The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, it is a student town. There's plenty of clubs and pubs, so the nightlife is good.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
cool! wonder y ppl hv told me otherwise!
Reply 3
Nah reading has got decent shopping, and some pretty decent pubs / clubs / restaurants etc... (i live nearby) It's not amazingly student orientated but there's loads to do!
No, it sucks.

Don't come here, or you'll regret it for the rest of your life. Well, 3 years of it anyway.
Reply 5
Dero
No, it sucks.

Don't come here, or you'll regret it for the rest of your life. Well, 3 years of it anyway.

Why do you have such a grudge against what is actually a perfectly decent university?
I can't stand it. The lecturers suck, the course sucks, the town sucks, there is no-one remotely interesting around here, the music scene is a joke and the student union is an even bigger one.

What a waste of money and space :mad:
I have to go half and half here, I went on a "visit day/interview" thingy on wednesday, and the town is a little weird :s-smilie: some fun stuff to do, but no more than any average town - and quite a lot less than most student areas, could have something to do with the fact there are only 5000 students - very small for a UK uni.
I also was not very impressed with the on-campus side of things, the residences (that I saw) looked scruffy, and the SU Building, altho apparently recently renovated wasnt THAT impressive.

This all may have something to do with getting up at 4am to get there though ^_^
Reply 8
Dero
I can't stand it. The lecturers suck, the course sucks, the town sucks, there is no-one remotely interesting around here, the music scene is a joke and the student union is an even bigger one.

leave then
:rolleyes:
Heh, and be in £16k debt? No way. My tuition fees are over 8 grand a year... :mad:

And you wonder why I'm sore about it.
Reply 10
hmm well i might have to go and take a look around a bit more then! hard choice of whether i should go there or not! thanks for your opnions!
Reply 11
Dero

Despite the fact the great majority of students at Reading would disagree with you?

I was really upset when I found out at the end of last term that I'd have to leave, because of the Music Department being closed down (which by the way is an absolute tragedy, because it was a great department - great lecturers, great course and a great atmosphere). I was very happy at Reading. (I'm happy here at Royal Holloway, which was where I and the other Part 1 students were transferred, and am settling in very well. But that's beside the point, isn't it!)
Reply 12
Savage Noodles
I also was not very impressed with the on-campus side of things, the residences (that I saw) looked scruffy, and the SU Building, altho apparently recently renovated wasnt THAT impressive.

You should have seen Wantage Hall, then (which is slightly off-campus) - that looks lovely. Great architecture! (In the main bit, at any rate, ie. Old Court).
Indeed, they spent 6 million on the SU, and it still looks like a dump. What a waste of money.
Reply 14
Just to throw in my tuppence, I like the course, like the university and the people and am generally quite happy that I chose to come to Reading. I'm not crazy about the union, but mainly because it's a bit too busy and messy on certain nights. I have had some really great nights out there though.
That made me grin whoever neg repped me.

I'm merely voicing my opinions on the place, if it offends you, then you can p*ss off because ireallydontcare(.com).
Dero
That made me grin whoever neg repped me.

I'm merely voicing my opinions on the place, if it offends you, then you can p*ss off because ireallydontcare(.com).

I've got friends in Reading, and I think the nightlife is great! It's a fairly big town, plenty to do, I don't really see what you've got against it :confused: Maybe because reading tends to cater for the mainstream tastes, whereas you seem a little more 'alternative'?
They have some good real ale pubs too ( where I tend to hang out ).

I hail from the Isle of Man... we do things a bit.. differently over there.
Dero
They have some good real ale pubs too ( where I tend to hang out ).

I hail from the Isle of Man... we do things a bit.. differently over there.

Probably explains why you don't like it then!
Reply 19
When I went to the open day on Tuesday we were not allowed to view the accomodation as "...during the holidays the rooms are rented out to company executives like Coca Cola and they don't like people looking through their rooms...."

So can some dish the dirt, what is the accomdation really like, what is wrong with it?

Latest

Trending

Trending