The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There 26000 people with 3 A's. While oxbridge take in about 3000 (guestimate) - so there will good number of people who were / will rejected by Oxbridge. It is very close to lottery :frown:
Reply 2
A levels are over rated; they don't compare to other qualifications like the IB. As rnshan said, there are just too many people getting 3As nowadays so what is the standard?

Oxbridge probably requires 3As but to be accepted they look at your references, personal statement and interview (if applicable)
~charmaine~
Who has great GCSE results and at least 3As at AS but not get an offer from Oxbridge? If so, what do you think have gone wrong?

Are you one of those people? If you are, then maybe the problem is your atrocious grammar.
Reply 4
i was predicted (and got) 5 As at A level and didn't get an offer. Someone i know got a few Ds at AS and did. It is very dependent on your interview and the type of person you are.
rnshan
There 26000 people with 3 A's. While oxbridge take in about 3000 (guestimate) - so there will good number of people who were / will rejected by Oxbridge. It is very close to lottery :frown:

Also dont forget the many who don't apply to oxbridge.
Reply 6
It takes much more than grades to get into Oxbridge.
I got 4A's and got rejected by oxford.
Reply 8
Excellent grades are a pre-requisite, it all depends on the interview!
Reply 9
Me. And thousands of others like me. Grades are just the starting point with Oxbridge. Everybody who applies has got great GCSEs and at least 3 As at AS, and is predicted at least 3 As at A2.
It's after this that the hard work starts. You have to make your application stand out from all the others by shining in your submitted work, PS, references, admission tests and interviews. That is what makes the difference between those who get offers and those who get rejected.
Yeah, I did get my 4 As as predicted. I am doing very well where I am. Was I good enough for Cambridge? If I am honest, probably not.
Reply 10
I've got an 'a' in every module of my 4 A levels, yet I didn't get an offer from Oxford. I think I messed up my second interview with the management tutor, even though I thought I did really well in my interview with the economics tutor.
Oh well, Que cera, cera.
I really cocked up one of my interviews, and the other 2 were mediocre at best, so I assume that's why they didn't take me.
Reply 12
At least four people I know, along with thousands of others.
rnshan
It is very close to lottery :frown:
I think that's an exaggeration, even though there may be some element of truth. I had a good idea of which people in my school would get offers even before people talked to me about their interviews.
Reply 13
rnshan

I think 3000 is a fair bit on the low side, but I guess you also have to consider that there's also places being taken by people who aren't doing A levels getting in too.
Reply 14
silent ninja
Also dont forget the many who don't apply to oxbridge.

agreed - but there are IBs and foreigners too. :smile:
Reply 15
Slumpy
I think 3000 is a fair bit on the low side, but I guess you also have to consider that there's also places being taken by people who aren't doing A levels getting in too.

You are right- it is about 8000 :eek:

some additional hope :woo:
~charmaine~
Who has great GCSE results and at least 3As at AS but not get an offer from Oxbridge? If so, what do you think have gone wrong?

One of my friends got 13A* and 5As at AS and didn't get in
Reply 17
jessiainscough
One of my friends got 13A* and 5As at AS and didn't get in

my theory of 'lottery' is validated. :cool:
Reply 18
rnshan
my theory of 'lottery' is validated. :cool:

Not not really...

Grades place :nah:
The interview is so important...about 12 people I know went for interviews and only three of them got offers.

One of my friends went in for langauges and said the German paper they asked her to do was impossible.

Latest

Trending

Trending