The Student Room Group

Remark - OPINIONS

Right, I got my results yesterday and there's a discrepancy in the marking that I'm considering having remarked.

I got AAU in my units for English Lit. The unit I got the U in was the one I was certain was my strongest. I knew the texts back to front and inside out, I could quote them easily and I hadn't had any problems writing essays on them in class.

Is it worth getting it remarked? I would need to gain 29 points to go from a B grade overall to an A, but English seems to me to be the sort of subject where the essay is either marked perfectly or REALLY badly, since it's so subjective.

I don't need to change of grade for uni, but the U looks really bad on my Cambridge application if I decide to make one. Also, it just doesn't make logical sense that I could get a U on what shoud have been my strongest unit, and get an A on the one I did very little work for.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No harm in trying..if you say you knew it inside out, i can't see why you would get As on those 2 and Us on the others. Id suggest you buy a copy of your paper back, see if you think its not U standard, if it isn't get a remark.
I don't see why not, as long as you are prepared to lose even more marks but I guess it would still be a U. Is there no way that you can get a photocopy of the script and get your tutor/teacher to look over it before you get it remarked? I don't know if that will be fast enough though cos I'm pretty sure that there is a time limit to ask for a remark. But you might as well, yes it's £40... but if you really feel like you didn't deserve a U, which it doesn't sound like you did, then go for it. The thing with English is that it depends so much upon who marks the paper, I've seen someone go from a U to an A. Good luck with it :smile:
Reply 3
If you're sure you did better then a U, (which is very likely :p:) then get it remarked. A friend of mine is in a similar situation for Eng Lit, AAAAAU, still got an A overall but the U was unexpected and quite a surprise. I'd say get it remarked, non-priority.
Reply 4
Joanna May
Right, I got my results yesterday and there's a discrepancy in the marking that I'm considering having remarked.

I got AAU in my units for English Lit. The unit I got the U in was the one I was certain was my strongest. I knew the texts back to front and inside out, I could quote them easily and I hadn't had any problems writing essays on them in class.

Is it worth getting it remarked? I would need to gain 29 points to go from a B grade overall to an A, but English seems to me to be the sort of subject where the essay is either marked perfectly or REALLY badly, since it's so subjective.

I don't need to change of grade for uni, but the U looks really bad on my Cambridge application if I decide to make one. Also, it just doesn't make logical sense that I could get a U on what shoud have been my strongest unit, and get an A on the one I did very little work for.

Ditto, i got AAU in AQA A English lit. Module 6 - world war literature. I've started up a thread somewhere if it's that exam. Dodgey marking in my opinion. Definately get it remarked, it's only £20 or whatever and you'll regret it if you don't get it remarked (it's free if you go up a grade anyway).

Oh, you're AS level? Get it remarked anyway, english examiners suck! No joke, this is twice they've given me a U now! What a bunch of jokers (my other grade was remarked up to an A!!!). If only i knew where that examiner lived......there would be trouble fo sho!
Reply 5
I would certainly get it remarked, it wouldn't surprise me if an error was made in the marking of that unit for it to be deemed worthy of a U.
Reply 6
I'm in a similar situation, and I'm getting it my module remarked. I suggest you do to. It would be clear to anyone that two As and a U is a pretty big mistake.
Reply 7
Thanks. It's not a priority remark, I'm on a gap year at the moment. I dont think I can get the paper back in time to apply for a remark afterwards, so I guess I'll just have to take my chance. At least the situation can't get much worse!

How do I go about getting a remark? Through my school?
Reply 8
Joanna May
Thanks. It's not a priority remark, I'm on a gap year at the moment. I dont think I can get the paper back in time to apply for a remark afterwards, so I guess I'll just have to take my chance. At least the situation can't get much worse!

How do I go about getting a remark? Through my school?

Yeah, at least at my school we inform the examination's officer.
yep your school's examination office should have forms that you fill out and they should be able to let you know what goes on next, but I think they fax it through and do all the communication.
Reply 10
Yes, definitely get a re-mark. AQA are known for very dodgy marking in English Lit.
Joanna May

i got exactly the same grade as you last year and was extremely shocked because i was predicted an overall A in English Lit and worked soo hard for it, i opted for a remark and turns out that i did do badly and my marks went down grrrr:mad:

i think theres a time limit on resits but if you are really sure you did good, take a gamble, you may be more luckier than me
Reply 12
Joe555
Ditto, i got AAU in AQA A English lit. Module 6 - world war literature. I've started up a thread somewhere if it's that exam. Dodgey marking in my opinion. Definately get it remarked, it's only £20 or whatever and you'll regret it if you don't get it remarked (it's free if you go up a grade anyway).

Oh, you're AS level? Get it remarked anyway, english examiners suck! No joke, this is twice they've given me a U now! What a bunch of jokers (my other grade was remarked up to an A!!!). If only i knew where that examiner lived......there would be trouble fo sho!

No, I'm A2. Why do you think I'm AS? :confused:

And the war literature module I got an A on, it was the Hamlet and Wordsworth that I got the U on. I knew the Hamlet so well and the Wordsworth too, so I don't know why I got such a low mark!
Joanna May

wow! same ere!! exactly same happened to me, but for business S, i got 2 very high A'z in unit 1 and unit 3 and in unit 2 some how out of 90 only got like 31, this is definately incorrect in my opinion, im getting it re marked as well, but you can only get it re marked from first week of september :smile:, did you do AQA??
Reply 14
Joanna May
No, I'm A2. Why do you think I'm AS? :confused:

And the war literature module I got an A on, it was the Hamlet and Wordsworth that I got the U on. I knew the Hamlet so well and the Wordsworth too, so I don't know why I got such a low mark!

Sorry my bad, i dunno, it was the way you said you were thinking of applying to cambridge next year? I guess you're on a gap year or something perhaps. I got full marks on the hamlet/lyrical ballads paper! Weird, i hate english lit results as you never know what they're going to be, plus, the markers seem to be REALLY bad!
Reply 15
just wondering are AQA known to **** up marking all round? cos it may have happened to me in economics :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Just wondering does anyone know what the time limit for getting a remark, I'm on the WJEC board by the way. I'm in a similar situation with my history AS. I got D A A in my modules and the first one was the one I was most confident about and got an A in during my mocks.
I think a remark is worth it. I got a D in one of my History papers and it was the one I thought went pretty well. Everyone in my school who took that unit was ****ed over by OCR (no-one got higher than a C) so I sent it off for a priority remark yesterday.

Remarks can take up to 20 days apparently, but I'm hoping I won't have to wait as long. But I'm not sure for WJEC.
A similar thing happened to a lot of people in our school last year for the modern novel paper; they got As in the other modules but anything from a U to a D for the modern novel. Some of them got the papers remarked but the marks didn't change. In the end they retook and got As. So if the remark doesn't help then I would suggest just retaking the paper. It's weird, it seems like in English you either get full marks or no marks at all :s-smilie:
Reply 19
FINALLY! Im in the same situation, all As and Bs throughout the course and then a very low U in module 6. BIG shock and unexpected becuase I thought that I was pretty confident about it. The only thing is......... that one module has cost me my whole university place at my first choice which I desperatly had my heart set on. Mine is being remarked priority, but im gutted .... end of.

Latest