The Student Room Group

Big Life Decision... (medicine and grades and experience)

Hey there,

Sorry if this topic has come up before but its a complete nightmare to try and navigate through the forum and its seemingly millions of threads!

Anyway,
I got BCCD in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and further maths (GCSEs were A*,4A, 6B, C in latin), I've got a bit of medical work experience (2 weeks at surgery, week at nursing home, 2 months in foreign medical research hospital, 4 months foreign hospital) but I don't know if its enough to bother to try and fight for a place at Uni... I do have a PS thats completely crammed with all my extra curricular activities (playing 3 different instruments, fund raising events I've organised, numerous school activities I've been involved in, being part of school council for 5 years) and my background story.

Should I try to directly apply for medicine, or go another route and then apply for medicine after I get a degree??

I really need a good perspective on this, and not doing medicine is not really an option as you can probably already tell! I don't care how I get into medicine, so long as I get into medicine, but preferably within 12 years please!

And if you feel like I've missed something out I need to tell you, please ask!

Joey

[Edit] if the moderators feel this is in the wrong place, I don't mind it being moved so long as it gets read and answered!
Are you likely to be predicted AAA/AAB by your teachers?
Reply 2
nope, those are the grades I've got to do with.. Thats the BIG problem
Reply 3
Your extra curricular activities mean jack ****. You're simply not good enough for medicine. Not doing medicine is an option, and it's one you should consider.
Most people will probably advise you against med then. But Id wait and see what you get predicted, different schools have diffent policies. Although I know one person who got your grades managed to get themselves predicted AAB. Have you researched the 6 yr foundation course route? (Im sorry as thats not something Ive looked into, I know jack about it)
unless u can convince ur teachers to predict you the minimum grade requirements for the uni's u intend to go to, I wouldnt' bother applying.

They'll take one look at ur grades and reject you, without even reading through the rest of ur application. Its not as if they have a shortage of people that will make/exceed the minimum grade requirements.
Reply 6
You could wait until you get your A2 grades to apply. Take a gap year after A2s. Work your ass off in year 13 to get the best grades you can possibly get, retake if necessary.
Reply 7
Have you asked your teachers what grades they are going to put as your predicted grades? They can be higher than what you actually got in AS i know mine were.
If you aren't going to be predicted AAB or above, is there any other subject you would want to do at university, and then try for post-graduate medicine?
Or you could work really hard for your A2s, get the grades and apply then.
Reply 8
TBH your chance of getting into undergrad medicine are practically zero unless:
*You have serious mit cercs.
*You qualify for St George's Access programme (inner city school, no parental history etc)

Your only other option might be to try and get onto a foundation course but they seem to prefer students with AAA in non-scientific subjects to students with B/C's in sciences.

However do not despair, You have a number of options. You can resit your A levels and have another bash this year (might be worth it if you think you can seriously change your grades) Or you can go to uni and do a biology/medically related degree and apply as a postgrad. If you go down this route then I would maybe consider doing a vocational course as it will give you lots of good contacts and will give you a job at the end of it, even if you dont decide to go onto medicine.

Above all don't give up. I had a friend who wanted to do medicine who got BCD at first sitting A level, retook and got BCC. Went to Uni in clearing to do Orthoptics. Applied for medicine in her 3rd year, got rejected again, Got a first then applied again and worked for a year and is now off to Birmingham to do the 4 year grad course. If you really really want it then you can try and make it happen.

Good Luck
to be honest; you cannot get into medicine with those grades. your gcse's are not outstanding enough and neither is your AS level results. Also most medical applicants will have more work experience than those that u have listed above.

I would strongly suggest that you get a grip and pull your finger out and get those grades that u need (AAB in chem bio and maths respectively) or do another degree that is related to medicine; e.g. subjects in the bio chem department; and reapply to medicine after u graduate that (u'll need a 1st or 2:1 to apply to medi).

dont give up! if u truly want to do it; you can! just set your goal and keep working at it. good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending