The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Drop ICT like the plague. The other two are far stronger as science subjects. ICT won't help a CS application.
Reply 2
ICT is a waste of time. Drop it.
Reply 3
As above, drop ICT. It's boring, you learn nothing of use and it's not respected at all (regarded as a soft subject).

Maths will help big time!
Either drop ICT (because it's of no use, it's soft, and some universities, e.g. Imperial, won't even allow it in the offer they give you), or Chemistry simply because it was your worst grade, if you feel you can't bring that up to a higher grade at A2.
I did Maths, English, Music Tech, ICT and General Studies at A level.

I wish I never did ICT. It was a waste of time AND I got a crappy grade in it because my teacher hated me for being smarter than her >_>

I should have chosen Physics instead.

But back on track...

It completely depends on what university you want to go to. I wouldn't think the places lower down the tables would mind too much about ICT; hell some respectable unis even accept General Studies! (Birmingham, Leeds are two off the top of my head).
Maths definitely then either Further Maths or a Science or both. ICT or computing, followed by any other subject.
Pepe Le Poosh
Maths definitely then either Further Maths or a Science or both. ICT or computing, followed by any other subject.

Pepe Le Poosh, I recommend you actually read topics not just the topic titles.
Reply 8
Penguin133
As above, drop ICT. It's boring, you learn nothing of use and it's not respected at all (regarded as a soft subject).

Maths will help big time!

^ He's absolutely right, and it's not like i'm biased because he's doing the same course at the same uni at the same time as me :wink:
EvenStevens
Pepe Le Poosh, I recommend you actually read topics not just the topic titles.

Haha I usually do. Typical the one time I don't I get caught out! Thought it was a similar thread I glanced at earlier actually!! :frown:

OP it's up to you. Do what you enjoy, Maths is essential and ICT could be useful. A science would help but just check universities individual requirements subject wise. Just do what you think you can do best in and will enjoy the most.
Reply 10
Pepe Le Poosh
Haha I usually do. Typical the one time I don't I get caught out! Thought it was a similar thread I glanced at earlier actually!! :frown:

OP it's up to you. Do what you enjoy, Maths is essential and ICT could be useful. A science would help but just check universities individual requirements subject wise. Just do what you think you can do best in and will enjoy the most.

I only did GCSE ICT but from that and my friend who did A-Level ICT i can say that what you learn in ICT will be completely useless for a CS degree. The scope of ICT doesn't even scratch the surface of what you'll even learn in the first year of a CS course - I'd suggest dropping it, there's much more useful subjects (Maths and F. Maths) and i have a severe hate for the subject because learning how to use spreadsheets is a pitiful excuse for an A-Level. :P
Reply 11
Hang fire! I know everyones shouting drop ICT cos it's useless (and tbh it isn't respected) but offers for computer science are often AAB or ABB and they say "A in maths" or something.

but what if you are good ict? and gurantee an A in it but not chemistry? some unis won't care which a levels you have as long as you have maths.

in an ideal world yes drop ict or pyscology - but just as long as you dont' get rid of the a level you can guarentee a good mark in!
Reply 12
thanks for your help people, just was reading over my results and found that i got an A in ICT, as i forgot the mark that i got in the January exam ! lol
so i dont really see droping that now. i think it will be chemistry as i dont really see getting a A/B in it.
Reply 13
what uni you going to? ict can be help full in system development as you need to use sql and some design theory/skill such dfd's and flow charts.
Reply 14
hpancholi
what uni you going to? ict can be help full in system development as you need to use sql and some design theory/skill such dfd's and flow charts.

In the same way that Art would help with interface design.

i.e. Not significantly enough to prefer it over another more appropriate subject.
Reply 15
Drop ICT or Chem (preferably ICT, as chem isn't a soft subject). I say drop chem and not psychology as psychology will help you with any artificial intelligence modules
Reply 16
orionmoo
Drop ICT or Chem (preferably ICT, as chem is a soft subject). I say drop chem and not psychology as psychology will help you with any artificial intelligence modules

Eh? Care to elaborate on the overlap between Psychology at A Level and Undergrad AI? :confused:
Reply 17
psychology at A-level may help if you have any HCI modules, but not AI...
Reply 18
Well ok may be at masters level more so. For instantance behaviour modelling and stuff.... ignore me. But it would be useful for a big research project
Reply 19
Don't drop ICT if you're on course for an A. A bad grade in a respected subject will be no help.

Latest

Trending

Trending