The Student Room Group

What is the difference between these????

i think i may sound a lil stupid for asking this but i just need to get this clear, and soon:

What is the difference between pharmacology, pharmacy, pharmaceutical sciences and pharmacological sciences??????

do you end up having the same kind of career opportunities?

n which one helps u on the road to industrial pharmacy..?

thanks..
Reply 1
Pharmacy: The science and practice of medicines. It covers a lot of areas such as drug discovery, development, and manufacture; how drugs travel in the body, cause their effects, and are removed from the body; the physiology of the human body and how certain disease states arise; the legal and ethical aspects of working as a pharmacist; manufacturing unlicensed products; and many many more!

Pharmacology: The study of drug molecules and how these work and travel round the body, how they elicit their response. This goes hand in hand with therapeutics and physiology.

Pharm' Sciences: This can sometimes be very similar to the pharmacy degree, just without the professional and clinical aspects. You are more likely too look into the industrial and research side of things than you are as a pharmacist. You will do a lot more analysis than pharmacists and will get to grips with spectra and analysis techniques. You may also go into a lot of depth in the manufacturing of medicines and how certain forces, techniques, and compounds can effect the efficiency, stability, and durability of your product.

Pharmacological Sciences: Sorry, can't help you on that one.
Reply 2
thank u very much! thats really cleared things up!:biggrin:
Reply 3
You're very welcome - Glad i could help.

You hoping to apply for one of these through clearing or in the near future?
Reply 4
hey! wish somebody could clear my head here..
i have been wondering whether is it possible for a graduate with a pharmacy degree to do the work of a pharmacologist?

i understand that a phamacologist focuses more on drug developement (research based) While i always have the interest in research (but i also like the idea of pharmacist being able to help people!), so i was wondering if i get a degree in pharmacy, can i go for research too? is it considered as the industrial pharmacy sector? are those work same as a pharmacologist?

how easy is there to get a job? are there any example?

sorry if i m asking too many questions.. just feel that pharmacy is very fascinating!! :smile:
Yes it is the best health profession if you ask me but anyway:p:

you can do pharmacy and go into industry (where you would do research). It's very easy to get jobs where you help people (industry and hospital) but can be slightly harder to get a job in industry but you just have to sell yourself.

Are you planning on coming over to the uk?
Reply 6
yeah i am!! i will be entering Nottingham, though i will be doing my first 2 years in the Malaysia campus before transferring to UK for my 3rd and 4th year :smile:

and thanks for answering my ques :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending