The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Eden01
I'm doinnggg Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics as my A levels. And I'll be doing the AEA for Bio too. :smile:

Plus General Studies.
Bloody hell woman, are you a work addict by any chance? :p: I just think it'd maybe be better for you to drop another, as it will make next year so much easier, and it'd cut the risk of you sacrificing the A grades for the number of A2s you're doing- at A2, AAA is so much better than ABBB in my honest opinion.

EDIT: Just saw your post above - that sucks! Can you not wriggle your way out of General Studies by grinning sweetly at your lecturers?
EDIT 2: Hang on, is General Studies counted as one of your four that you have to take? Never mind, you answered :p:
What kind of school do you GO to?
Reply 21
scaryhair
Plus General Studies.
Bloody hell woman, are you a work addict by any chance? :p: I just think it'd maybe be better for you to drop another, as it will make next year so much easier, and it'd cut the risk of you sacrificing the A grades for the number of A2s you're doing- at A2, AAA is so much better than ABBB in my honest opinion.

EDIT: Just saw your post above - that sucks! Can you not wriggle your way out of General Studies by grinning sweetly at your lecturers?

Haha. Yeah, I know what you mean. But we haveeee to do 4 at our college :/ Plus GS :P
But I've dropped the hardest I had - Physics! So I think I can manage with the rest at A level... I was just so unlucky to be 5/less marks off for 3 subjects for an A!

EDIT to Scaryhair - Well, seeing as it's only 1 lesson per week.. I guess I can't complain to them eh. But yeah, I think I handle my A levels, was just worried about my AS grades I guess.
im not surprised the results are lower than you expecting, seeing as you did wayyy too many AS levels imo

but doomed for what exactly
Omg... 6 A levels :O
Eden01
I would that gladly! But at my college we have to do 4 subjects. General Studies is a compulsory one.

tell your headmaster that it doesn't help your application in anyway and it's just unnecessarily adding useless bulk to your workload. don't you have the right to choose what you want to study? also isn't the GS only compulsory for AS not A2?
General studies doesn't have to take up any of your time (unless they force you to attend the lessons as well?).
Isometrix
tell your headmaster that it doesn't help your application in anyway and it's just unnecessarily adding useless bulk to your workload. don't you have the right to choose what you want to study?

A boy at my school got an offer from imperial college for medicine and they accepted general studies as one of his A's!
Reply 27
General Studies is only a lesson per week and theres no homework really. So its just a matter of going in there, sitting the paper. Not too worried about that... :/

Well, nvm, worst come worst, I'll have a gap year :smile: But I know I can get my As at the end of the A levels, I just have to work extra hard for January with my resits and things.
callum9999
A boy at my school got an offer from imperial college for medicine and they accepted general studies as one of his A's!

Ughhh, when was this exactly?
Considering it says on their website that "General Studies will not be accepted at any level" I doubt that's true...
Reply 29
scaryhair
What kind of school do you GO to?

A crazy sixth form :p:
If you were only a few marks out, then I'd say just leave them. You can easily make up a few marks on your A2 modules (much better concentrating on them, than trying to gain a few marks by resitting some AS modules IMO).
Eden01
A crazy sixth form :p:

Very crazy indeed. I think all I can do is to wish you luck. I would seriously consider talking to your headmaster about dropping GS though. It may not take up much of your time, but what little it does is such a waste.
scaryhair
Ughhh, when was this exactly?
Considering it says on their website that "General Studies will not be accepted at any level" I doubt that's true...

I'm pretty certain it is true and as its an exception its not going to be on the website (it wasn't in his offer, he called up after missing the grades and they accepted it). I'm guessing they were seriously impressed by his PS and interview so just made this exception for him. The trouble now is the head of sixth form is using it as justification to forcing me to sit general studies...
callum9999
I'm pretty certain it is true and as its an exception its not going to be on the website (it wasn't in his offer, he called up after missing the grades and they accepted it). I'm guessing they were seriously impressed by his PS and interview so just made this exception for him. The trouble now is the head of sixth form is using it as justification to forcing me to sit general studies...

Well, it sounds like he was extremely lucky! Just tell your head that you're less likely to miss an offer if you don't have to waste your time with stupid things like GS....:p:
scaryhair
Well, it sounds like he was extremely lucky! Just tell your head that you're less likely to miss an offer if you don't have to waste your time with stupid things like GS....:p:

I've asked him about 15 times already this year!

Due to a timetable conflict I had no GS lessons last year and didn't do a single bit of revision because of its pointlessness but got a high B (again not really taking the exam seriously), whereas most people who did go to lessons got D's. Hopefully I can use that as leverage.

Latest

Trending

Trending