The Student Room Group

So are GCSE's really difficult?

I'm starting my GCSE's next month. I was just wondering if you all found them really difficult? I'm a top student, I'm taking AS RE early, and then doing English Lit + Lang, Maths, Science Double Award, Drama, History, Geography & French. Is there alot of coursework involved in these subjects? I prefer the coursework option to alot of exams..

I'm very determined to do as well as I can, and I don't want to get anything other than A*'s, A's and B's? I've been predicted A*/A in Geography, English Lit & Lang and French already, :confused:

Scroll to see replies

drama is pretty good if you can be bothered to do some bits of coursework and a good actor. History is also alright cos u just have to do silly bits of homework and listen and learn about the history of medicine or Germany or something like that. The tests of history ask you about ALOT of things so your choice :smile:
Reply 2
are they difficult? no, not really. there's a fair amount of courseowkr in history, geo, maths, english and french on certain courses, but nothing overwhelmingly bad. you'll be fine if you feel are a top student :smile:
Reply 3
Don't worry, sounds like you'll do fine as long as you keep on top of things or cram the night before.
Reply 4
No i dont think so.
Its all knowing a little about a lot. I think they can easily be done in 1 year rather than 2, but we all have different views about that!
Reply 5
On the whole and as a general statement, yes they are easy for a bright student. :smile:

Best of luck with them, and aim high, you’ll have a hard time achieving all A*s and As if you aim for Bs when you don’t need to!
I'll tell you when i get my results :wink: .
They're honestly not that bad:biggrin:
Especially if your clever and concepts come to you fairly quickly.

It can seem quite daunting at first because you may not be familiar with having so much work to do. Try to stay on top of all your coursework deadlines and put effort in to it! If your aiming for A's and A*'s you will be a very busy chap but it will certainly pay off for you in the end.:biggrin:

Make sure you revise properly.
Reply 8
I'm only aiming for B's in Science, and maybe Maths? But in Maths, if I worked hard, I know I could probably get an A.. I've always only been slighty off it. I was 4 marks off the top level this year, always have been. I remember I was like it in Primary School too. But I didn't revise much at all. One of my friends was expected to get a low level, but revised every day of her half term and completed loads of books, so she got the top level! It just shows you what you can do with a bit of work :smile::smile:
Reply 9
AS Theology (Early)
Drama and Theatre Arts (AQA 3241)
English & English Literature (AQA 3702 / 3712)
French (Edexcel 1226, with AQA Modular 3652)
Geography (OCR: Syllabus B. Avery Hill 1987)
History (OCR 1937)
Mathematics (OCR 1966)
Science Double Award (AQA 4461)
Reply 10
They're pretty easy. Just pay attention, try and absorb stuff in class and not a week before the exam, and you'll do great
Reply 11
Honestly, if you pay attention in class and do your homework, GCSEs are a piece of cake.
Put it this way, if you're alreading using TSR, you should be getting full marks in everything!
moody28028
Put it this way, if you're alreading using TSR, you should be getting full marks in everything!

Hah, yeah I love it on here :p:
Ashamed geek? I dont think so :biggrin:
xoJessicaAnn
Hah, yeah I love it on here :p:
Ashamed geek? I dont think so :biggrin:

Geeks should never be ashamed.

GEEKS FOR PRESIDENT!
I'd say they are

question from june 2008 physics paper

should we explore space? why?

I'd say intelligence won't help you much. Hard work will. One thing I can stake my life on is don't waste your time and work hard from the start of year 10, otherwise be prepared for a stressful and hellish year 11 (personal experience :wink: :p:)
I work mega-hard.
Really must watch that.
xoJessicaAnn
I work mega-hard.
Really must watch that.

Nothing to worry about then :yy: Do a bunch of practice papers a few months before and make sure you print off syllabuses and grade boundaries etc since teachers are naff at these things. We're all sti;l here at the GCSE forum if you need help (I didn't find TSR till year 11) so you're already at an advantage :yy:
trance addict
Nothing to worry about then :yy: Do a bunch of practice papers a few months before and make sure you print off syllabuses and grade boundaries etc since teachers are naff at these things. We're all sti;l here at the GCSE forum if you need help (I didn't find TSR till year 11) so you're already at an advantage :yy:

aw thankyou very much :smile: yeah, i discovered this site when i was choosing my options & i'm so glad i did! cos a few people on here suggested good subjects, for example - i had to choose out of IT and drama. I chose drama :yep: ... so much better and more relaxed than my 3 other big subjects!
xoJessicaAnn
aw thankyou very much :smile: yeah, i discovered this site when i was choosing my options & i'm so glad i did! cos a few people on here suggested good subjects, for example - i had to choose out of IT and drama. I chose drama :yep: ... so much better and more relaxed than my 3 other big subjects!

I'd find IT relaxed, but it varies person to person. and no problem :smile:

Latest