The Student Room Group

AS OCR Biology planning exercise - HELP!!!

Hi, I'm retaking the AS OCR biology transport/practical module in Jan. i've just been given the planning exercise today and i am totally confused! Last year's planning exercise i found ok, but this time i'm really stuck
Anyone else having to do this at the mo? Would appreciate it if any ppl doing biology who find this kinda thing easy could reply or PM me with anything useful that might help me answer this! (Really desperate - plz help me ppl!) :redface:

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing the same thing (transport retake) if i figure it out i will let you know, it's harder than last year though for sure :frown:
So far i have just done the introduction, writing about inhibitors (competitive and non-competitive) x
Reply 3
do you know when your deadline is coz i havnt been told yet :confused:
Reply 4
The deadline will be the day of the practical, although most schools like it in beforehand.
Reply 5
LS. are you doing this planning exercise too?
Reply 6
Nope, but I people in my bio group were planning it today, they seemed ti be awfully confused over it... I can't really see any points that would cause problems though...
Reply 7
LS.
Nope, but I people in my bio group were planning it today, they seemed ti be awfully confused over it... I can't really see any points that would cause problems though...

u seem quite confident about it...any hints/tips you could share (or PM)? plz?! :tongue: :redface: ...or anyone for that matter!
Reply 8
:sigh: Things are so much easier when you *ask* for what you want instead of asking for non-specific things. Do you want help on the format/theory/practical component?
As far as i know the deadline is january 14th :eek:
Reply 10
LS.
:sigh: Things are so much easier when you *ask* for what you want instead of asking for non-specific things. Do you want help on the format/theory/practical component?

want help on the method and expected results (prediction) - (i have a rough idea but it has to be detailed and i'm stuck with measurements etc) :confused: :frown: PM me please! :redface: (increasingly desperate as just found out the deadline 4 me is 4th Jan!) :afraid:
Reply 11
yay! i've just figured it out! it's not really that bad! :idea: :bootyshak :biggrin:
Reply 12
FINISHED IT! :aetsch: :bootyshak
Maria D

:eek: :confused: ohhhh damn i don't know where to start, the one last year was so much easier and i have a chem one to do as well ..
Reply 14
Hi Maria

I am doing the same coursework and was wondering if you have any information on it so far.If you do could you please help me. My email address is [email protected]

Thank you very much

Amarpreet

Maria D
Hi, I'm retaking the AS OCR biology transport/practical module in Jan. i've just been given the planning exercise today and i am totally confused! Last year's planning exercise i found ok, but this time i'm really stuck :frown:

The question is:
The enzyme urease catalyses the hydrolysis of urea to form carbon dioxide and ammonia.
The progress of the reaction may be followed by observing an increase in pH as ammonia is formed.
Thiourea is an inhibitor of urease.
Plan an investigation to measure the inhibitory effect of thiourea on the activity of urease at different concentrations of urea, based on the assumption that you have:
0.1% urease solution
solutions of 1% urea and 1% thiourea
Universal indicator
In your plan include apparatus and materials used, method including how to make it fair, results table with expected results and safety precautions.

Anyone else having to do this at the mo? Would appreciate it if any ppl doing biology who find this kinda thing easy could reply or PM me with anything useful that might help me answer this! (Really desperate - plz help me ppl!) :redface:
Reply 15
Hi i was wondering if you could help me with sites and what type of information is needed.I've only got little bits and bobs done. I'm just curious at how yo have tackled this assignment because i'm at the stage that you were about a week ago.please help me!

Maria D
Reply 16
Have you got any further with your planning assignment?I don't know what to do yet!i've got the hazards sorted and thats about it!I don't even think that I've got enough for my intro..got any useful sites?

Amarpreet

lil_crazyflakes
:eek: :confused: ohhhh damn i don't know where to start, the one last year was so much easier and i have a chem one to do as well ..
Reply 17
Need to do this practical aswell and dont have a clue what im doing. have to hand it in on the 4th and havent even started

does anyone know any good websites or just what i need to include...the method, intro etc any help would be great :smile: :idea:
Reply 18
so far the only thing i have to include is hazards and thats in the intro.i used the followin 2 sites...
for the hazards of ammonia
http://www.ufcw.org/workplace_connections/manufacturing/safety_health_news_and_facts/ammonia_hazards.cfm

and for the hazards of urea
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cache:73Vao4yx8a0J:www.ammoniapro.com/Ammonia%2520Library/MSDS/UREA%2520MSDS%2520-%2520CF.pdf+hazards+of+urea&hl=en

im totally stuck too...

SIM995
Need to do this practical aswell and dont have a clue what im doing. have to hand it in on the 4th and havent even started

does anyone know any good websites or just what i need to include...the method, intro etc any help would be great :smile: :idea:
Reply 19
What is the method to be used and what are the predicted results? :frown: this is stressin me out!

Maria D
want help on the method and expected results (prediction) - (i have a rough idea but it has to be detailed and i'm stuck with measurements etc) :confused: :frown: PM me please! :redface: (increasingly desperate as just found out the deadline 4 me is 4th Jan!) :afraid:

Latest

Trending

Trending