The Student Room Group

Quick UCAS question.

Well, I'll have to explain my GCSE Maths' teacher's ridiculous idea first. He kinda forcibly made us take GCSEs in Maths & Statistics a year early, so that we could leave with an AS. Now, everything was so damn **** at AS (Year 11) that I got a C,U,U in the different modules.

I have just now, remembered this sweet story after thinking about the UCAS form. Do I have to declare it on the form when applying? I think the average was an E, I probably miscounted. And if I do have to declare it, will the unis see it as a very bad thing? It'll just be a fifth AS, and I'll probably have my predicted grades of AAA. Or should I retake some of the modules to make the grades better? Can I do that without continuing the subject to A2?

Too many questions?:p:
I think you need to declare it, as you need to declare you're qualifications. I wouldn't worry about it putting off universities, GCSE's are kind of like a back up to look at if you haven't got much results from you're AS, and also just to get a general idea of what you studied and how you did in them. If they look at yours and see you got an E for maths and then B's and A's at other subjects, they aren't going to worry alot, unless the course you're applying for asks for a particular grade at GCSE in that subject.

For example Primary education, you will need GCSE's in science/maths/english at C or above.

Don't know if this has helped :p:
Reply 2
If your overall grade was U, you don't have to declare it because it isn't a qualification. So that would end the problem.

The highest mark (assuming even split across, so 100x3) you could have got for your module graded C would have been 69. To get an E at AS you need 120/300 (40%). As far as I know you don't get a UMS score for U graded modules, so if you really did get UU for other two modules, your overall grade must have been U. Find that results sheet and check!

It is also possible that these modules were never "cashed in". The best thing to do is to check with your exams officer what the position is, because your application must include all qualifications that have been certificated. So if by some chance memory is playing you false and you did get a pass grade, and a certificate has been requested or issued, you will have to declare it otherwise your application would be treated as null and void if it came to light that you hadn't. In these days of electronic transfers of results it isn't worth the risk as it's just too easy for UCAS to check.

Latest

Trending

Trending