The Student Room Group

Changed course offer, what does this mean?

Ok I didn't get the results I was hoping for and got 'unsucessful' from my insurance but my first choice says 'changed course'.
I needed BBB to get in, instead I got a measly BCD.
Then today I get a letter from UCAS saying

'The university of college where you are holding a conditional firm or conditional insurance offer asked us to tell you that they will give you a place but they have made IMPORTANT CHANGES to your original offer.
Your offer is now for a changed course, changed entry date or changed entry point'

So I log into Track and I see that I can reply by 'firm' or 'decline' to the offer.

But I dont understand what 'changed course' means though, I can't see any details of what the course has changed to though.
So I can't accept until I know what im accepting?

Im really confused.
I found the FAQ on UCAS to see what 'changed course' means, but I still don't understand it.

help please. :confused:
Call the university to find out. You have been rejected but they have a course with space which they are offering you a place on. If you don't like it, decline it.
phone the uni?
Reply 3
Course code may have changed on Track?
Reply 4
Has the course code now shown on track now different to your original choice? Mine was, although the uni had emailed me first to let me know of the change.
Reply 5
Will do, I can't see where to find the admissions tutor phone number though.
course code may of changed, possibly even campus code.
mikesmith165
Will do, I can't see where to find the admissions tutor phone number though.

surely you have a letter from your uni originally giving you your offer which will have a number on.

or just ring the universitys main switchboard, and ask them to put you through
Reply 8
Matureb
Has the course code now shown on track now different to your original choice? Mine was, although the uni had emailed me first to let me know of the change.

Yeh the course code has changed it was PP35 on my original UCAS letter, it has since changed to P500.
I wouldn't have found out if they emailed me though as I used my college email which i havent accessed since may.
What does this mean though?
How could they still offer me a place if I failed the entry requirements so badly?
Reply 9
the same happened to me...
my grades were poop BCCEE argh...
and i had a conditional from my firm choice but they changed it to 'changed course' you can click on the code next to the offer and it will tell u the course it has changed to... they changed mine to interior design...in a way im happy! as first year for both courses at my uni is the same and can have a chance to be transferred to Architecture in the second year..
hope all the best for you
:smile:
Reply 10
It happened to me too. I applied for French and Spanish and needed ABB, I got ABCC and they put me on a single honours French course instead after looking at my application again and deciding they still wanted me. I was really confused by it. if you click on the course code (in red) on the choices page it will tell you what the new course is.
Reply 11
marzie01
the same happened to me...
my grades were poop BCCEE argh...
and i had a conditional from my firm choice but they changed it to 'changed course' you can click on the code next to the offer and it will tell u the course it has changed to... they changed mine to interior design...in a way im happy! as first year for both courses at my uni is the same and can have a chance to be transferred to Architecture in the second year..
hope all the best for you
:smile:

Thats what I don't get, I get told 'Changed course', the code changes, and I click on the code in track (and search the code on UCAS) and it is exactly the same as what I originally applied for.
and still says for conditions:
'Obtain grades BBB at A-Level excluding General Studies'

Which I havent got, so I don't understand what about the course has changed, and if nothing has changed why I would still be accepted with BCD?
You've been accepted on an alternative course which had places remaining whereas your previous course was full.
Reply 13
What was the course you applied for? Chances are it means they've offered you a place on a slightly less competitive course. But actually something like 1/3 of people who get into their firm miss the grades :eek:
Reply 14
mikesmith165
Thats what I don't get, I get told 'Changed course', the code changes, and I click on the code in track (and search the code on UCAS) and it is exactly the same as what I originally applied for.
and still says for conditions:
'Obtain grades BBB at A-Level excluding General Studies'

Which I havent got, so I don't understand what about the course has changed, and if nothing has changed why I would still be accepted with BCD?

that's weird...if i was you call UCAS they will let you know whats going on i did the same to double check.
Reply 15
Bekaboo
What was the course you applied for? Chances are it means they've offered you a place on a slightly less competitive course. But actually something like 1/3 of people who get into their firm miss the grades :eek:

The course I applied for was:
PP35 - Journalism at Westminster to go in 2009
conditions: get BBB

The changed course appears to be:
P500 - Journalism at Westminster to go in 2009
conditions: get BBB

??!
they appear to be exactly the same despite the code change, and PP35 doesn't exist for 2009.

I mean to get offered a place I did have to get selected and then go through to an interview which I had to pass to be offered a place. Thing that (appears to have) let me down is results :frown:
Reply 16
Well sounds like they've just accepted you then. My ex got accepted for Marine Biology at Bangor with about 4 grades below the offer because he'd done lots of extra curricular type stuff and uh I wrote his personal statement :wink: If you had an interview then they've actually picked you and chances are they just liked you enough to let the grades go :biggrin:
Reply 17
Btw I just want to say thank you all so much for your VERY quick and helpful replies.
Im deffinately going to ring them tomorrow and see whats going down.
If anyone else has had 'changed course' offers it would be nice to hear what your situation is.
Reply 18
Ok I just rang up and the guy said that despite my grades they will still offer me a place.
So I have got into Westminster to do Journalism :smile:
however the conditions were that I get BBB, i instead got...BCD and they still offered me a place, yet my friend at a different Uni didnt get in with ABB when he needed AAB...it's crazy!
I mean like I said to get to the point of applying I had to go through a selection process and then I had to go to interview which they would then decide if they wanted to offer you a place or not...so maybe they liked me?
Reply 19
Just be happy! Don't question it :tongue:

I only did two A Levels and got in for a competitive course. I just kept quiet and smiled :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending