things. My Dad is retired now so is unable to help me out.
John@Staffs
My parents helped me out and my student loan carried me some way. I did try and find work after I'd settled in but failed since all the jobs had already been taken. Plus I don't drink/smoke/take drugs and existed solely on 20p Lemonade from Tesco, so there wasn't much spent in that sense of things. My Dad is retired now so is unable to help me out.

Ah, I wasn't thinking money-wise, just skills and experience-wise, but I guess its luck of the draw when applying.
Reply 16
I just wondered if there was some kind of trick or something that I was distinctly doing wrong that causes nobody except large corporations to even bother to contact me. Evidently it's that I haven't been working hard since I was legally able :| That or they just think I was lying and that I was fired and don't want to say why.
John@Staffs
I just wondered if there was some kind of trick or something that I was distinctly doing wrong that causes nobody except large corporations to even bother to contact me. Evidently it's that I haven't been working hard since I was legally able :| That or they just think I was lying and that I was fired and don't want to say why.

No tricks, just economics :rolleyes:
Reply 18
This is so damn annoying
Ive been sending CV's out since and before my 16th bday (which was nov 07)

and still to this day, i don't have a job!

arghh.
Reply 19
It's nice to know that somebody's in the same boat at least, lol!

Latest

Trending

Trending