The Student Room Group

Fashion Marketing courses at various unis and their reputation

hey :smile:
I'm a senior at high school and want to study Fashion Management or Marketing or Merchandising or whatever (I haven't decided yet :wink: ) in England. Since I'm not from there and I'm not able to visit the open days, I need to get information from anyone who knows something.
My selection of unis include University of Central Lancashire, Manchester Metropolitan as well as the Manchester University, University of the Arts London, Southampton Solent, Nottingham Trent, University College for the Creative Arts (Epsom) and Northumbria. I have to say that I'm not really convinced by the latter one (in terms of the location... seems to be in the middle of nowhere :wink:)
(Unfortunately) I'm very demanding, that doesn't make the selection easier. Facilities, environment, social aspects and of course the course itself are really important to me. My course should have good links to the fashion industry, to have a foot in the door so to speak.
What universities have a good reputation for art/fashion courses? Does it really matter if they are ex-polys?
London and Manchester are my favorite because of the big city atmosphere, but the living expenses are enormous!!
Please give me any advice you have... I'd be soooo thankful :smile:

PS: Any other international students here who want to study the same?

Scroll to see replies

If you want to do fashion marketing northumbria is basically one of the best places to do it - its in Newcastle - so not really the middle of nowhere - if you go onto graduate fashion week - website - you'll see that loads of the marketing awards are won by northumbria - and it has very good industry links - 4 year course with a year out in industry - the facilities are good in a new design building, and their are trips every year - no it doesn't matter if its an ex-poly - i'am starting their fashion design degree in september!
aquanilo
hey :smile:
I'm a senior at high school and want to study Fashion Management or Marketing or Merchandising or whatever (I haven't decided yet :wink: ) in England. Since I'm not from there and I'm not able to visit the open days, I need to get information from anyone who knows something.
My selection of unis include University of Central Lancashire, Manchester Metropolitan as well as the Manchester University, University of the Arts London, Southampton Solent, Nottingham Trent, University College for the Creative Arts (Epsom) and Northumbria. I have to say that I'm not really convinced by the latter one (in terms of the location... seems to be in the middle of nowhere :wink:)
(Unfortunately) I'm very demanding, that doesn't make the selection easier. Facilities, environment, social aspects and of course the course itself are really important to me. My course should have good links to the fashion industry, to have a foot in the door so to speak.
What universities have a good reputation for art/fashion courses? Does it really matter if they are ex-polys?
London and Manchester are my favorite because of the big city atmosphere, but the living expenses are enormous!!
Please give me any advice you have... I'd be soooo thankful :smile:

Where fashion is concerned, you can't go wrong with LCF. I'd say its the most respected place for fashion orientated course in the UK.

The problem with the other places you mentioned, aside from not being as reputable, is that they are not in London. Whilst you might like this, to get a well rounded education within the fashion world, you need to be in London, you need to immerse yourself in the shows/designers/culture; and to do this (seriously), you need to be in London.

This is what I've been told by many many many people in the industry, careers advisors, and students.
Reply 3
I'd personally say avoid LCF with a stick. My friend was on the fashion merch management course and she says it's a joke. Full of unsuccessful art students and people who don't speak a word of english. When it came to group projects (which is nearly every single one) she was the only one doing any work, and they apparently twisted it so it looked like they'd done it all

I don't know how people find the merch management course at my uni (westminster), but i've heard good things from the PR departments. Whereas I'm in the fashion department and we have excellent links. However you have to remember that most fashion management courses will come under buisiness school umbrellas, not fashion. I suppose you could get in with people in the fashion department though which wouldn't hurt?

Ravensbourne, which is moving next to the O2 in 2010 has a brilliant promotion course, however you have to get onto the course as a fashion design student and do all the pathways to get through

UCCA epsom is doing well on fashion design at the moment. However you would probably have to rely on the links from the fashion design course

University of Manchester is a well respected university and you would hope you have good tutors from that. Though I've heard bad things about fashion design courses at the big universities.

Nottingham Trent is brilliant for textiles and has the actual student life.

The advantage of being in London is the obvious industry links

Do not let people trick you into picking LCF because it has the word "fashion" in the name. They've lived on that reputation for too long and are scamming students for stupid amounts of money (my friend in final year fashion design had 5 minutes contact time a week and there was no promotion of students apart from a room full of everyones buisiness cards). If you want to go there that's great but research all universities good and bad sides
Reply 4
Londonscalling
If you want to do fashion marketing northumbria is basically one of the best places to do it - its in Newcastle - so not really the middle of nowhere - if you go onto graduate fashion week - website - you'll see that loads of the marketing awards are won by northumbria - and it has very good industry links - 4 year course with a year out in industry - the facilities are good in a new design building, and their are trips every year - no it doesn't matter if its an ex-poly - i'am starting their fashion design degree in september!

What's their design degree like? I'm 2nd year at westminster and curious how everyone else runs their fashion design courses. It seems to be such a specific subject and impossible to know who's the best anymore!
Reply 5
Northumbria does have an excellent reputation as a design university, yet I have to agree with you on the fact that it is in the middle of nowhere and you may have to travel right into Newcastle for a decent night out, which put me right off.

Actually Northumbria is right in the middle of Newcastle (there is one bit out at Longhirst - but the new fashion/design building is 5 minutes walk from grey's monument)
I was just about to say that also - Northumbria design building is in the city - great location! Their design degree looks really good - haven't started it yet - 4 year course - 1 year in industry, lots of projects wiht industry, trips - it is impossi ble to know who is the best as fashion design sucess is to do with individual talent - although a good indicator is going to visit graduate fashion week and see the stands, university shows and who wins the award and see which university gives u the best vibe thats what I did and Northumbria had one of the biggest stands and seemed to be a varied course wiht a good graduate prospects in the fashion industry
Reply 7
Yesterday I found out about the Glasgow Caledonian University. They offer a Fashion Marketing and a Fashion Business Course. But I think there isn't that much information given on the website.
Do you know anything about this course / uni or about Glasgow itself? I'm concerned it would be worse than Northumbria (sorry, I really like the uni and especially the course, but I can't cope with the location... I picture myself in a small town surrounded by hills. Maybe I'm wrong, so please correct me (I just have the cliches in mind)).
However, the huge advantage of a Scottish uni is that I wouldn't have to pay any tution fees. But is it worth it?
Reply 8
glasgow isn't a small town...
Northumbria is not a in the countryside its in the centre of NEWCASTLE which is a town and yeah its an amazing location. i think you shoudl go and visit it as its not in the countryside at all.
Reply 10
I'm not a fashion student, but I will be attending Nottingham Trent come October (for Graphic Design). -I don't know about fashion-specific industry links but the Art and Design School (of NTU) has a 97% graduate employment rate (within the first 6 months of graduating) which is one of the highest in the country. As mentioned by others, it also has a newly refurbished Arts building, which is literally city centre. The city has a thriving social scene, with a vast array of good quality student accomodation (a lot of which is also city centre) and really good transport links. I believe it is also a lot cheaper in terms of living-costs/rent etc. than a number of other cities in the UK.

Can I ask where you're coming from that will get you free education in Scotland? Somewhere in the EU presumably?
Reply 11
No, sorry, I expressed myself in a wrong way. It's not that I wouldn't have to pay any fees, but I can take up a loan and repay it once I earn over £15,000 a year. I meant I wouldn't have to pay anything during my studies.
And now to your question; I'm from France.
Reply 12
aquanilo
No, sorry, I expressed myself in a wrong way. It's not that I wouldn't have to pay any fees, but I can take up a loan and repay it once I earn over £15,000 a year. I meant I wouldn't have to pay anything during my studies.
And now to your question; I'm from France.

Actually I asked because I'm pretty sure that studying for a degree in a Scottish university is not only free for Scottish nationals (<- this is definitely true), but also for anyone from an EU country, apart from, outrageously (and I'm not sure what the justification is for this :mad: ), the rest of the UK (England, NI and Wales).

So, you should definitely check that out. -You would still, obviously, have to pay all your living costs, accomodation etc., but may well be eligable for free tuition.
Hi,

I'm currently going into my 3rd year of Fashion Marketing at Nottingham Trent Uni and i love it! I really recommend both the course and the city. And it's further up north so it's definitely cheaper than London!
Reply 14
yeah nottingham trent is definitely one of my top choices :smile: but at the moment i consider not to go for marketing but for the creative side of the business.
is the fashion marketing course at not trent more focused on the theoretical stuff with lots of math and statistics or is it more practical work? though the title is the same, the course at northumbria is set up more creatively (where you learn about fashion design, product development, new media, graphics, illustration and photographic styling and promotional techniques). i think i would like the fashion communication and promotion at not trent too, but i'm not sure if the job prospects are as good as if i would study the marketing and branding course.
well...i'm torn :/ can you give my any advice on marketing+branding vs. communication+promotion? i know approximately what to expect but i would love to learn more and to get a deeper insight from first-hand.
and besides, which trips did you do? have you been in new york?
Reply 15
I'm actually applying for the same type of courses (mostly Fashion Marketing) hopefully so I can go there September 2009. I have to agree that London will be the best place for doing a job but living there is so expensive unless you live in an unpleasent place for 3-4 years. Remember you can always go to London after your degree or maybe for a Post-grad?

Here are some details about Unis and courses:

Fashion Marketing- London Met Uni (200 points)

BIGGER CITIES (except London):
Fashion Retail Management- Birmingham City Uni (240 points)- Birmingham has its own modern designer shops area and it is the UK's 2nd city; so there are strong links. I went to visit it and there is nice accomodation and good facilities.
International Fashion Marketing- Manchester Met Uni (280 points)
Fashion and Textile Retailing- Uni of Manchester (300 points)
Retail Buying (Fashion)- De Montfort Uni (240 points)
Fashion Marketing- Northumbria University (280 points)
Fashion Marketing- Nottingham Trent (300 points)

OUTSIDE/NON/SMALLER CITIES:
Fashion Management- UCA~ Epsom (80 points- very low and I don't know why)
Fashion Marketing- Northampton (220 points)- A nice course and environment but Northampton is a large town (not a city) and when I visited it was quite quiet.
Fashion and Textile Management, Buying and Retailing- Huddersfield (240+ points)
Fashion Management with Marketing- Southampton Solent Uni (160 points)

I don't think I've made any mistakes there. If you see anything you are interested in go on the Uni's website and find out more. I don't know why UCA only wants 80 points- it is a normal 3 year BA (Hons) course (does anyone know?).

Let me know how you get on.
:smile:
aquanilo, wondering what you are doing now, this posted in 2008 and im really interested in doing fashion management or marketing , any tips anyone can help with university's and courses?
We know that most Luxury Houses are French so why not get your training from the people who invented it? Grenoble Ecole de Management has launched a new MSc in Fashion, Design and Luxury Management starting from September 2012. Students can opt to be based in either of GGSB’s Grenoble or London Campuses, and will have the opportunity of studying in both locations. See here for more details http://businessbecause.com/news/member-stories-1/grenoble-new-msc-in-fashion-design-and-luxury-management-81267
did you apply to LCF? xx
Reply 19
I got conditional offers for Fashion Marketing from Uni of Manchester, Leeds and Notthingham but cant decide which of these one to make a firm choice ,also considering the fact that Iam coming from small country from Europe. What would you choose :biggrin: ?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest