The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Just a word of warning, make sure you request a PHOTOCOPY of your paper and not your ACTUAL script, because if they send you back your actual one, you cannot have it remarked. xxx
Reply 41
This has happened to me last year. Although it was only my January Modules, I got a D in my law Mod 1 and was shocked. But heard that everyone's is going to be remarked. And ended up with a B, which a 2 grade difference!
I think you should get it remarked. Although you've got to be fully aware that your mark will go down as well as up, so don't be disappointed if it goes down a few marks. Also if you are only a few marks off an A or B I wouldn't recommend resitting unless you think you could definetly get better than that and are could manage all with all your other exams too. Besides if it was only a few off, you should concentrate more on your other exams to achieve good marks in them.
Reply 42
Btw - I have NEVER heard of exam marks going down. Someone can feel free to correct me on this, but the worst i've heard is that they stay the same and you have to pay the cash. :P
Reply 43
im two marks off an A in Rs, should i get it remarked?
Reply 44
jomo
Btw - I have NEVER heard of exam marks going down. Someone can feel free to correct me on this, but the worst i've heard is that they stay the same and you have to pay the cash. :P

Actually this has happened to me also. I got an E in Biology overall at AS, one mark off a D. So the teacher sent my lowest paper to be remarked. I didn't have to pay for this I think college must've paid, but my mark actually went down in that paper. Obviously was gutted. So it doesnt actually happen. And when my mark went down, I didn't pay for anything. The grade still stayed an E, but all the points count right?
Reply 45
Sports Racer
From experience, here's some speculation of your 'chances', although a photocopy seriously wouldn't go amiss:
'I'M OUTRAGED WTF ARE YOU DOING [AQA/Edexcel/OCR]' = 70%+. e.g. My Computing coursework exam C to A.

What do you think about going from a U to a B? And yeah, I'm pretty outraged about my grade. Considering that my teacher thought my coursework (AQA, CPT3) was good, I thought the exam went reasonably well, and was expecting at least a C. The rest of the module results were 4 As and a C.
Reply 46
I am getting 3 modules remarked. I am getting one psychology paper remarked because I am 4 marks away from an A. I am also getting two geography modules remarked, i need 7 marks altogether to get me up to an A. What do you think my chances are?
Reply 47
coolduck
im two marks off an A in Rs, should i get it remarked?

Yes you should, 2 marks isn't a lot, especially in an essay subject you can scrape 2 marks from somewhere.
1 mark in critical thinking worth it?
Medicine Man

well critical thinking is quite a pointless subject so i wouldn't worry about that to be honest; you want to focus on your main subjects in geting them at grade A's
Reply 50
trayder
I am getting 3 modules remarked. I am getting one psychology paper remarked because I am 4 marks away from an A. I am also getting two geography modules remarked, i need 7 marks altogether to get me up to an A. What do you think my chances are?

So does anyone think it is worth me doing this?
Reply 51
Medicine Man

If you've got the money to spare, there's no reason not to. It's worth a shot for 1 or 2 marks.
Reply 52
Lady Bug
Actually this has happened to me also. I got an E in Biology overall at AS, one mark off a D. So the teacher sent my lowest paper to be remarked. I didn't have to pay for this I think college must've paid, but my mark actually went down in that paper. Obviously was gutted. So it doesnt actually happen. And when my mark went down, I didn't pay for anything. The grade still stayed an E, but all the points count right?

Wow, I stand corrected! It may have been because your marks changed that they didn't charge you - still you're right, remarks don't always go your way. :frown: Still I always think it's better to try rather than to live in doubt and think a few years what would have happened if you tried it...
la liane...
oh my gosh I'm in the same predicament atm as I'm 1 mark off a B for maths and 1 mark off an A for music!!

Any help appreciated.. anyone? :smile:

Just thinking, seeing as you are so close to the grade anyway, is it worth a re-mark? If you work hard next year, your grade will pull those up anyway so it's perfectly reasonable that you'll leave with A's and B's.

Plus, it'll save you money. It costs £55 at my school to remark, is it really worth that to get one mark? One a grade that you can pull up easily with subsequent exams?

Remember as well, remarking can go down as well as up. If i was you, i'd sit tight. :cool:
iamsam
What do you think about going from a U to a B? And yeah, I'm pretty outraged about my grade. Considering that my teacher thought my coursework (AQA, CPT3) was good, I thought the exam went reasonably well, and was expecting at least a C. The rest of the module results were 4 As and a C.

Yea, that looks pretty dodgy. I don't know what grade you'll end up with but if you think your coursework answered the questions you're definitely looking at something higher than a U.

By the way, my dodgy result last year was AQA CPT3 as well. I don't know how it's possible to give someone something that's two grades below what it should be. Do they miss out pages or what?
Okay, I'm going to be another annoying person asking for opinions :yep: Sorry, but some input would really be appreciated.

Yesterday I got my Edexcel Politics marks, and somehow I managed to get 100/100 in Units 1 and 3, and 65/100 in Unit 2, which is a C, bang in the middle. 70 is a B, 80 is an A. So I'd only need 15 marks to go up to an A.

The thing is, I'm thinking something must be wrong here. I honestly thought I would get a straight C in Politics, but I would have put money on Unit 2 being my best grade. I found Unit 1 tough, and my teacher said it was the oddest Unit 1 paper she had ever seen, and I'd only ever done Unit 3, source style, once before so I wasn't expecting anything. I thought Unit 2 was fine! Even if the above wasn't the case, the fact that I manged to get 100 in 2 modules and a C in the other seems to warrant some suspicion, no? Unit 2 is comprised of 6 essay questions of varying sizes, and I'm seriously wondering if the examiner forgot to factor one in to the total or something. :s-smilie:

So what do you think? Worth a remark? It's a big chunk of UMS, and if I didn't get a remark I'd do a retake anyway...
Reply 56
Sports Racer
Yea, that looks pretty dodgy. I don't know what grade you'll end up with but if you think your coursework answered the questions you're definitely looking at something higher than a U.

My story is a little more complicated though. I started this A Level when I was in year 9. When I did CPT3 back then, I got a U because it was (a) my first ever coursework (b) I had only ever glanced at the paper (c) I didn't even finish the coursework, and (d) I didn't answer most of the questions because I couldn't. This time, despite doing much better, and working far, far harder, I got a worse U.

By the way, my dodgy result last year was AQA CPT3 as well. I don't know how it's possible to give someone something that's two grades below what it should be. Do they miss out pages or what?
I think the exam itself is flawed. No examiner wants to mark an exam by wading through page after page of code. It should either have been all coursework or all exam, in my opinion. At least that course has been discontinued now.
Reply 57
Hey all, I'm 4 UMS marks off an A in my my AQA Product Design Materials and Components test, do you think it's worth getting it re-marked? I'm not entirely sure how the UMS marks work you see. Ta!
iamsam
My story is a little more complicated though. I started this A Level when I was in year 9. When I did CPT3 back then, I got a U because it was (a) my first ever coursework (b) I had only ever glanced at the paper (c) I didn't even finish the coursework, and (d) I didn't answer most of the questions because I couldn't. This time, despite doing much better, and working far, far harder, I got a worse U.

That is shockingly bad marking. So, your highest result is from when you didn't answer half the paper? That doesn't make any sense. AQA's got some 'splaining to do.

At least that course has been discontinued now.

Hooray! The exams were a joke, though. CPT1&2 are like MS Office with a little bit of binary (which I had my calculator do for me anyway). CPT3 is just long and unnecessary. Looking at the new Computing specification it looks a lot better with the whole programming on the PC in the exam type thing. But somehow I think it'll end up worse than before.
i'm getting 2 papers remarked, a history module i only just got a C on (which is very strange considering i got 96% in another module, when i came out of the exam i thought i'd got a low A at least) and C2 maths. i was going to leave maths, but my teacher came up to me yesterday and told me he thought i'd definitely got higher in that paper, and i'm only 2 marks off a B.

if all goes to plan, my overall history AS grade will go up to an A and my overall maths will go up to a B. i will also lose all faith in the examination system.

Latest