The Student Room Group

English Personal Statement Tips?

I know there's already a thread on personal statements but I thought it would be helpful to have one specifically for tips from people who have already applied/got in to uni. So does anyone have any tips for us 2009 applicants?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't plagiarise.
-Tell them what books you have read/studied and tell them what you thought of them.

-Tell them what aspect of the course you're specifically interested in/strongest in

-Also, tell them what employment you hope to get after your degree
Read through the prospectus of each university you want to apply for - go to the section about their english course and highlight the key points in it - for example, what the course aims to achieve etc.

Then try to include your hope of being able to reach the goals of the course. Also express interest in some of the complusary modules as well as saying you would like to study some more unique modules. Include examples of things you have read that would help you in these areas. Don't just go on and on about everything you've read - make it relevant.
Reply 4
Mention more than one out of drama, prose and poetry.

Have variety in the periods of literature you mention too.

Show you've enjoyed reading critically outside your A level (or equivalent) course.

Don't spend more than 20-30% of your statement on extra-curriculars, despite what your school may tell you. Ones related to English are good, though avoid making overly tenuous links so every single little thing connects with English.

Don't start by saying you've loved books since you were little. It's probably true (definitely the case with me) but it's so cliched.

If there's space to either say something else interesting about a text you've mentioned or bring up another impressive book in less detail, go for the former.

If you don't know what you want to do as a career, it's perfectly alright not to refer to that. English isn't exactly a vocational course...

Southampton's website has a decent page of guidance here - the 'How not to write a personal statement' bit is particularly good. :p:
Reply 5
Hey! This is great idea would have loved some tips before i applied. I would say don't just make your statement one big litany of everything you've read, perhaps just a few examples, maybe spanning different genres. If you may be called for interview make sure you only mention books you definitely know in detail. Talk about the strengths you feel you have in english, don't feel you have to be too modest, but also avoid coming across as arrogant, just be confident.

I find it's also good to mention your other subjects and how they interlink with english. Languages are good, history, but even if your subject choice is quite eclectic it shows that you are skilled in different areas and have a very voracious desire for knowledge; work what you do to your advantage.

Focus also on english related achievements and i find its good to mention creative writing (if you're interested in that). My personal statement was also angled at english but toward the end i did mention other interests/achievements as i think they show you as a rounded, outgoing individual. I was very stressed when writing my statement because i was not sure what career i ultimately wanted but as someone said above, english is not a vocational course adn opens itself up to lots of things so it's okay if you dont know, just write about your aspirations and hwat you believe you will contribute to uni life. I'd say above all be yourself and be confident that you love english and convey that from start to finish.

(hope this helps, just my opinions, sorry if i've waffled on!) :p:
Theme it.
Kater Murr
Theme it.

Do you mean theme the entire PS or discuss certain texts within themes (e.g. Gothicism)?
peanutbutternjelly
Do you mean theme the entire PS or discuss certain texts within themes (e.g. Gothicism)?

Well both/either. I'd go for more than one theme, personally, but every book I mentioned within the PS was within a theme (Russian literature, existentialism), even when I wasn't using that book as an example within that theme (after I'd talked about liking Russian lit., I used Dostoevsky's C+P to talk about existentialism, for example).
Kater Murr
Well both/either. I'd go for more than one theme, personally, but every book I mentioned within the PS was within a theme (Russian literature, existentialism), even when I wasn't using that book as an example within that theme (after I'd talked about liking Russian lit., I used Dostoevsky's C+P to talk about existentialism, for example).

Cool thanks.. I think I'm on the right track then! :smile: I like Russian lit too, by the way. My favourite has to be Dostoevsky's "The Idiot." Absolutely brilliant.
Oh my God, I am in way over my head here, is all of this really what you need to get in to a good Uni? What books would you recommend reading?
FREAKING OUT!!! :frown:
louiseelizabeth91
Oh my God, I am in way over my head here, is all of this really what you need to get in to a good Uni? What books would you recommend reading?
FREAKING OUT!!! :frown:

Books you enjoy might be a good place to start. A bit out there and whacky I know, but hell, you only live once.

The key to a good PS:
Introduction: English
1st Paragraph: English
2nd/3rd/4th etc: English
Conclusion: English

That should provide a nice healthy balance of English lit for your PS.
This is a couple of years ago so i don't know how much help it is now.

But i was applying for a combination of English and philosophy courses so talked about philosophical books i had read as well as straight english books.
I mentioned how I had combined working part time and full time during the summer with my studies and that i was tres organisational because of it.
Also put in how i was using part time money to go on college trips (this was a half lie as the trips never happened but they were going to happen at one point)
And finished with mentioning one of my hobbies (not reading) to show i was a rounded person.
Then put a cliche bit how i wanted to read other people's work in order to better my own.

I got a lower offer than some people on my course and I'm not sure whether it is harder to get into English these days, AAA seems to be the norm now.
But I'd say it's important to show there's more to you than the books you've read.
Reply 13
Don't be the 143rd person that year to say Catcher in the Rye changed their life.
I'd say that you should throw some personality into it. What can you offer in your approach to literature that other applicants can't? Yes, your personal statement should contain information regarding the texts you're most interested in. But explain why this is the case. What is it about these texts that warrants critical attention? Do you think A levels have limited your views of certain texts? Is there other areas of these texts that you'd like to explore but haven't been able to?

Basically, demonstrate that you wish to move beyond the constraints of A level. Show that you have a desire to bring something new to the texts that you read.
Reply 15
How much of the personal statement do you think you should take up talking about books you have read?
menaa-x
How much of the personal statement do you think you should take up talking about books you have read?

Most of it. You really need to show your knowledge of and enthusiasm for literature. My feedback from Leeds reckoned I didn't include enough critical analysis of the books I talked about (:eek3:) and there really wouldn't be enough for anything else once you've done that.
Reply 17
inksplodge
Most of it. You really need to show your knowledge of and enthusiasm for literature. My feedback from Leeds reckoned I didn't include enough critical analysis of the books I talked about (:eek3:) and there really wouldn't be enough for anything else once you've done that.

A critical analysis.:zomg: So you don't just say why you like the book, you actually have to point out the certain points you like and don't like?
menaa-x
A critical analysis.:zomg: So you don't just say why you like the book, you actually have to point out the certain points you like and don't like?

I don't know really :rofl: I just stated an author, some works I liked and why I liked them/what I found most interesting and how it contributed to my interests today... CLEARLY it's not enough for Leeds.

This is some of my feedback, hope it helps anyone applying:

My main observation is that the statement shows too little evidence of critical engagement with the literary material you invoke. You undoubtedly convey a sense of enthusiasm for literature but your remarks about the texts you have read are somewhat limited ...

The best Statements are those which try to demonstrate analytical reflection on the literary texts they cite. Within such a restrictive word limit it is vital that you do not waste words by stating the obvious ...

I understand that you have a very limited space within a Personal Statement to develop ideas, but some significant evidence of advanced analytical engagement would have helped your application to stand out amidst a very competitive field.
Reply 19
menaa-x

Hmm, I think it's more likely to mean you should demonstrate that you have a sense of how the book works when talking about why you like it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending