The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes they do. It goes on the school part of the UCAS reference.
Reply 2
when are the grades predicted by?? basically when will i know my predicted grades??
abu.10
when are the grades predicted by?? basically when will i know my predicted grades??

They are predicted by your school, in time for your application to be submitted. Ideally you need to know the predictions before finally deciding which universities to apply to, because they may have a significant impact on your chances. There is little point applying to Oxford if you are predicted BBB, for instance.
Reply 4
Good bloke
They are predicted by your school, in time for your application to be submitted. Ideally you need to know the predictions before finally deciding which universities to apply to, because they may have a significant impact on your chances. There is little point applying to Oxford if you are predicted BBB, for instance.

they would not predict anything below what AS grade you got would they??
abu.10
they would not predict anything below what AS grade you got would they??

You'd better ask them that. There is no reason why they should not, if that is what they feel is realistic for you. After all, the A2 material is usually harder than the AS material.
Reply 6
Good bloke

for the A2 modules, do we put pending for the results of each module.. eventhoguh we have not done them yet.
TSR King
for the A2 modules, do we put pending for the results of each module.. eventhoguh we have not done them yet.

You put pending because you haven't done them yet.
Reply 8
Good bloke
You put pending because you haven't done them yet.

i will be dropping one of my subjects.. and when i put in my grade for that subject it says 'Date' and it says when we recieve our certificate.. which we recieve in sptember.. so do i put september 2008, rather then august 2008 which is when we recieved our results..

also, do i put pending for my Maths grade, as i got A in AS, but will be doing A2 as well so i dont have a final grade.
Predicted grades tend to be equal to or higher than your AS. Schools frequently predict a leetle higher than realistic for many pupils to give them the best chance at getting an offer.
The date you receive the paper is irrelevant. Put June 2008, which is when you took the exam. The answer to the second question depends on whether it was certificated or not.
Reply 11
Good bloke
The date you receive the paper is irrelevant. Put June 2008, which is when you took the exam. The answer to the second question depends on whether it was certificated or not.

but it says:
Please select the month and year that you certificated, or will certificate, the qualification. If you have not yet taken the examination, or if it has not yet been certificated, insert the date on which you expect to receive the certificate. This may be different from the date you received, or will receive, your results. If you are not sure, please check with your school or college.
TSR King
but it says:
Please select the month and year that you certificated, or will certificate, the qualification. If you have not yet taken the examination, or if it has not yet been certificated, insert the date on which you expect to receive the certificate. This may be different from the date you received, or will receive, your results. If you are not sure, please check with your school or college.

Ah yes! I'd forgotten that, but the date of certification is nothing to do with when you receive the paper certificate - many people have certificated AS levels which they won't receive the paper for until after they have left school.
Reply 13
Certification is when the exam board convert the UMS to a grade - normally its August when you get your results.
As for predicted grades - most school tend not to predict an A2 grade lower than the AS module scores have suggested. If they are predicting more than a grade lower, you need to have a discussion with them. If you just achieved a B, say, with 211 points then it is unlikely they will predict you an A unless there are circumstances suggesting you really can do better. Have your discussion with your teachers as soon as you go back as your predicted grades will go on your UCAS form. Admissions tutors initially use those to identify the applicants they give offers to, so make sure your predicted grades match with the institution you apply to.
Reply 14
Geogger
Certification is when the exam board convert the UMS to a grade - normally its August when you get your results.
As for predicted grades - most school tend not to predict an A2 grade lower than the AS module scores have suggested. If they are predicting more than a grade lower, you need to have a discussion with them. If you just achieved a B, say, with 211 points then it is unlikely they will predict you an A unless there are circumstances suggesting you really can do better. Have your discussion with your teachers as soon as you go back as your predicted grades will go on your UCAS form. Admissions tutors initially use those to identify the applicants they give offers to, so make sure your predicted grades match with the institution you apply to.

how do uni's know what grade you get at AS (for subjects which you take onto A2), if you put pending as your result, since you have to wait till next to get your final grade?
If they are certifcated you will declare them. If not, and if you are proud of them, your referee will mention them. If you are not proud of them and they are not certificated you will presumably leave the university in ignorance and they will read between the lines if they so wish.
Supposing i want to apply for management, at york (ABB) , Sheffield (abb), Leicester (BBB), Bangor (240-280 ucas points), UCLAN (240 points), ( all of which accept general studies)
Do i have a good chance of getting offers
considering i got at AS , A (philosophy), B (Business, studies), B (general studies), C (geography), so ABBC,

and im predicted ABBC as well, although the B and C swap with geography and business, im predicted a C in business and B in geography, although it should be the other way round teachers are not changing it .

Which offers should i get, and which do i have a good chance of getting?
any response would be appreciated, as i have sent off my ucas.
don't see why you wouldn't get all of the offers.... But then again depends on how many applicants, your reference and personal statement aswell..
Your tutor will put your predicted grade on your UCAS reference; this is standard. Check with your tutor what your predications are and also, you can ask for a copy of your reference. It's your right to see what they've said about you. If you see on the reference that there is not enough written about your strengths, you can ask your tutor to include more information on the reference (your tutor might not like it but you can still ask!).

Make sure that you enter on your form all your GCSEs and the correct grades, you would be surprised how many students omit to include all their GCSEs or other examinations they've sat; including music, dance, karate, etc. - it all counts.

Sell yourself in your personal statement, list all your achievements, activities outside of school, charity work, what you like doing,what you hope to achieve later in life, etc. Then get a relative or one of your tutors to read it for you. Make sure there are absolutely no grammatical or spelling errors. Go over your personal statement several times until you are really happy with it. Good Luck!
Original post by AllieGeorgetown
Your tutor will put your predicted grade on your UCAS reference; this is standard. Check with your tutor what your predications are and also, you can ask for a copy of your reference. It's your right to see what they've said about you. If you see on the reference that there is not enough written about your strengths, you can ask your tutor to include more information on the reference (your tutor might not like it but you can still ask!).

Make sure that you enter on your form all your GCSEs and the correct grades, you would be surprised how many students omit to include all their GCSEs or other examinations they've sat; including music, dance, karate, etc. - it all counts.

Sell yourself in your personal statement, list all your achievements, activities outside of school, charity work, what you like doing,what you hope to achieve later in life, etc. Then get a relative or one of your tutors to read it for you. Make sure there are absolutely no grammatical or spelling errors. Go over your personal statement several times until you are really happy with it. Good Luck!

This thread is from 2008...

Latest

Trending

Trending