The Student Room Group

Salford/MMU for CS? [clearing]

Well its that time... i got my results and with a huge "hen up" i will most probs be going into clearing. My ucas point stand at 280 (salford say on website 240).

Any way long story short, im wanting to get into a uni around manchester for computer science, but Manchester Uni has more or less declined me now (waiting on final word but not hopeful). I was just wondering if Salford or MMU are adequate uni's for computer science. I was predicted AAB, but ended up only getting BC (A2) + aee (AS) *seriously.. a 'hen up'*

Im kinda looking at mid range uni's now due to my grades, and also as the main requirement for the course (top unis) is maths which i had only done 5/6 modules (avg as an A over 5 modules, or C over all 6 but not certificate as i didnt do all 6 units *blast*)

Looked on salford's website, seems to quite a bit of web development. Any one know if they still teach a fair amount of "pure" computer science material (vis versa with MMU)

Any information and previous/current student input welcomed.
I am researching more in parallel to this, hope not to be seen as lazy, im just collecting data from multiple sources :smile:
If you were predicted decent grades and think there was a genuine reason, why not take a year out and resit?
Reply 2
trance addict
If you were predicted decent grades and think there was a genuine reason, why not take a year out and resit?

That is an option but that would mean 4th year at college, and me feeling a little behind (compared to my age) as i would be 3years behind every one else.

Maths i could resit and get an A in it, which would give me ABC, but increasing my ICT from a C seems to be an on going nightmare which is a huge uphill struggle (i have no problems at all with ICT, i worked for 6months in the IT dept at my college, and taught most of my teachers things.. the A level just is a pain in the rear end). My B grade is 6/7 ums off of an A for computing.. which i could of resat this year at college, if it wasnt for the fact of them stopping the course completely the other year (i was the last student to pass)

I have also been suggested by a tutor, i could also do a year at a bog standard uni, then transfer to the one i want to goto. any one have experiance with this? the first years between a few uni's seem a little dif

I am also using the whole statement of undergrad dont need to worry too much about their uni, as long as they get a good degree (uni rep comes in at post grad), i am using this to re-assure myself
"I have also been suggested by a tutor, i could also do a year at a bog standard uni, then transfer to the one i want to goto. any one have experiance with this? the first years between a few uni's seem a little dif"

A foundation year?
Reply 4
trance addict
"I have also been suggested by a tutor, i could also do a year at a bog standard uni, then transfer to the one i want to goto. any one have experiance with this? the first years between a few uni's seem a little dif"

A foundation year?

the tutor was basically talking about doing the first year in any uni, then apply to transfer into yr2 of other uni... it just doesnt seem plausible with some differences between first years etc

*edit, for sake of no double post*

Just checking out MMU's list of modules (seems to be a miss-cross between computer science and computing on their site), they sound quite good (no web dev, which i'd regard as more IT really)

Still would like any one's views on these two uni's, both sound good. But reading from the units MMU sounds better. But this can obviously be countered by better teaching else where etc. Its late now, so i shall go sleep and ring around in the morning to follow up a few queries any way. Hope i can find out a bit more about these two uni's =)

Latest

Trending

Trending