The Student Room Group

What jobs can you do with a degree in Biochemistry (C700)

Scroll to see replies

Yes.

An honours biochemistry or any analytical based science degree requires mathematical competency in the form of being able to analyse data sets, quantify and measure things etc. So you gain logical and mathematical competency as well as critical thinking skills.

You also learn how to work with people in a lab for your thesis project (interpersonal and teamwork skills) and how to write a thesis, which is largely self directed learning (development of initiative and research skills). As you're working with dangerous chemicals or potentially harmful machinery (sometimes) in the lab, you must develop a good technique and eye for experimentation (observational, analytical and organisational skills). Since you often have to present your findings at a seminar or lecture - you learn how to give presentations (written, aural and oral communication skills).

These are but a handful of transferrable skills that are to be gained from doing a science degree. I just thought of these from the top of my head, I'm sure there are many more.

You need a good honours degree to get what you want.
CDP
Yes.

An honours biochemistry or any analytical based science degree requires mathematical competency in the form of being able to analyse data sets, quantify and measure things etc. So you gain logical and mathematical competency as well as critical thinking skills.

You also learn how to work with people in a lab for your thesis project (interpersonal and teamwork skills) and how to write a thesis, which is largely self directed learning (development of initiative and research skills). As you're working with dangerous chemicals or potentially harmful machinery (sometimes) in the lab, you must develop a good technique and eye for experimentation (observational, analytical and organisational skills). Since you often have to present your findings at a seminar or lecture - you learn how to give presentations (written, aural and oral communication skills).

These are but a handful of transferrable skills that are to be gained from doing a science degree. I just thought of these from the top of my head, I'm sure there are many more.

You need a good honours degree to get what you want.

I heard outside of Oxford, Bristol Biochemistry is one of the best?
As I say all of the time, it seriously does not matter where you do your undergraduate degree.

What is important is your degree result and how you use your degree after.

Both places are great to study biochem. You get what you put in. You work your ass off - you'll reap the rewards in the end.

I would encourage anyone interested in the biosciences to also look at universities abroad - like Germany, Ireland etc.
CDP
As I say all of the time, it seriously does not matter where you do your undergraduate degree.

What is important is your degree result and how you use your degree after.

Both places are great to study biochem. You get what you put in. You work your ass off - you'll reap the rewards in the end.

I would encourage anyone interested in the biosciences to also look at universities abroad - like Germany, Ireland etc.

Well if I was to be working in England, than a degree from say Bristol or Imperial would look better than a degree from Zurich or Berlin, especially in the field of banking and finance which is not directly related to the Bioscience industry. It also helps to speak German fluently...which I do not.

Ok perhaps in Ireland, though I still think its better to stay in the UK.
Hedgehunter
Well if I was to be working in England, than a degree from say Bristol or Imperial would look better than a degree from Zurich or Berlin,

No. Absolutely not. Moving universities at an early/any stage in third level education is highly favoured amongst employers in nearly all sectors. It demonstrates initiative, a heightened sense of maturity, determination and motivation to succeed.

Its not really necessary to move at undergraduate level. But a postgraduate level, it is disastrous to stay in the same place as you did your undergraduate degree. Its the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot, academically. This is a well known and accepted fact in academic circles.

You're at a severe disadvantage when it comes to competing against people who have moved around, if you stay in the one place. Each period of education in a particular location should be finite.

Hedgehunter
It also helps to speak German fluently...which I do not.

Nearly all european (especially German) laboratories in the biosciences are English speaking. They must be as they are composed of multinational teams of postdoc's, PhD students and lab heads (who are often not of the same nationality that the lab is in, at all).
CDP
No. Absolutely not. Moving universities at an early/any stage in third level education is highly favoured amongst employers in nearly all sectors. It demonstrates initiative, a heightened sense of maturity, determination and motivation to succeed.

Its not really necessary to move at undergraduate level. But a postgraduate level, it is disastrous to stay in the same place as you did your undergraduate degree. Its the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot, academically. This is a well known and accepted fact in academic circles.

You're at a severe disadvantage when it comes to competing against people who have moved around, if you stay in the one place. Each period of education in a particular location should be finite.

Well since as soon as I have completed a Bsc I would probably move away from the science field and into accounting/Investment banking, so really a Phd/Msc in another science field wouldnt help me much. (it could look like I was indicisive about career choice) Though maybe in a few years following I could do an MBA if I thought it would help my career.
Exactly. Just saying, that's all!

You may think completely different in four years, I know I did!!! :smile:

Best of luck.
CDP
Exactly. Just saying, that's all!

You may think completely different in four years, I know I did!!! :smile:

Best of luck.

That may well happen, thanks for your help! :cool:
yeah you can definitely get a job in another sector that is completely unrelated to science coz think about it...a science graduate has so many skills from numeracy to dexterity....just read the person spec for the job and you'll realise how many skills you have even though you might not have a very relevant degree...
Reply 29
does anyone have information about those law conversion course?
Reply 30
alleycat393
I am halfway...well almost...through my Biochem degree and as far as I know a Biochem graduate can go either into research or industry depending on whether you're interested in pure science or a more application based approach...as far as salaries are concerned, a gradute in Biochem can demand about 10-14000 quid a year on a contract basis...

Do you like studying biochemistry? Are you glad you chose to study it?
Reply 31
Hedgehunter
I heard that there are other possibilities outside of science jobs if one does a Biochemistry degree, such as taking an accountant course whilst working for deloitte etc. I heard that these type of companies don't mind what type of degree you do as long as it is academic and stimulating and come away with some transferable skills.

Is this true?

yes you are right. they do recruit people who are not accountancy major.

also for law (GDL, Graduate Diploma in Law, something like that) and banking. in which case they will be looking at the qualities of the person, outside the specialized area one is trained in. transferrable skills etc.

roughly for my course (Imperial, around 90 graduands per year), 10% of people will join these sectors as fresh graduates.
Kinkerz
Do you like studying biochemistry? Are you glad you chose to study it?

Yes I do enjoy studing Biochemistry. Very much! Well, honestly, I did struggle a bit with the pure Chemistry that we did in our first year and now as a third year I'm more interested in molecular immunology, virology and infectious diseases but I feel that my degree in Biochemistry has given me a strong enough foundation to go into whatever area of biology I want to at a later stage (I plan to do a phd). And going by this article:

http://www.fiercebiotechresearch.com/story/biochemists-fetch-highest-salaries-life-sciences/2007-10-09

I think my degree is a damn good investment! :wink:
alleycat393
I am halfway...well almost...through my Biochem degree and as far as I know a Biochem graduate can go either into research or industry depending on whether you're interested in pure science or a more application based approach...as far as salaries are concerned, a gradute in Biochem can demand about 10-14000 quid a year on a contract basis...

is it rli possible to get 14000 pounds for a graduate in biochemistry cuz i have just taken biochemistry an di was thinking whether if it was a good investment or not so i m rli confused and is tht 14000 after u finish the 3 year or do u have to do a masters or something....thx for help
bye
terminatorsb
is it rli possible to get 14000 pounds for a graduate in biochemistry cuz i have just taken biochemistry an di was thinking whether if it was a good investment or not so i m rli confused and is tht 14000 after u finish the 3 year or do u have to do a masters or something....thx for help
bye

Well depending on where you work (which part of the country, academia or industry and which company), yes you can earn that much or maybe slightly more.

BUT, as a graduate the only kind of jobs available to you would be temporary contract jobs simply because almost everyone applying for permanent positions will have phds and a phd may even be a requirement. The only other thing to mention is that even for temporary contract positions, most of your competition will have masters degrees so while it may not be a requirement your chances of getting a job are slim without that masters degree.
Reply 35
Interesting thread with helpful comments in it!
Original post by CDP
I agree to an extent! Depending on who you're with!

And even then, I'd doubt that your intellectual property would be safe! You certainly have far more chances to make more money in industry than in academia.

In my country a full professor's salary can be anything from €100,000 a year upwards depending on reputation. But then again, a postdoc in the states in industry (in the right place) can earn $60,000 starting with as little as a year's postdoc experience. It also depends where your funding is coming from - as I say, if your research is good enough - you will have no problem securing the big grants.

It just depends on what you want and if you're good enough plus have the confidence to be where you need to be. You also have to make yourself valuable, for example - its regarded as better to do your postgrad abroad. You can make yourself more valuable with the decisions you make at undergrad/grad level. The more research experience you have, the higher your grades, the younger you are, the more publications you have, prestigious fellowships, who funds you for your PhD, reputation in the field, previous supervisors, novel skills and attributes that you have... it all adds up.

A good biochem graduate can earn a lot of money if he/she makes strategic decisions early on in his/her career.

thanks that was really helpful :smile: any countries in particular which would be good to do a postgrad in?
Reply 37
It a fabulous degree because it combines chemistry knowledge with biomedical application. Very interesting. In reality high earning potential relates to leadership roles in many scientific or general management positions. It can be the gateway to further study and to other professions eg accountancy. My mate who studied biochemistry then did an MSc in computer science and is already a professor!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending