The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

xoJessicaAnn
Thankyou once again! What can i say?! You've helped alot :smile:

No problem hun. If you'd like anymore help, feel free to ask, and I'll try to answer you ASAP.

Or PM me :smile:

Take care x
As long as you work you'll be fine.
Isometrix
lol gcse's difficult? just make sure you have good memorising skills and you can pretty much A* any subject (except eng/eng lit/art/dt).

Eng literature is memorising and analysing. Eng language is about learning techniques and analysing in relation to texts. You need good natural ability to go anywhere near an A* at Maths, actually.
Reply 63
Aim for straight A*s. Might sound difficult now, but it's really not. When you look back at them, you'll realise.
I doubt I'll manage straight A*'s, especially with an A level on top! :eek:
All I know is I won't get an A* in Maths - but I'd be so delighted with an A. Perhaphs one B and one A for my science double award? I'm better at some aspects of Science than others, but does anyone know how they arrange this, because I know for those who have chosen Triple Science, they get three seperate GCSE's, Physics, Chemistry & Biology. But if you're doing double, what happens there? How do they get mixed and so on? Thanks!
xoJessicaAnn
I doubt I'll manage straight A*'s, especially with an A level on top! :eek:
All I know is I won't get an A* in Maths - but I'd be so delighted with an A. Perhaphs one B and one A for my science double award? I'm better at some aspects of Science than others, but does anyone know how they arrange this, because I know for those who have chosen Triple Science, they get three seperate GCSE's, Physics, Chemistry & Biology. But if you're doing double, what happens there? How do they get mixed and so on? Thanks!

Science is, personally, easy. After you cover a subject, use a revision guide for the course that you're taking (I recommend Letts for an A*) and learn all the Higher level concepts + the basic foundations. Do this throughout and when it comes to last minute revision you will only have to go over the things you find hard and by the time it gets to exams, you'll ace your exam :cool:

Also, If you're on AQA Science (or other boards, I don't know), you will have to undertake an ISA (investigative skills assignment) which is similar to a controlled test. Make sure you do it properly as it counts for 25% of your GCSE (that is, technically, 'coursework'.) It can determine your grade.

I messed up my ISA, so I have to retake it in year 11 when I go back to pull my grade up to an A* (I feel like I've currently achieved a high A), although things can change and things can get moderated up or down...

The double science course is usually made up of Core Science and Additional Science which, together, accumulate to give 2 GCSE's. Each one is one GCSE and Core Science is usually completed in Year 10. Additional in Year 11. In Core Science you'll do three units: B1, C1 and P1 (they maybe split into two sections if you're doing the Multiple-choice papers, i.e. B1a and B1b...). Additional Science is just continuing on and building your knowledge and is split into three units of long, structured answers and there are three units: B2, C2 and P2.

:smile:
Ramadulla
Science is, personally, easy. After you cover a subject, use a revision guide for the course that you're taking (I recommend Letts for an A*) and learn all the Higher level concepts + the basic foundations. Do this throughout and when it comes to last minute revision you will only have to go over the things you find hard and by the time it gets to exams, you'll ace your exam :cool:

Also, If you're on AQA Science (or other boards, I don't know), you will have to undertake an ISA (investigative skills assignment) which is similar to a controlled test. Make sure you do it properly as it counts for 25% of your GCSE (that is, technically, 'coursework'.) It can determine your grade.

I messed up my ISA, so I have to retake it in year 11 when I go back to pull my grade up to an A* (I feel like I've currently achieved a high A), although things can change and things can get moderated up or down...

The double science course is usually made up of Core Science and Additional Science which, together, accumulate to give 2 GCSE's. Each one is one GCSE and Core Science is usually completed in Year 10. Additional in Year 11. In Core Science you'll do three units: B1, C1 and P1 (they maybe split into two sections if you're doing the Multiple-choice papers, i.e. B1a and B1b...). Additional Science is just continuing on and building your knowledge and is split into three units of long, structured answers and there are three units: B2, C2 and P2.

:smile:

That sucks. I'm quite good at Biology, despite not listening to a word this year :s-smilie: but I can't grasp the concept of Chemistry at all and I'm alright at Physics. Well, I'm out to prove them all wrong. Obviously, my science teacher just thinks I'm a chatterbox, who can acheive a B with a bit of work. I'm just going to try my best and perhaps when I get the trial AS RE lessons and remaining IT coursework, really concentrate on the Science. I used to be a high acheiver in Science, it's only because I really did not listen to anything this year - and yes, I regret it :frown:

Yeah, the course is AQA 4461.
1. How science works - scientific method including the skills of evaluating evidence and its implication for Society. Class practical with assesment or practical skills + 45 minute written test = 25%
2. Biology 1a Human Biology.
3. Biology 1b Evolution and Environment.
4. Chemistry 1a Products from Rocks.
5. Chemistry 1b Oils, Earth and Atmosphere.
6. Physics 1a Energy and Electricity
7. Physics 1b Radiation and the Universe.
^ 2 - 7 = Module tests in Novemeber, March and June. Multiple Choice, 30 minutes each. Each worth 12.5%

:eek: :s-smilie:
xoJessicaAnn
That sucks. I'm quite good at Biology, despite not listening to a word this year :s-smilie: but I can't grasp the concept of Chemistry at all and I'm alright at Physics. Well, I'm out to prove them all wrong. Obviously, my science teacher just thinks I'm a chatterbox, who can acheive a B with a bit of work. I'm just going to try my best and perhaps when I get the trial AS RE lessons and remaining IT coursework, really concentrate on the Science. I used to be a high acheiver in Science, it's only because I really did not listen to anything this year - and yes, I regret it :frown:

Yeah, the course is AQA 4461.
1. How science works - scientific method including the skills of evaluating evidence and its implication for Society. Class practical with assesment or practical skills + 45 minute written test = 25%
2. Biology 1a Human Biology.
3. Biology 1b Evolution and Environment.
4. Chemistry 1a Products fro.m Rocks.
5. Chemistry 1b Oils, Earth and Atmosphere.
6. Physics 1a Energy and Electricity
7. Physics 1b Radiation and the Universe.
^ 2 - 7 = Module tests in Novemeber, March and June. Multiple Choice, 30 minutes each. Each worth 12.5%

:eek: :s-smilie:

You're doing the same course as me. I'm awaiting the results now :biggrin: Trust me, if you want an A*, you can get it but you obviously need to practice a lot.

Like I previously stated yesterday, you should use past papers and a good revision book - both combine to give you success. You get a choice of whichever tier you want to go for that day. Higher tier questions are usually ambiguous and try to trick you. They're mainly questions that require critical thinking and deduction skills with little scientific knowledge. Basically these tests examine your knowledge and skills of how to apply your scientific skills to real life situations.

I say - don't worry. Just go with the flow, other pupils might be thinking the same as you, we all have. I achieved full marks in the first module on Higher tier - A* :biggrin: and everyone was pleased with me when I was least expecting it.
Ramadulla
You're doing the same course as me. I'm awaiting the results now :biggrin: Trust me, if you want an A*, you can get it but you obviously need to practice a lot.

Like I previously stated yesterday, you should use past papers and a good revision book - both combine to give you success. You get a choice of whichever tier you want to go for that day. Higher tier questions are usually ambiguous and try to trick you. They're mainly questions that require critical thinking and deduction skills with little scientific knowledge. Basically these tests examine your knowledge and skills of how to apply your scientific skills to real life situations.

I say - don't worry. Just go with the flow, other pupils might be thinking the same as you, we all have. I achieved full marks in the first module on Higher tier - A* :biggrin: and everyone was pleased with me when I was least expecting it.

Oh well done! :biggrin: and thankyou again :s-smilie:
xoJessicaAnn
Oh well done! :biggrin: and thankyou again :s-smilie:

:biggrin: Do you want to ask anything else :smile:?
Ramadulla
:biggrin: Do you want to ask anything else :smile:?

Ugh, I'm just so confused with how much work I've got to do. Plus, I know for a fact not many people will take it seriously this year, or they'll start the year fully concentrated and everything and then just start to mess about. This just makes it so hard to concentrate yourself, you know?! :no:

What did you take for GCSE anyway? :biggrin:
Good luck with your results!

Do you usually get predicted grades at the beggining of Year 10? I only got predicted grades for certain subjects because I took the time to speak to them about it, my school hasn't given out predicted grades.. yet? Or when do you usually get these, if not at the start of Year 10? Pretty annoying because they're hardly going to predict you a load of A*'s and A's, just incase you don't acheive it - they usually put down your mark. For example, my english teacher had to put 6a for my english grade when she knew it was so much higher than that - but when I asked her about it, she said she wasn't allowed to put a 7 until the SATs results came! So perfectly able students, with a few of us being nearer 8's to be honest, were graded at 6a. It's really stupid :frown:
xoJessicaAnn
Ugh, I'm just so confused with how much work I've got to do. Plus, I know for a fact not many people will take it seriously this year, or they'll start the year fully concentrated and everything and then just start to mess about. This just makes it so hard to concentrate yourself, you know?! :no:

What did you take for GCSE anyway? :biggrin:
Good luck with your results!

Do you usually get predicted grades at the beggining of Year 10? I only got predicted grades for certain subjects because I took the time to speak to them about it, my school hasn't given out predicted grades.. yet? Or when do you usually get these, if not at the start of Year 10? Pretty annoying because they're hardly going to predict you a load of A*'s and A's, just incase you don't acheive it - they usually put down your mark. For example, my english teacher had to put 6a for my english grade when she knew it was so much higher than that - but when I asked her about it, she said she wasn't allowed to put a 7 until the SATs results came! So perfectly able students, with a few of us being nearer 8's to be honest, were graded at 6a. It's really stupid :frown:

Once you get into Year 10, don't pay much attention to your SATs. They're pointless by then, they're just assessments for KS3, that's all. I achieved 7,6,5 in my SATs and I'm working at A*/A in pretty much everything! Try not to pay attention to the predictions you receive at the START of Year 10 -- they're very ambiguous and computer processed. But do pay attention to the ones you get at the start of Year 11, they're much better because it's from your teacher's assessment throughout your first GCSE year.

Be natural, stop worrying and I'm sure you'll do well :smile:
Reply 72
Nah they're not really anything to worry about, as long as you do a decent amount of work. I did well in my coursework but then didn't revise all that much for my exams and came out with A*'s and A's. Just do what you can and you'll be fine. Don't stress about them but don't be too laid back either :p:
Hey, as long as you put in the effort in the second year you'll be fine. Well that's what I did anyway :biggrin:

Coursework's usually really irritating though. No worries anyway!
Reply 74
They're very easy. I'd say intelligence counts more than hard work. If you're intelligent you should easily pick up everything throughout the year even if you don't really listen and only really need to refresh your memory near exams.
Reply 75
I will find out in 6days..
and let you know :smile:
jaz_jaz
I will find out in 6days..
and let you know :smile:

Very best of luck to you..
and everyone awaiting their GCSE results! :biggrin:
Ramadulla
Eng literature is memorising and analysing. Eng language is about learning techniques and analysing in relation to texts. You need good natural ability to go anywhere near an A* at Maths, actually.

you don't need natural ability to get an A* in maths believe me...at gcse if you just learn the concepts you can apply it to any question e.g. SOHCAHTOA.
Isometrix
you don't need natural ability to get an A* in maths believe me...at gcse if you just learn the concepts you can apply it to any question e.g. SOHCAHTOA.

I agree. I know people who are definitely not talented at maths who will be getting A/A* on Thursday. If you are talented it takes less work, but you can still get an A* if you work hard but don't have natural ability.
moody28028
I agree. I know people who are definitely not talented at maths who will be getting A/A* on Thursday. If you are talented it takes less work, but you can still get an A* if you work hard but don't have natural ability.

Really? Even whilst studying all of those other subjects? :s-smilie:
I'm not particuarly amazing at Maths. I'd say I'm just average?
I don't really want to get worked up for an A*, just incase I get a B or something, when it comes round to it. We'll just have to wait and see what the teacher predicts :biggrin: Though OFCOURSE i'll try my best no matter what :yep:

Latest