The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hedgie
OK - which college do you think has the grumpiest porters? I've heard some at Magdalene are pretty miserable!

Possibly Corpus or Cauis.
Reply 2
Ralfskini

Oi!

You just gotta get to know the Corpus porters...
Reply 3
Caius ones have always been friendly when I've been there handing in work etc, and they were nice to a friend who was playing assassins, letting him into St. Michs through the beep card access.

Some of Kings porters can be grumpy, but over the summer there was someone I did electronics practicals with in the first year and a really cool old guy, and so when they're working the overall grumpyness level is mitigated.

Most porters seem alright if you know how to act around them, if you're a rah then they'll probably take an instant dislike to you though :wink:

A.
Ralfskini

your mum
caius ones tho can be a bit grouchy, but thats more because of the silly cius rules than the porters
dreamer
Oi!

You just gotta get to know the Corpus porters...

Have Lee and James tried to sell you anything yet..?
Give it time...
Reply 6
newnham porters are *horrible*! one of them refused to let my friend pick my work up for me. what is the point of getting arsey about an envelope full of photocopied journal articles?!
Reply 7
Arsey King's porters in the summer :mad:
Reply 8
the worst was the selwyn and emma one! they were watching tv and when i tried to enquire about directions (cos i was lost) they came across as (im too busy to answer you) and didnt really give me a good vibe.
i thought the corpus one was really nice, how come you dont like them?
Reply 9
What are the girton porters like ? ? ? (thats if any of you have ever made the long journey out there :biggrin: )
Reply 10
with the emma ones, the ones late at night are a bit grumpy....but what you need to do is approach them with the line "You're a porter of infinite wisdom, any chance you can help me with...".....they love it when you treat them as superiors
Reply 11
Lol, even the porters add randomness to this melting pot of insanity. I FEAR Cambridge:frown: One of the porters read a sign out to me on an open day and said: 'You can read can't you!?' I was disgusted...
Reply 12
yes they enjoy making you look stupid....hence why i always treat them like gods!
Reply 13
Willa
yes they enjoy making you look stupid....hence why i always treat them like gods!
Best part is I then quite loudly said, yes I can read, but I'm here for the open day and would just like to take a walk around the college. Thanks. He then sort of backed off a bit... it was weird.
The Peterhouse ones were rude to me when I wanted to take a prospective student for a quick look round, so I disapprove of them (needless to say he didn't apply there). The others I've met are all lovely though :smile: They all seem to share a very dry sense of humour...
Reply 15
we have cool porters who chill in the bar and pose for photos:
http://ucs.clare.cam.ac.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10021/normal_DSCN1922.JPG
Reply 16
foolfarian
Have Lee and James tried to sell you anything yet..?
Give it time...

Lee and James are sound: Lee has distracted me in the library by banging on the window. Also the cooks are dudes.

So who in the upper years should I be looking out for as the 'legends' of college J?
Reply 17
homerton ones rule
Reply 18
keithy
homerton ones rule

Yay! One more positive aspect about Homerton.
Reply 19
amateurish
newnham porters are *horrible*! one of them refused to let my friend pick my work up for me. what is the point of getting arsey about an envelope full of photocopied journal articles?!

You're right, we do actually have the meanest porters! Our JCR is compiling a folder of complaints at the moment to try and deal with the situation! They're so nasty and rude, ask any question (sensible ones, nothing stupid that you can't find elsewhere) and they just shout at you. They get so annoyed if you ever get a parcel it spoils all the fun! My friend had flowers delivered, they told her that it was inappropriate or something like that!
They are very protective though, sometimes a little too protective, but it's nice knowing they are there sometimes. One of the night porters is lovely though, and one of the younger ones is quite funny.

Latest

Trending

Trending