The Student Room Group

Computer science at oxford. Help please!

Hi.
My AS results just came out and it turns out that I got History A, Geography A, Computing C, Maths B and that is far from great for Oxford standards. The thing is, I want to drop computing now, but do you think that it would make me look bad. The last thing I want is to looe like I don't give a damn about a subject I am so passionate about.
And then there is maths. A B in maths is not what they want. It was statistics that pulled me down, but I can always retake.
Should I even apply to oxford now?

Any ideas, please.

Thanks in advance :smile:
You might want to do some research as to what a Computer Science degree contains if you haven't already. The only reason I say this is because I applied and I didn't realise how much maths was involved. At your interview at Oxford it will be very hard for you if you find A-Level Maths hard. In fact, it will still be hard if you find A-Level Maths easy so bear that in mind. Also from your A-level scores it looks like you might be a more discursively orientated candidate...so perhaps you might want to consider another subject.

Another alternative is to put your AS marks as pending on the UCAS application and then the universities will only see your GCSE and Predicted grades. This is what I did.
As regards to Computing, do not worry. They don't care. Computing at A-level is very much unlike what you will come across at University.
The thing is that I know how much maths is involved. I find AS maths easy and am even going onto doing AEA maths. it's just bad luck and poor organisation around exam time that made me get a B.
I'm not a discursive applicant. i had other subjects in mind, but until a year ago i set my mind on computer science
Have a look at this: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/index.html

For Computer Science you MUST have Maths, and Further Maths or a science is recommended. No mention of Computing. If anything, they'll be wondering why you don't have FM/science rather than Computing.
if i put my AS marks as pending, the predicted grade that they may see is a B.
Another option may be to apply for 2010 entry. that way, i can retake maths, have 3 A's, and also consolidate my mathematical and computing skills
Sports Racer
Have a look at this: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/index.html

If anything, they'll be wondering why you don't have FM/science rather than Computing.

I am picking up AS further maths for year 13
With A in History and Geography and B in maths, and a Further Maths AS, will my chances be good enough. i can tell them that i am retaking maths.
I also suffer from dyspraxia, so they may be able to pardon me
Will I be able to apply to Oxford and other universities that demand an A in maths with a B in maths, given that I can reassure them that I am going to retake a module next year?
Who knows...you may well get an offer but it will certainly by an A in maths. My offer from imperial was AAAA so they can get quite tough. The other thing I would say is that it seemed to me to be a massive disadvantage not doing Further Maths A-Level for Oxford application.

Having said that, as is the case with all this, if you are really a very good applicant then they will let you in anyway. A very small percentage get an EE offer, so if you are in this lucky few then obviously it doesn't matter. My advice is to apply this year and see what happens.
thanks
Reply 11
Dont retake stats.. i took D1 and M1.. D1 is perfect for computer science.. and its piss easy also (compared to other modules)... failing that, just do M1 & M2, hear M2 isnt that bad compared to S1 (which every one at my college hated)
thanks, but i don't need to retake stats. i got an A in that. 83/100
It was C1 and C2 that I flopped. But then again, i was getting 90%+ in the past exam papers and was very good at maths. It's just a big shock that I got 79/100 in C1 and 76/100 in C2.

I'm gonna retake C1 and C2, or just C2 alone. what do you think?. I need only 2 marks more.
Reply 13
retake them both.
If you're college hasn't certificated your AS results then you've got nothing to know about (if they've certificated it it'll say something like "AS level Mathematics: grade B", otherwise it'll just give you a list of module results)- they won't even see your AS grades. You should be getting 90s in c1 and c2, so if you're the sort of person who fluffs exams now and again, you need to pick up as much slack as you can get. You need to make sure you're predicted As, though, and don't let your school tell you that you can't do further maths with a b. Moan and whinge and assure them that your exam results don't reflect your true performance and get your current maths teacher to back you up.

Drop computing, they really look upon it scathingly- if you do it they won't hold it against you but it certainly won't do you any favours. They will completely understand you dropping it and they'll instantly warm to you in the interview if you talk about how you were disappointed with the lack of serious academic content and the strong focus on IT skills.

Latest

Trending

Trending