The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Further mathematics at AS level is essential for Cambridge, and the full A level is highly desirable, so you cannot meet the minimum entry requirements and are likely to be rejected out of hand.
Reply 2
You can get in without it.
Though if it was offered and you didn't take it, you will be severely disadvantaged.
Reply 3
Your subjects look alright, but since Further Mathematics IS offered in India, then to be honest chances of being rejected before interview are high.
I got in without further maths, but I think that's only because we don't do A-Levels in New Zealand and there's no equivalence of further maths there.

I did, however, do an extra bridging course to cover most of the further maths pure and some of the stats material.
Perhaps you should explain the situation to the college. I would say "take STEP before applying" but that's too late now for the application cycle anyway.
Reply 6
rtyrty
Reply 7
thomaskurian89
I'm on a gap year now. Is there any way for me to study Further Mathematics in the UK?

Sure. But doing a GAP year just to get into Cambridge is plain silly. Graduating from Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all.. The chances of rejection are still high even if you do take FM during your GAP year.
Reply 8
i'm not taking the gap year just to get into Cambridge. but is there any way for me to learn Further Mathematics now?
RobbieH
Sure. But doing a GAP year just to get into Cambridge is plain silly.

I agree. And don't forget that half of offer holders don't attain the STEP requirements anyway.
Reply 10
i dont see why you couldn't study further maths in india...certainly for AQA the only text books for FP2,3,4 are on their website so you could use them and i'm sure there must be some international schools in india that do a levels where you could enter as an external candidate. though in places it might be hard to teach yourself- though on the other hand it would show good motivation even to do a couple of modules off your own back. :wink:
Reply 11
India is a big place you know...
Reply 12
rtyrty
Reply 13
Self-study it and take the CIE/Edexcel exam?
Reply 14
splee
Self-study it and take the CIE/Edexcel exam?

Would I have to take the CIE only in Further Mathematics or in all the subjects?

We don't do A-levels in my country.
Reply 15
You can take exams from multiple boards, though generally you should do the modules of one subject with one board. CIE do not have modular exams, however.
Reply 16
Zhen Lin
You can take exams from multiple boards, though generally you should do the modules of one subject with one board. CIE do not have modular exams, however.

In India he has only 2 choices: Edexcel and CIE.
I think taking Edexcel is easier, as it is modular.
Reply 17
But the CIE/Edexcel are conducted only after October 15 (application date). So is there any point in me writing them?
Reply 18
thomaskurian89
But the CIE/Edexcel are conducted only after October 15 (application date). So is there any point in me writing them?

many people applied with Further Mathematics grade pending, i think.
So I guess there's no problem.
thomaskurian89

Plenty of people doing A-Levels apply before they have their results and receive a "conditional" offer. Just inform your College that you will be taking it, in your UCAS application and the COAF. (The offer, if you do get one, will probably be conditional on STEP too anyway)

Latest

Trending

Trending