The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I know at a lot of Unis the first year of study doesn't count towards your degree but I heard that the first year of UCL Law counts towards the final degree result...is that true?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
No it's not true at all. Only 2nd and final years count.
Onearmedbandit
No it's not true at all. Only 2nd and final years count.

onearmedbandit, is the first year very important because the grade you achieve is what the law firms see when you apply for your training-contract?

or do you apply after your second year?

thanks
ifyouwannaberalphslover
onearmedbandit, is the first year very important because the grade you achieve is what the law firms see when you apply for your training-contract?

or do you apply after your second year?

thanks

If you plan on applying for vacation placements (which you would do during your 2nd year) then yes, your results will be important because it's all the law firms will have to judge your academic performance at university.

Generally they say that so long as you're "on course" for a 2:1 you should be ok, but given the competitiveness for placements at top firms you'll probably want to do as well as you can.

That said, don't worry too much if you don't do fantastically. Law firms know what a big learning curve the first year is and generally people do much better in 2nd year, so they'll take it into account. A lot will also rest on your actual application and interview performance.
Reply 24
does the law faculty organise any events just for the law students?
Well, the law society does but I'm not sure what their official position is with regards to the faculty itself.

But the bottom line is that there are plenty of law-only events :smile:
Just printed out all the prelim reading! Read one of the WLO articles and the property one, they're really interesting, so to anyone putting it off - they're not that bad really! Although i haven't started the massive booklet on contract law yet which looks a bit painful.
brokenheroes
Just printed out all the prelim reading! Read one of the WLO articles and the property one, they're really interesting, so to anyone putting it off - they're not that bad really! Although i haven't started the massive booklet on contract law yet which looks a bit painful.

the worst looking booklet is the one about how to read law in a library.....

lol
ifyouwannaberalphslover
the worst looking booklet is the one about how to read law in a library.....

lol

indeed - 25 pages telling me how to read! im scared! :no: hahah
brokenheroes
indeed - 25 pages telling me how to read! im scared! :no: hahah

haha :biggrin: a massive book telling me how to read even 'massiver' books
Does anyone know if you can buy books from the reading list online, just incase waterstones sells out!
xxxx
yep, theyre on amazon.
brokenheroes

I dont understand much of them!
lol
xxx
Reply 33
i still haven't received a reading list- could anybody please tell me what's on it so that i don't turn up on the 22nd empty-handed! :smile:
brokenheroes
yep, theyre on amazon.

where's the reading list? online?

all i was sent was all the prelim exercises, which only instructed me to buy like 1 book???
Reply 35
yea i'l like to know which books to get too apart from Turpin and Tomkins British Government and the Constitution which we need for Public law I??
Thats all you need, and a law dictionary, and possibly one of the books either 'an introduction to law' or 'the law machine'

apparently we'll be told if we need more books when we start
Has anyone else got the Fresher booklet yet?

The events seems quite fun, although a day trip to France on a coach sounds like a lot of the day will be spent on a coach feeling ill :tongue:
ifyouwannaberalphslover
it's either or

they both serve the same purpose. i went for the law machine - more interesting title :smile: it's a good read! (kinda...)

That's why I picked The Law Machine too :p:

I was surprised by how anti-barrister it is :\ In the section detailing what a barrister does etc, it seems to constantly compare it with a solicitors role & say how the solicitor is so much better. It was a bit random.
maxineashleigh
That's why I picked The Law Machine too :p:

I was surprised by how anti-barrister it is :\ In the section detailing what a barrister does etc, it seems to constantly compare it with a solicitors role & say how the solicitor is so much better. It was a bit random.

it was written by solicitors......lol :smile:

does anyone know if we can pick and choose between the law freshers' events, and just do the ones we want to, or is it all or nothing?????

the form they sent doesn't allow you to pick, it just allows you to buy the pack?

Latest

Trending

Trending