The Student Room Group

Broken horn - how much?

Can anyone give me an idea of how much it will cost to fix the horn on my peugeot 106? It hasn't been working for a while but today when some idiot who hadn't checked his blind spot nearly rammed me off the motorway I realised just how important it can be... problem is I have no money whatsoever and know nothing about cars myself :frown::frown:
Reply 1
It could be anything, Do you have a friend that knows about cars to have a look?
I do believe it's an mot failure so it will need fixing for that anyway.

In the meantime though, Checked the fuse?
Reply 2
replace it with a dixie horn :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnXeZBLa-t0 if you don't know what one is
Reply 3
Mattgeezer
It could be anything, Do you have a friend that knows about cars to have a look?
I do believe it's an mot failure so it will need fixing for that anyway.

In the meantime though, Checked the fuse?

I was going out with a mechanic until 4 days ago... rubbish :rolleyes:

Uhh no I will get on to checking the fuse!
Reply 4
random321
replace it with a dixie horn :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnXeZBLa-t0 if you don't know what one is

Haha love it! :biggrin:
Its probably a bad earth connection. If you can get to the horn, take the wire connector off it and see if its connections are corroded (green).
Reply 6
4 options:

Switch
Wiring
Fuse
Horn unit

Pick one and start testing.
Reply 7
magicbean
I was going out with a mechanic until 4 days ago... rubbish :rolleyes:
Oh no, that's really unfortunate timing :hugs:

Having some rudimentary skill with car electrics will ALWAYS come in handy, if you plan to drive for the rest of your life. So I respectfully suggest that you have a go at fixing what is probably the simplest electrical component of your car - it's bound to get you out of a sticky situation later on. And, best of all, it'll probably be totally free! (Or it might cost you the price of a fuse or wiring connector - that'll be all of a few pence.)

Follow JC.'s advice - the switch might be broken, the horn might be broken, the wiring might be broken or the fuse might have gone.

Start with the simplest situation: the fuse has gone. Locate the fusebox (the manual will tell you where it is) and take the cover off (you might need a coin to turn a plastic screw that holds it on). On the inside of the cover, locate the symbol for the horn - it'll show you which fuse it is. Pull the fuse out with the little fuse-puller thing that should be attached to the inside of the cover - if there isn't one, yank it out with pliers. You'll be able to look through the fuse plastic and see if the little link between the terminals is intact. If it's not, then your fuse has gone! If it has, replace it with one of the same colour and the same number on the back - Halfords will do that for you.

Then come back here and give us a progress report :smile:
Reply 8
I'm having a similar problem, but my horns sometimes but not all of the time. I can't even find the horn under the bonnet, so i can't get to it. The fuse can't have blown for me because it does work just not all of the time.
if it is intermittent then it could be the switch being dirty, a broken wire that just works on/off or corrosion on the horn terminals.

a new horn is only about £10 so long as you aren't fussed about an OEM unit.

I'd start at the horn as it is easiest to find and clean
As others have said, if you have half an hour, this is relatively trivial to troubleshoot. Dive in yourself, you can't make it any worse!

Quick Reply

Latest