The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Studying History by Jeremy Black is the standard recommended one. Tbh the only way to learn about writing university level essays is to write them. The first year does tend to be a learning curve and in your second and third years you'll begin to develop your own style.
Reply 2
What uni are you going to?

Your uni should give you material about how to write essays. That should be enough I think. Unless you're really stuck, I wouldn't bother with a skills book. A BA in History isn't like A-levels - you can't jump through hoops in the same way.
Reply 3
Wez
What uni are you going to?

Your uni should give you material about how to write essays. That should be enough I think. Unless you're really stuck, I wouldn't bother with a skills book. A BA in History isn't like A-levels - you can't jump through hoops in the same way.

University of Leicester
Reply 4
QI Elf
I'm starting a BA History degree this year and want to know if there are any good books that people would reccommend about how to write good university standard essays, historical skills etc.

Many thanks.

You get to sit through a whole module on this in your first year (it's thrilling)
Reply 5
I wouldn't bother with purchasing a book. You should find that your style develops with practice over your first year, and if you struggle with essays at first and achieve marks lower than you had hoped for than you have the opportunity to learn from your mistakes.
Reply 6
Tomber
You get to sit through a whole module on this in your first year (it's thrilling)

You've just reminded me that I have to sit through it on my MA too :woo: :no:

Latest

Trending

Trending