The Student Room Group

Anyone volunteered at a hospital!!!

Hi

JUst wanted to know what's it's like volunteering at a hospital, it would be great if anyone could answer the following questions:

What do your duties include?
Do you get treated well by the nurses?
Can you choose what ward you want to work on?
Do you have to wear half sleeves?

Any info would be appreciated
Thanx in advance:biggrin:
Reply 1
Well, I volunteer in A+E, which basically involves making tea and going round with the tea trolley handing out drinks/biscuits etc to patients + relatives.
I'm sure a lot of this changed depending which hospital you're in...
But if you are on a ward I think you do things like basically help the nurses out a bit, talk to patients, tidy up magazines and stuff...(I havent actually been on a ward yet.)

Yeah generally the nurses are nice, they know you're giving up your time voluntarily so I doubt they'd be too rude =P

Erm, about the sleeves, they tell you at the induction that you have to wear short sleeves, but I don't think anyone would say anything if you didn't tbh. (But officially, yes you are supposed to wear short sleeves).

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Thanx for the info just a few more questions:

Do you just ring your local hospital and just ask them or do you have to do it through an agency or something?
Do you have to fill out an application?
Did you choose A+E or did they choose for you?
Can you choose your hours?
Thanx alot
Reply 3
786Angel786
Thanx for the info just a few more questions:

Do you just ring your local hospital and just ask them or do you have to do it through an agency or something?
Do you have to fill out an application?
Did you choose A+E or did they choose for you?
Can you choose your hours?
Thanx alot

I also volunteer in A&E.

Yes I rung the hospital and asked them if there was anyone I could speak to about volunteering within the hospital. I was put through to a specific person who deals with the volunteers and she asked me to come for an interview. In that I sorted out my CRB check and she just basically asked me what I wanted from volunteering. I didn't have to fill out any other application although this may differ at other hospitals. I just said I wanted something wtih patient contact on a ward maybe and told her the hours I would be prepared to. She then got out a list and told me possible places I could work that they were short on volunteers for my hours. One of the options for me was A&E but other options were various wards in different departments. I'd probably advise you not to choose a stroke ward because I made this mistake and after one session of volunteering there I decided to change because it was pretty pointless (none of the patients can speak to you and it end up being a frustrating experience for both of you). I choose A&E and love it because is very varied and you get to see a lot of doctors interacting with patients which is a good experience in itself.

Edit: For the sleeves thing where I volunteer they are very strict about hygiene on A&E because of the amount of people going through. You are representing the hospital not just yourself so you need to show you care (no sleeves, little jewellery, using alcohol on hands after talking to each patient). On the ward they said I could wear jeans if I liked and generally weren't fussed. It is something you need to ask the hospital.
I work mainly in Outpatients, however walk around the hospital. As I do Voluntary work over Work Experience (there is a difference) my role is to guide patients to places within the hospital (wayfinding). I have to wear a white T-shirt with the hospital logo as well as an I.D. badge. I do it 3 hours a week. It is not too bad! :smile:
Reply 5
I volunteer in an elderly ward once a week. My duties involve making teas, handing out cutlery, handing out and helping people fill in their menus, tidying peoples tables, running errands for the nurses and just generally chatting to and keeping patients company. I phoned the voluntary services manager (whos number I found on the trust website) and came along for a meeting and there was a choice between elderly and outpatients. I can wear pretty much what I want and I have a lovelyyy green tabard!

Latest